Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge as of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge as of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:07 am

I'm doing a PLT challenge with PLT status during the challenge. The fee I was charged was not $500 (which is what I expected) but only $480.

My challenge welcome email is somewhat different from that which was posted here earlier. It says:
Good luck on your AAdvantage® Platinum challenge. While you're on this challenge, you'll enjoy AAdvantage Platinum status. Here's all the information you need to be successful.

Meet the following requirements in the timeframe listed below and you’ll earn AAdvantage Platinum through 2018.
ο Timeframe
• 04/01/2017 – 07/01/2017
ο Requirements
• 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
Or
• 16 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
So this says I will earn PLT through 2018 - doesn't that mean "until the end of 2018" (that's what "through" is supposed to mean, right?). So I'm not sure if this is just sloppy grammar and my PLT status with the challenge (in case I don't re-qualify as full PLT this year) will only last until 31 Jan 2018, or...?

Last edited by EU-US; Apr 15, 2017 at 3:25 am
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:22 am

Just an interesting addition to anyone interested in doing a challenge: I started the challenge 2 days before my first flight - transatlantic on BA metal, AA marketed flights. BA's computer system is the worst I have ever seen. Although I was immediately updated to OW Sapphire (confirmed by both AA's system and OW's system) BA's system showed me as no status and the BA reps I talked to were totally useless ("it's not in the system, nothing we can do"). So BA wanted me to pay for seat selection on Biz (which you don't have to if you are OW Sapphire), no priority lanes, etc.

The cherry on the cake is that when I tried to check in online with BA for my return flight, their system said that my checked baggage allowance was "0 pieces" and generously offered me to "pay less in advance for my "extra" baggage". It didn't allow me to check in at all without PAYING for "extra" baggage. Hell, even discount economy gets 1 piece checked in for free - as an OW Saphire flying on full fare Biz I feel really special with my 0 "free" checked luggage allowance

BA is good in the air, but their support, and their website/system totally sucks. 90% of the time I get error messages and incorrect information out of their system, and often it just doesn't work but throws random errors. Just sharing my experience... the main point was prepare for problems if you start a challenge just before a flight marketed by AA on BA metal (i.e. if your status changes after buying the ticket and before the first flight).

Last edited by EU-US; Apr 15, 2017 at 3:31 am
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by EU-US
I'm doing a PLT challenge with PLT status during the challenge. The fee I was charged was not $500 (which is what I expected) but only $480.

My challenge welcome email is somewhat different from that which was posted here earlier. It says:
Good luck on your AAdvantage® Platinum challenge. While you're on this challenge, you'll enjoy AAdvantage Platinum status. Here's all the information you need to be successful.

Meet the following requirements in the timeframe listed below and you’ll earn AAdvantage Platinum through 2018.
ο Timeframe
ο Requirements
Or
So this says I will earn PLT through 2018 - doesn't that mean "until the end of 2018" (that's what "through" is supposed to mean, right?). So I'm not sure if this is just sloppy grammar and my PLT status with the challenge (in case I don't re-qualify as full PLT this year) will only last until 31 Jan 2018, or...?
That's a potentially interesting development. It seems to indicate that status expiry may now be based on when your challenge is completed. If you find out more from AA, please let us know!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

ο Timeframe
ο Requirements
Or
Something seems amiss. The reduced fee is what I'd expect as we approach June because the challenged status is only good for six months or so. If they're making the challenge valid through Jan 2019 (i.e. 18 months or so), if expect the fee to go up, not down. So I would definitely get that expiry date confirmed (unless you're sure you'll reach the regular Platinum EQM/EQS and EQD thresholds in 2017 anyway, in which case it's a moot point).
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:53 am

