Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Priority List (“PALL”) Changes
Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Began 20 May 2017

Upgrade priority is now based on Status held first, then by rolling Elite Qualifying Dollar spend over the last 365 days
within upgrade types; see below. See this thread.

"New Upgrade Priority Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Upgrades are currently prioritized by elite status and then time of request."

As of May 20 upgrade prioritization is:
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
  1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.

2. Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)

Updated 8 June 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy
AA's response on Gary's blog... I was just repeating what they said. Keep in mind, everything related to the PALL list is murky right now with conflicting information/experience, so very possible this information is not accurate. At this point, the best way to confirm the "rules" is having individuals who traveled with a companion this month to share their anecdotal situations.
On Flt 2 LAX-JFK waiting to take off. EXP and Plat DH. We were 1-2 on a short list of 7 and both cleared at the gate using stickers for him (don't yet know which account they came from; we both have too many). #3 and #7 had the same three letters starting their surnames and didn't clear, while 3 and 4 did (the AC AAngel said there were 4 seats in J).

Of course, without knowing anybody else's status or whether the "WIL" party was hoping to upgrade to first from business, there's no way to know how it really played out.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I love this new system! Was traveling this week on kids soring break, me exp and wife plat. I had us all on same itinerary and only broke someone off with me the night before ourr departure when i saw front cabin buckets at 3. Did same before our return (both booked as one ways). For 3 segments, i cleared w my daughter at airport, we zoomed to top of list. For one segment my daughter and i cleared the night before. Interestingly on two segments, my plat wife wound up getting the upgrade too because so many people passed up the upgrade after requesting it (lots of couples). Clear as day that my nonstatus daughter was in my coat tails and the system worked as expected. Not sure how many other exps were on these flights, i assume they had already upgraded or didnt request upgrades to stay with spouse or family. Some plats were scratching heads about why they got bumped down 2 spots when I added our names onto list at last minute for one segment when it became clear there were two open f seats.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I hate this system. Data Point. EXP and wife PLT. Cleared AUS JFK at 100 hours on the outbound. On the return yesterday JFK AUS there were 5 seats open in J. I was #1 on the list, wife was #1 1. I asked the GA to give my companion her inherited status and showed her the information from the AA website. She said it could not be done, as my wife had her own FF number on the PNR (PNR was not split). We have 75 E500 between us, so that was not an issue. Clearly when going to airport control the front line people still don't know what they are doing or what the "rules" are. Prior to Jan 1, 2017, the GA would bump my PLT no questions asked, if they didn't do it proactively. This was especially true at DFW. I asked her to put us back in coach. At least we had the middle seat empty. The FA also offered her a snack and drink as if that inherited, so that was very nice of her. It also may have been because it left 2 hours late. As mentioned upthread, perhaps leaving off her FF # might have made it easier, but all our reservations have it on there now. Writing CS, doubt it will do anything.

edit- sorry for weird formatting

Last edited by boerne; Apr 28, 2017 at 10:11 am Reason: wierd formatting
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:25 am

I wonder if AA actually thinks this change is working? It seems clearly not to be, and now the AAgents seem to be much less helpful about working around it when it's a problem.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by boerne
I hate this system. Data Point. EXP and wife PLT. Cleared AUS JFK at 100 hours on the outbound. On the return yesterday JFK AUS there were 5 seats open in J. I was #1 on the list, wife was #1 1. I asked the GA to give my companion her inherited status and showed her the information from the AA website. She said it could not be done, as my wife had her own FF number on the PNR (PNR was not split). We have 75 E500 between us, so that was not an issue. Clearly when going to airport control the front line people still don't know what they are doing or what the "rules" are. Prior to Jan 1, 2017, the GA would bump my PLT no questions asked, if they didn't do it proactively. This was especially true at DFW. I asked her to put us back in coach. At least we had the middle seat empty. The FA also offered her a snack and drink as if that inherited, so that was very nice of her. It also may have been because it left 2 hours late. As mentioned upthread, perhaps leaving off her FF # might have made it easier, but all our reservations have it on there now. Writing CS, doubt it will do anything.

