Wiki Posts
Search

AA6021 Lightning Strike

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
AA6021 Lightning Strike

So on final approach into LAX today, AA6021 an E175, roughly somewhere over San Bernardino, we were about ten minutes beyond the "we're landing and stow your gear" when there was a bright flash and what sounded like a muffled gunshot outside the window on the left hand side of the aircraft.

It took a few seconds to realize that we were struck by lightning because it sounded like the engine exploded. It was unsettling.

I confirmed with pilot/FO walking off that it was a lightning strike. I said it was my first. He said that it was his as well. He also said we lost altitude.

Do any of you familiar with ATC know where that might be? Would that be somewhere other than the LAX tower? I checked LAX approach for 1500z on Oct 24, but there is no mention of the strike, only how much speed they needed (200kn).

It got me thinking how many flyers have experienced this? It was my first in 500-600 flights.

Thankful for sound aircraft construction and skilled crew!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by onesocalkid
So on final approach into LAX today, AA6021 an E175, roughly somewhere over San Bernardino, we were about ten minutes beyond the "we're landing and stow your gear" when there was a bright flash and what sounded like a muffled gunshot outside the window on the left hand side of the aircraft.

It took a few seconds to realize that we were struck by lightning because it sounded like the engine exploded. It was unsettling.

I confirmed with pilot/FO walking off that it was a lightning strike. I said it was my first. He said that it was his as well. He also said we lost altitude.

Do any of you familiar with ATC know where that might be? Would that be somewhere other than the LAX tower? I checked LAX approach for 1500z on Oct 24, but there is no mention of the strike, only how much speed they needed (200kn).

It got me thinking how many flyers have experienced this? It was my first in 500-600 flights.

Thankful for sound aircraft construction and skilled crew!
For that many flights, it seems to me that you've been lucky. In 1999 I was on a short regional route, New York to DC I think, on Continental and the right wing, very near the engine, was struck. I happened to be looking outside at the rain at the precise moment of the strike, so I saw it. Similarly, no announcement was made; rather, at drinks/snacks service I overheard a flight attendant casually confirming to another passenger that it was in fact a lightning strike. As I was six, this was probably at most my dozenth flight or so.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might be able to see the altitude change on flightaware.com.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I was on flight 370 (DFW to LAX) today. No lightning strike to report but we did have to circle a couple of times over the Twentynine Palms area before continuing our descent into LAX. It was a fairly turbulent descent but a great landing. I think we landed only five minutes behind our scheduled arrival time of 13:40.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
I've had three lightning strikes in the past four years...two over the Pacific while on a holding pattern into NRT- massive thunderstorms had shut down the airport. I was on an AC 777-300- watching the moving map, we were hit precisely twice around the same area while circling at 8,000 feet. The aircraft was supposed to return to YVR but was taken out of service until the next day.

Was also struck on an AA 738 between DFW and CLT within the last year. Was quite a wild ride.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: American Airlines
Let me know when you get the floating white ball down the aisle.....while on final into Goose Bay.......after diverting because of a fire on board while crossing the pond.

Good times.....

~TG
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:55 pm

Have been on two flight that were struck by lightning. On the first one, the pilot came on an announced we had just experienced a static discharge. The latest one was on decent into SLC. The pilot said nothing, but the next day's newspaper said 4 planes landing in SLC were struck by lightning yesterday. Both were impressive with bright flash and big bang.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I had it happen once flying over the Cascades on decent into SEA at night. As you said - very unsettling. After a few moments the crew made a brief announcement about a static discharge.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Has happened to me before. You can take comfort in knowing that airframes are specifically designed for these kinds of stresses. No big deal.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Has happened to me before. You can take comfort in knowing that airframes are specifically designed for these kinds of stresses. No big deal.
Indeed. Thankfully, the Faraday cage principal works particularly well with airplanes. I'm surprised this is the OP's first lightening strike in approximately 500-600 flights. I average one about every other year. I'm not sure why it would cause a loss in altitude, though (likely unrelated).

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Indeed. Thankfully, the Faraday cage principal works particularly well with airplanes. I'm surprised this is the OP's first lightening strike in approximately 500-600 flights. I average one about every other year. I'm not sure why it would cause a loss in altitude, though (likely unrelated).

-FlyerBeek
...remind me not to fly with you if you get hit that often
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Well aware that they are made to withstand that - I've seen all the videos, but firsthand experience from my seat, next to the window, was a big deal. Your flying fun-o-meter must be cranked unbelievably high my fellow flyer talker. To each his own.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

-FlyerBeek
I'm over 370 and haven't been struck once. And I've flown into/out of DFW during some pretty nasty storms...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I consider myself pretty unflappable, but when I was on a flight struck by lightning -- heard what sounded like an explosion, saw a bright flash of light out the window, felt a jolt -- I didn't panic, but I did take a moment to reassure myself that the plane appeared still to be flying under control. In our case the pilot came on the PA very quickly and said, "Well, now you know what it feels like when an airplane is struck by lightning." He then assured us all that everything was fine.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I'm 90% sure we had a lightning strike around FL150 DFW-LHR as we were on descent approaching Heathrow in a 772 on September 13. It was one of the most bumpy 10 minutes I can remember in the past 10 years of flying. The older woman across the aisle was looking pretty anxious.

I was looking down, trying to put my international SIM card into my iPhone when there was a really bright flash and noise. It wasn't too loud, though. Then the Captain came on and told the FA's to take a seat immediately. I then put away my phone and cinched by seatbelt a little tighter, HA!

My shade was the only one in the J cabin that was raised, and it was only raised about 3 inches, so I could not be 100% sure it was a lightning strike, but it sure seemed like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.