Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I should know better: "refundable" means read the fare rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I should know better: "refundable" means read the fare rules

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
AA has separated canceling a reservation and getting a refund into two entirely separate processes. Easy enough to cancel, of course. Just do it online or call. To get a refund, you fill out an online form and can expect the refund to hit your credit card in about two months.
Wow, even as bad as UA which always requires you to fill out a refund request would process a CC refund within 7 to 10 business days.

Recently when I canceled a fully refundable and rebooked thru the UA web support in Philippines. The residual value hit my CC within 4 days.

BA processed a 24 hrs free cancellation within a day - the charge and refund hit my CC on the same day.

So AA just hold your money hostage for TWO months?!

I think if the refund from the cancellation within 24 hrs take longer than 2 weeks one should file complaint with DOT.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
My experience has been 7-14 business days for refunds through AA.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:53 pm

It should take 1 day, 2 days at most. Outrageous.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by FlyingHighest
AA has an obligation to not confuse those less frequent travelers.
No, AA doesn't have an obligation to set its business up for the most uninformed of its customers. What it is obligated to do is comply with all applicable laws and regulations. Anything beyond that is a business decision. Those customers who don't like its business practices will take their business to a competitor.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:16 pm

What is going on is that you can click on the REFUNDABLE FARE radio button and end up with a fare that is not refundable. Extreme negligence by AA or on purpose but it really is beyond wrong what AA is doing and has been doing for a long time.

Originally Posted by rjw242
What exactly is "going on?" The most restrictive rules always apply, so if one leg is nonrefundable the whole itinerary is the same. However, we don't actually know what the situation is without more details from the OP.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
The original post was self-chastisement and intended to be cautionary for others in the same situation.

1) It's my fault for not printing the fare rules and reading in detail before booking, and I fully recognize that. I failed to fly defensively. As for more specific information on the fare rules, I simply don't have it. This was a first class fare purchased in a hurry at T-36 due to a family emergency, and I needed flexibility in the return. I scanned the return flight rules and I remember looking for "most restrictive fare rule applies to all segments", but all I saw was the generic "the most restrictive rules MAY apply." We managed to get free SDFC at T-18, but if we had to delay our departure by a day or two...

2) I think tickets with "Refundable" underneath the button shouldn't default to a $200 change fee without clearly stating that. Now I know that I could have searched business/first only and bought first flexible. (As an aside, we knew what our departure date/time had to be, it was the return that was indefinite. Forcing people to buy complete flexibility both ways is just another revenue enhancement, I suppose.) Chalk it up to the panic of the moment.

3) Again, my fault, but I got lucky and the circumstance resolved itself without a financial hit. Lesson learned. Again.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Suzzin
I really think they are hoping that people won't jump through all the hoops.
Gee you think?
Because every large American corporation I have dealt with Verizon, AA, Discover Card are super customer friendly and incredibly ethical.

It not as if when there is a $10 mistake on the cell phone bill that it almost always an overcharge.
As its an honest error, it 50% of the time an undercharge and 50% of the time an overcharge,
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:34 pm

American Airlines knows what it is doing

Originally Posted by echyde
My experience has been 7-14 business days for refunds through AA.
What can the charge be 0 to 1 days and the refund 7-14 days.
I don't think its because they want a "float" on your money,
if you wait 14 business days, i.e almost three calendar weeks to refund , then a minority will fall through the cracks, and a minority of consumers won't follow up. ( esp those who are getting reimbursed and want to spend their free time with their families.) , and once an" expense accounter "submits a charge for reimbursement, then they have to go through the hassle of and time suck of reimbursing employer the belated refund or risk disciplinary measures if an internal company audit discovers it.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Suzzin
I bought tickets on AA from US to London, right in the middle of the Brexit confusion, and by the next day prices had fallen by $250 per person. I called to cancel (and then rebook), turns out you can cancel within 24 hours but then you also have to fill out a refund request (also within 24 hours). Two separate forms. Then the refund forms weren't recognized, I had to resubmit with additional documentation. My credit card charge still went through, it took 2 weeks of calling to get it refunded. I really think they are hoping that people won't jump through all the hoops.
I doubt the federal regulation says you have to submit the claim within 24 hours.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by writetorich
Gee you think?
Because every large American corporation I have dealt with Verizon, AA, Discover Card are super customer friendly and incredibly ethical.

It not as if when there is a $10 mistake on the cell phone bill that it almost always an overcharge.
As its an honest error, it 50% of the time an undercharge and 50% of the time an overcharge,
It is almost an always an overcharge. Like when Frontier raised tv service by $4 for everyone, even those under contract for the previous price.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:49 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
AA has separated canceling a reservation and getting a refund into two entirely separate processes. Easy enough to cancel, of course. Just do it online or call. To get a refund, you fill out an online form and can expect the refund to hit your credit card in about two months.
Only took 3 days for AA to process my refund request when I had to do this on a fully refundable L fare last year. They say 1-2 billing cycles to hit your credit card, but my refund hit in the same billing cycle, which closed 13 days later (not sure of exact post date, but obviously <13 days)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.