Wiki Posts
Search

Checking boxes as hold baggage on AA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
Checking boxes as hold baggage on AA

Does anyone have **recent** experience checking boxes on AA? The website seems to indicate that boxes are never accepted. Confusingly, it then goes on to talk about a box embargo to various destinations. I am not particularly interested in the embargo stations, but more generally in whether boxes are **ever** accepted. I have not called AA about this, and am soliciting for actual experience with attempting to check boxes. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by MeVoy
The website seems to indicate that boxes are never accepted.
Link?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What kind / size of box are you checking? I check in a cardboard box designed to hold 12 bottles of wine all the time and have never had an issue.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I have not called AA about this, and am soliciting for actual experience with attempting to check boxes. Thanks in advance.
Read the baggage info in the contract of carriage. Yes, boxes are accepted, but not to/from all regions.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

AA's practice of links/expansion within the document, rather than just providing the entire document, is tiring.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Does anyone have **recent** experience checking boxes on AA? The website seems to indicate that boxes are never accepted. Confusingly, it then goes on to talk about a box embargo to various destinations. I am not particularly interested in the embargo stations, but more generally in whether boxes are **ever** accepted. I have not called AA about this, and am soliciting for actual experience with attempting to check boxes. Thanks in advance.
I do it no problem (except for the embargo destinations).
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
never had an issue. I checked on roughly 2 months ago.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
On a recent long trip we bought a box of diapers for our one year old. Filled it up with dirty laundry and checked it in with AA for the ride home. No issues at all.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by River in Sight
On a recent long trip we bought a box of diapers for our one year old. Filled it up with dirty laundry and checked it in with AA for the ride home. No issues at all.
I scanned it as "checked a box of dirty diapers"...was like WTH
Check likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:30 am

Never had a problem when flying between non-embargoed locations and we have checked a lot of boxes over the last year, often using our full EXP luggage allowance just for boxes...
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
I also check boxes frequently, usually computer equipment in their original shipping boxes.

Additionally, agents frequently refer to my Pelican 1620 case as a box, asking if I have anything to declare in the "box."
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you to all who were kind enough to take the time to reply to my query. I am now satisfied that I can confidently check a regular-sized cardboard shipping box to my non-embargoed destination. ^^
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:29 pm

If it helps, Container Store sell a great 18"x18"x24" box which is a comfortable 2" inside the maximum size limit for check bags.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mark_T
If it helps, Container Store sell a great 18"x18"x24" box which is a comfortable 2" inside the maximum size limit for check bags.
Good info. Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
In a nutshell:

• Boxes are never accepted on southbound nonstop/direct AA-operated flights to Port-au Prince, Recife, and Salvador.
  • During the summer and winter months, boxes are not accepted on southbound nonstop/direct AA-operated flights to these cities. Exact dates vary but the summer embargo is generally June-September and the winter embargo is generally November-January. Seasonal embargoes are generally posted at least one month in advance. Some exceptions may apply for sports items, strollers (to Brazil only), and military personnel.
  • AA's definition of a box includes plastic tubs, containers, and coolers.

Boxes are otherwise accepted without issue on all other flights but are subject to the standard baggage weight and size restrictions.
rmc1 and JDiver like this.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Very nicely summarized, Three Juliet Tango. Thank you very much indeed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.