I guess I will see as soon as I completed the challenge - I'm expecting that the expiration date of my PLT status will change at that point (it currently shows as valid until the end of the challenge period), so I'll post the result at that time :-)
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by ashill
Something seems amiss. The reduced fee is what I'd expect as we approach June because the challenged status is only good for six months or so. If they're making the challenge valid through Jan 2019 (i.e. 18 months or so), if expect the fee to go up, not down. So I would definitely get that expiry date confirmed (unless you're sure you'll reach the regular Platinum EQM/EQS and EQD thresholds in 2017 anyway, in which case it's a moot point).
I am pretty sure I'll make the "regular" PLT this year, so I'll find out what the new expiration date is once I completed the challenge, but haven't reached regular PLT qualifications yet. I'll post my findings then...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:59 am

Is there a challenge or a way to boost to Platinum pro anymore? Would be nice not to have to constantly pay for upgrades. I travel twice a week.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:44 pm

I reread my welcome email and it also says "you'll earn AAdvantage Platinum through 2018". But after reaching my challenge goal, my status says it's only good until Jan 31, 2018.

Looks like I'll have to give them a call to clarify. I have a trip overseas tomorrow, but I will try to give them a ring after I am back.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As indicated in the Wikipost and other posts, Challenges begun prior to mid-June normally earn status through the end of the current status year (31 Jan 2018).

Status earned the usual ways during 2017 would persist through 31 Jan 2019.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
As indicated in the Wikipost and other posts, Challenges begun prior to mid-June normally earn status through the end of the current status year (31 Jan 2018).

Status earned the usual ways during 2017 would persist through 31 Jan 2019.
I appreciate that, but the wording on their email is wrong if that is the case.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I just got off the phone with AAdvantage customer service and the rep told me that as of June 16th, a Gold challenge without immediate status would cost $140 and would last until 2019.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:18 am

Can the 10,000 EQM from Citibank Exec card count towards challenge EQMS if earned after challenge? I understand technically the answer is no but has anyone actually tested?
Old May 7, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
trying to understand challenges (i don't)

Originally Posted by raghavchadha
Confirming what @danbrew said. I got the same info when I just called.

Gold Challenge is $100 and you need 7000 EQM AND $1000 EQDs or 8 EQS AND $1000 EQDs.

He also said that he can backdate it 3-5 days, but I've heard from other places that they will do 14 days if you push hard.
I currently have gold status but haven't flown any flights yet this year. I have an upcoming return flight LAX <-> IAD in regular economy (Not basic - as far as i know) at end of june and definitely 1 more of these flights in the fall (though if i have to play the EDQ and go business, i might). I may also have a return flight LAX <-> RDU in august, likely economy. is it worth it w/those x-country miles starting at end of june and going no later than end of oct for me to try to challenge to maintain gold status?

my understanding w/challenges is you are trying to get a specific number of miles/points, whatever in a specific shorter time. so if i'm going to do 3-4 x-country flights in 3-4 mo, is this where i should ask for a challenge?

thanks for your help. and apologies for the lack of knowledge.
Old May 7, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by happytravelskh
I currently have gold status but haven't flown any flights yet this year. I have an upcoming return flight LAX <-> IAD in regular economy (Not basic - as far as i know) at end of june and definitely 1 more of these flights in the fall (though if i have to play the EDQ and go business, i might). I may also have a return flight LAX <-> RDU in august, likely economy. is it worth it w/those x-country miles starting at end of june and going no later than end of oct for me to try to challenge to maintain gold status?

my understanding w/challenges is you are trying to get a specific number of miles/points, whatever in a specific shorter time. so if i'm going to do 3-4 x-country flights in 3-4 mo, is this where i should ask for a challenge?

thanks for your help. and apologies for the lack of knowledge.
You should find all you need in the Wiki at the start of the thread. If that leaves you with a more specific question you can come back and ask it.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Centurion
Can the 10,000 EQM from Citibank Exec card count towards challenge EQMS if earned after challenge? I understand technically the answer is no but has anyone actually tested?
The answer is actually no; they must be flight earned EQM, and the Executive Card EQM are merely markers that are used for normally derived status determination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.