Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I should know better: "refundable" means read the fare rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.

I bought a first class fare that said "Refundable" underneath the dollar amount. Sadly, the fare rules disagree. I should have known better, it's a $200 mistake to change to an earlier flight, or cross fingers and hope for a $75 SDFC.

Last edited by iplaybass; Jul 15, 2016 at 4:15 pm Reason: Added information
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:23 pm

I bought tickets on AA from US to London, right in the middle of the Brexit confusion, and by the next day prices had fallen by $250 per person. I called to cancel (and then rebook), turns out you can cancel within 24 hours but then you also have to fill out a refund request (also within 24 hours). Two separate forms. Then the refund forms weren't recognized, I had to resubmit with additional documentation. My credit card charge still went through, it took 2 weeks of calling to get it refunded. I really think they are hoping that people won't jump through all the hoops.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by iplaybass
I bought a first class fare that said "Refundable" underneath the dollar amount. Sadly, the fare rules disagree. I should have known better, it's a $200 mistake to change to an earlier flight, or cross fingers and hope for a $75 SDFC.
Was this a one-way trip? If not, were both the outbound and return legs labeled as "Refundable?"
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - It would be helpful if you would provide the full fare basis and the full language of the refund provision of the fare rules. It would also help to know if there was more than one segment (onward or return) and whether those segments were non-refundable.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
AA has separated canceling a reservation and getting a refund into two entirely separate processes. Easy enough to cancel, of course. Just do it online or call. To get a refund, you fill out an online form and can expect the refund to hit your credit card in about two months.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
AA has separated canceling a reservation and getting a refund into two entirely separate processes. Easy enough to cancel, of course. Just do it online or call. To get a refund, you fill out an online form and can expect the refund to hit your credit card in about two months.
Or just dispute the charge with your credit card company if it will take that long...
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iplaybass
Refundable means you can get your money back. It doesn't mean you can get your money back for free. That's what the fare rules are there to specify.

Of course it's asinine that AA can't put change/refund fees in a simple table and have to bury them in indecipherable jargon.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:07 pm

The OP says he should have read the fare rules. I say good luck! This has been going on so long that it is either extreme negligence by AA or they are doing it on purpose
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:24 pm

xxxxx

Last edited by FlyingHighest; Jul 16, 2016 at 12:25 pm Reason: didn't realize it was a 2002 post
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Centurion
The OP says he should have read the fare rules. I say good luck! This has been going on so long that it is either extreme negligence by AA or they are doing it on purpose
What exactly is "going on?" The most restrictive rules always apply, so if one leg is nonrefundable the whole itinerary is the same. However, we don't actually know what the situation is without more details from the OP.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjw242
What exactly is "going on?" The most restrictive rules always apply, so if one leg is nonrefundable the whole itinerary is the same. However, we don't actually know what the situation is without more details from the OP.
Agreed - I'm surmising he bought a ticket that was refundable, but with a penalty. They're not common, but they do certainly exist, mostly on international tickets.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rjw242
No it doesn't. It depends on the fare rules. It is not always the case that the most restrictive rule applies , it depends on what it states in the fare rules

For example - a cheap LHR-JFK fare states

Originally Posted by AA fare rules
WHEN COMBINING A REFUNDABLE FARE WITH A NON-REFUNDABLE FARE
1.THE AMOUNT PAID ON THE REFUNDABLE FARE COMPONENT IS REFUNDED LESS ANY APPLICABLE PENALTY
2.THE AMOUNT PAID ON THE NON-REFUNDABLE FARE COMPONENT WILL NOT BE REFUNDED
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:47 pm

I know this is a forum of frequent travelers who know the subtleties, but lots of people travel only once a year or less. AA has an obligation to not confuse those less frequent travelers.

Refundable should mean:
1. Fully refundable without any penalty or fee
2. Refund can be obtained quickly and easily online, at the time of the cancellation

If AA handles it any other way, we should all be outraged.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Refundable means you can get your money back. It doesn't mean you can get your money back for free.
I have to say that I find this statement to be doublespeak. I'm not saying ijgordan is wrong, just that it's odd to call something refundable if you only get part of your money back on a net basis. I would call that "partially refundable."

Agree with others -- I have no idea how AA thinks normal travelers would think that refundable means anything other than fully refundable.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If a refund is badly delayed, report it to the DOT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.