Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX Update: Eagle's Nest Gates Now Renumbered to 60A-I; Check-In at T6

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Effective 5/16/2016, American Eagle regional flights from LAX will now be departing out of Gates 60A-I (formerly Gates 44A-I).

Though the physical satellite terminal and gates remain the same, the gates in the "Eagle's Nest" have been renumbered to encourage passengers departing on Eagle flights to check-in at Terminal 6. For arriving passengers, baggage claim will also be at Terminal 6.

The shuttle bus to transfer from T6 to Gates 60A-I will be located between Gates 60 & 62.

The T4-Eagle's Nest will remain to transfer connecting passengers arriving at T4 (and lost souls). There is also a shuttle between T4<>T6 available.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Another small update/clarification: Eagle passengers can still check baggage at T4, and as long as there's enough time (>90 minutes) the bag will get out to the Nest. Under than, pax should make their way to T6.

Eligible pax can still use the Flagship Check-In in T4 for all flights. No plans to add one in T6 yet... <snip>
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

A not-so-major but not-so-minor update and service change: The Eagle's Nest gates have been renumbered from 44A-I to 60A-I, though the physical building remains the same.

The goal is to shift the Eagle passengers over to T6 for check-in, shuttle transfer, and baggage claim, with an estimated 3-6K daily pax out of T4 over the summer.

I'm getting more info as we speak, so please feel free to ask questions and I can try to find out.
Old May 16, 2016, 1:12 pm

Today's app update briefly discusses this as well.
Old May 16, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by brodielayne
Today's app update briefly discusses this as well.
Apparently the changeover has been a few months in the making, and message will be displayed to passengers checking in online or via app; there are also ambassadors present who will help guide passengers. Also, AA held a travel provider event last week to brief everyone (hotels, taxis, shuttles, parking lots, rental car companies, etc.) about the change.

Also, T6 has renovations ongoing, and what's opened so far has been a vast improvement.

For those not familiar with T6, the shuttle bus will depart through doors by between Gates 60 and 62. This "relocation" will also get pax out to the Eagle's Nest more quickly, being physically closer to it + less aircraft traffic to yield to.
Old May 16, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
There will continue to be shuttles from both T4->Nest and T6->Nest, correct?
Old May 16, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DWFI
There will continue to be shuttles from both T4->Nest and T6->Nest, correct?
Yes indeed, as well as a separate T4<>T6 shuttle. With so much O/D traffic at LAX, they wanted to shift those pax over to T6, which doesn't have as much traffic.
Old May 16, 2016, 1:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Seems like a good idea. Hopefully this will reduce the crowds on the T4<>Nest shuttles.

Anyone have experience with the precheck line at T6 and how it compares to T4?
Old May 16, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BillBurn
Anyone have experience with the precheck line at T6 and how it compares to T4?
Not as busy as T4, but I've seen it closed in favor of PreCheck-lite more often in the evenings. If it's opened and you don't have checked bags, it's easier to walk through AS's F check-in section and take those side escalators.
Old May 16, 2016, 1:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Not as busy as T4, but I've seen it closed in favor of PreCheck-lite more often in the evenings. If it's opened and you don't have checked bags, it's easier to walk through AS's F check-in section and take those side escalators.
Thanks for the tip! I will be interesting to read about all the FT'ers optimized check-in/security strategies for the Nest once the T4 Connector security opens (end of this month?). Sounds like checking in at T6 will still make most sense, but it will probably vary with day/time. I look forward to the debate!
Old May 16, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
There are a lot of good strategies for optimizing security at LAX for AA right now. I've taken to going thru TBIT at non-peak times (ie mornings). It's pretty fast and it drops you off at the QF F lounge ^
Old May 18, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

My story on AirlineReporter has gone live. Full details about the updates at LAX:
http://www.airlinereporter.com/2016/...perations-lax/
Old May 18, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
If you fly into the "Eagles' Nest", make sure to pay attention to which bus you get on. If they indicate "baggage claim" you will go to T6 and either ride back and catch the correct bus or walk it.

I didn't pay attention yesterday and chose to get some exercise...
Old May 18, 2016, 5:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My story on AirlineReporter has gone live. Full details about the updates at LAX:
Excellent information and advice! Thank you.

Added to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html wikipost and thread.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Great work! You 'aint no ferger, that's for sure!
Old May 18, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Thank God. It always confused me which gates were the eagle's nest.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Nice!

When AA merged with US Airways, they inherited some real estate (gates and check-in counters) at Terminal 6 (T6) that ended up being underutilized. To relieve the congestion at T4, AA took a lesson from Psychology 101 and renumbered the Eagle’s Nest gates from 44A-I to 60A-I, to encourage passengers departing on Eagle to head over to T6, where check-in for the regional flights are now located. Additionally, the baggage claim for arriving Eagle passengers is relocated to T6.
As well:

AA expects reducing T-4 traffic by 3-6,000 passengers.

767-323ER moving to T-6.

Shuttles running T-4 <-> T-6, T-6 <-> Eagle's Nest and T-4 <-> Eagle's Nest and - new shuttle busses coming!

Eagle arriving pax with checked baggage retrieve at T-6 carousels.

Presentations for local travel providers.

Illustrative photos throughout to assist travelers.

Great, helpful article.

I genuinely appreciate you and others such as JonNYC and several others not posting in this thread sharing knowledge here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.