Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to get a one-way MCI to CLT without breaking the bank?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold, gha black

Hi all, wondered if i could pick some advice off you guys

Im flying into Kansas on the 8th Dec from New York to watch a chiefs game. Now i want to leave the next day to CLT on the 9th Dec, but however i try it, one way ticket, multi city from NYC, the cost of the direct flight in economy from MCI to CLT is outrageous, and it wants me to change planes in ORD for a much cheaper cost.. Any advice as dont want to fly all over the place. Thanks

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 25, 2016 at 1:09 am
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
CLT has very limited service by LCC's like Southwest or Jetblue, and as a captive AA hub, means airfares are generally some of the highest in the US.

There are a few tricks though:

1) Book a roundtrip MCI-CLT-MCI, with departure on 12/9 and the return some date in the future. This looks to be about half of what the nonstop, one-way fare is from MCI-CLT (same flights). Fly the outbound, throw away the return.

2) Book a one way cheap fare connecting in CLT, and get off there (only works if you have no bags, and don't do it very often). For example, on 12/9 you can buy MCI-CLT-DCA or MCI-CLT-RDU for ~$125-150 depending on the times. Fly the first segment, then just leave during your connection at CLT.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:45 am

Or just buy using avios. Morning and evening flights available in Y on 9 Dec for 7,500 avios + £4.

Lunchtime flight also available in F but this is poorer value for a short flight.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:49 am

The easiest is book a round trip and throwaway the return. Looking at google flights, all the nonstops are available for a mere $283
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:08 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

2) Book a one way cheap fare connecting in CLT, and get off there (only works if you have no bags, and don't do it very often). For example, on 12/9 you can buy MCI-CLT-DCA or MCI-CLT-RDU for ~$125-150 depending on the times. Fly the first segment, then just leave during your connection at CLT.
Also runs the risk of there being a flight interruption and having AA route him through say ORD to get to his final destination that he purchased.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
Thanks for all the help. Will take the avios option. appreciate the replies
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
FYI this is a snack flight, not a meal flight -- F passengers get a small snack (like a cheese board). Y gets beverages only.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: Global Entry, 4MM, Lifetime AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by copenhagenBA
Hi all, wondered if i could pick some advice off you guys

Im flying into Kansas on the 8th Dec from New York to watch a chiefs game. Now i want to leave the next day to CLT on the 9th Dec, but however i try it, one way ticket, multi city from NYC, the cost of the direct flight in economy from MCI to CLT is outrageous, and it wants me to change planes in ORD for a much cheaper cost.. Any advice as dont want to fly all over the place. Thanks
Just to clarify, to avoid any misunderstanding when you may be speaking to someone, MCI is in Kansas City, Missouri, not Kansas.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by InPlaneSight
Just to clarify, to avoid any misunderstanding when you may be speaking to someone, MCI is in Kansas City, Missouri, not Kansas.
Likewise, the city (whether in Missouri, or Kansas, or combined) would NEVER be called just "Kansas" (which I think is what the OP was trying to do) - it'll always be "Kansas City".

While we're at it, "Kansas State" does not refer to the State of Kansas, but rather to a university therein, Kansas State University.

(Of the fifty states, I think only "New York State" and "Washington State" are commonly referred to in those terms. That's because there's a city called "New York" (or "New York City"), within New York State, and a city called "Washington" (or "Washington, DC", but never "Washington City") far away from Washington State.)

Enjoy!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:57 pm

Would the recommendations be different if one were not European? Is "European" code for something?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Would the recommendations be different if one were not European? Is "European" code for something?
I assumed it was simply a way of noting that the OP might not be as familiar with US geography/terminology, airline routes, and connections as the rest of us. And the above helpful explanation of place names like "Kansas" vs "Kansas City" might not have happened if the OP didn't indicate s/he was from elsewhere.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
If price is an issue, WN does offer flights between CLT and MCI via HOU, BWI, MDW, DAL (only one flt to CLT though). Might be worth a lookup, especially if checking bags, and don't want to do the hidden-city ticketing.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Huh?

I think plain and simple it means he's from out of town? Not sure what your trying to read in to it.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by InPlaneSight
And the Chiefs, who OP is going to see, play in Missouri.

Though MCI itself is not in Kansas City, and not even in the same county as most of KCMO. So the most useful advice to OP would be to point out that the airport is a long way from anywhere in Kansas City you'd want to be. Getting through security's super easy, but getting to the airport itself takes a while.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:08 am

The subject line has now been edited to remove the reference to the OP's ethnicity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.