edit- sorry for weird formatting
From what I can understand of the situation from the description, the data point suggests that one really needs to get their ducks in a row with the EXP line and not roll the dice at the airport. Assume, that the request at the gate is not going to happen. Then, based on reports in the thread, assume that the AC will likewise not be able to assist. Granted, that's not ideal nor is it really a solution, but if you want an upgrade, 'forewarned is forearmed'...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Exp line can't help once it's under airport control. Hopefully, the AAdmirals club agents are clued in.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
From what I can understand of the situation from the description, the data point suggests that one really needs to get their ducks in a row with the EXP line and not roll the dice at the airport. Assume, that the request at the gate is not going to happen. Then, based on reports in the thread, assume that the AC will likewise not be able to assist. Granted, that's not ideal nor is it really a solution, but if you want an upgrade, 'forewarned is forearmed'...
There is nothing the EXP line can do. This is an AA systems problem, and also an expectations-setting problem since they say the system is supposed to be behaving one way and it acts in a different way.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:28 pm

I get the airport control issue and agents being uninformed, or unwilling to help. I'm just more confused by why people are letting the upgrades get to this point? Why not just call the EXP/Plat +/Plat whatever line and put the request in? Why the lack of proactivity? I must be missing something here.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:31 pm

I get the airport control issue and agents being uninformed, or unwilling to help. I'm just more confused by why people are letting the upgrades get to this point? Why not just call the EXP/Plat +/Plat whatever line and put the request in? Why the lack of proactivity? I must be missing something here.
Right, you're missing something. People aren't waiting to request at the airport. The issue is that when upgrades move from the normal waitlist to the airport waitlist (a.k.a. PALL list) the prioritization changes. On the normal waitlist, companions are prioritized together at the priority of the most elite companion. On the PALL list, each person is prioritized by their own status if they both have some sort of status.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
Right, you're missing something. People aren't waiting to request at the airport. The issue is that when upgrades move from the normal waitlist to the airport waitlist (a.k.a. PALL list) the prioritization changes. On the normal waitlist, companions are prioritized together at the priority of the most elite companion. On the PALL list, each person is prioritized by their own status if they both have some sort of status.
Thanks for the clarification, jordyn! I've only had two experiences (when not purchasing F tix) this year and in both cases, we were still number 1 and 2 on both lists. Very odd. Seems like the collective wisdom could be helped with a Wiki, e.g. If the PALL is different, consult the AC... Jeez, and I complain about DL's IT
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:11 pm

On our return flight, I was #2 and DH #4 . We had him bumped to #3 at the AC - the AAngel commented that the system was messed up. Nobody cleared the list. They boarded a dozen or so CK first, something I've never seen (that many of them). It seemed like most of them were in economy.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Similar issue to many above yesterday. At the airport (under 4 hrs), I'm #2 on the list and different PNR companion with lower status is #11 . Everyone says they can't help or do anything except for one helpful gate agent. Gate agent says "yes, there's a way, hang on" ... calls his help desk and they walk him through the process. Companion pops up at #3 after he completes the process. ^^
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by critterchick
... We had him bumped to #3 at the AC - the AAngel commented that the system was messed up. Nobody cleared the list. ...
Originally Posted by asf-07
Everyone says they can't help or do anything except for one helpful gate agent. Gate agent says "yes, there's a way, hang on" ... calls his help desk and they walk him through the process. Companion pops up at #3 after he completes the process.
Now, I definitely see the source of the frustration: less the IT, but more the front line staff. Apparently, the PALL issue can be solved with a call to the help desk.

Most disappointing is the response at the AC. I don't know what the issue is, but the AC staff seem less and less helpful of late. I don't think its too much to call a help desk. One of the major reasons for continuing to fork out $$$ for the membership year after year, is the access to AAngels...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Most disappointing is the response at the AC. I don't know what the issue is, but the AC staff seem less and less helpful of late. I don't think its too much to call a help desk. One of the major reasons for continuing to fork out $$$ for the membership year after year, is the access to AAngels...
Just get some distant relative you haven't seen in a decade who has a citi exec card to order you one with your name on it and set the spend limit at $1.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by asf-07
Similar issue to many above yesterday. At the airport (under 4 hrs), I'm #2 on the list and different PNR companion with lower status is #11 . Everyone says they can't help or do anything except for one helpful gate agent. Gate agent says "yes, there's a way, hang on" ... calls his help desk and they walk him through the process. Companion pops up at #3 after he completes the process. ^^

Well now it appears that they took a 500-mi upgrade for this. Companion is a PLT. Is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.