Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When Bose Headsets go Missing (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Bose Headsets go Missing (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Happened some years back when I was on a GRU/MIA flight, not sure what happened in the end. I thought FAs were suppose to take note of which paxs have gotten them and therefore mark off which paxs have return them.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
I've had it happen on almost every flight it seems that they cant find one. I havent heard the announcements, but they will continue to come by and try to grab my personal Bose. I've actually had FAs try to grab my case to "induce me" to turn mine in while Im engrossed in a movie or work. I think its incredibly rude.

I had one FA come by no less than 5 times to collect my headset even after each time I told her it was mine. I finally snapped at her and told her to "check the damn list of who you handed them out to".
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
I've had it happen on almost every flight it seems that they cant find one. I havent heard the announcements, but they will continue to come by and try to grab my personal Bose. I've actually had FAs try to grab my case to "induce me" to turn mine in while Im engrossed in a movie or work. I think its incredibly rude.

I had one FA come by no less than 5 times to collect my headset even after each time I told her it was mine. I finally snapped at her and told her to "check the damn list of who you handed them out to".
^^ Yes, because it's about their lack of attention to detail when they're retrieving these and failing to mark the checklist.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by rjw242
I figured that whenever you set foot on an AA aircraft, you're magically transported to the legal landscape of Fort Worth (at least with regard to civil cases)
The CoC is one thing, but what happens physically on the plane when the door is closed is not generally subject to state criminal law, and at least in a great majority of cases this is true for the purposes of tort as well.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a simple low-tech solution to this problem:

Simply place a coat-check hang tag on each headphone case. As they're passed out, the FA notes the seat number, tears off the stub, requests the passenger initial the stub, FA collects the stub, and hands over the headphones. When they're turned in, FA returns the initialed stub to the passenger, serving as a receipt should the FA later attempt to accuse the passenger of theft. Should be pretty easy to figure out who didn't turn in their headphones.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA, United
Originally Posted by FWAAA
There is a simple low-tech solution to this problem:

Simply place a coat-check hang tag on each headphone case. As they're passed out, the FA notes the seat number, tears off the stub, requests the passenger initial the stub, FA collects the stub, and hands over the headphones. When they're turned in, FA returns the initialed stub to the passenger, serving as a receipt should the FA later attempt to accuse the passenger of theft. Should be pretty easy to figure out who didn't turn in their headphones.
Isn't that what the paper that they fill out when they hand them out is for?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Had a new one back in November on DFW-LHR.

About 30 minutes before landing after the Bose headsets had been collected, the purser made a polite, non-accusatory announcement along the lines of "we are still missing one Bose headset. Please double check your seat and help us locate it."

Apparently it was not located, because the next announcement was soon to follow. It was still polite, but a bit more firm. She essentially said that the headset was still missing and that all items must be accounted for before pax can deplane (I forget the exact term she used in reference to inventory being complete before pax can deplane).

Another few minutes passed, and FAs were making continuous passes up and down the aisle. I had my own Bose headset and the FA asked to quickly take a glance at it to verify.

Finally, a much more stern announcement was made that essentially told us that we'd all be sitting on the tarmac until the missing headset was found. I'm guessing it was turned in because there were no more announcements and we deplaned without event at LHR.

Does AA have a SOP for when headsets go missing? This was the first time in quite a few international flights that I've ever witnessed it, and it was on a 77W so it's not like someone could take the headset and plug it into their iPhone.

This does not surprise me. I sat next to someone on a Delta flight with AA headphone, the tape he used to hide the marking was falling off. It was obvious they were stolen or he "FORGOT" to give them back. Regardless this hurts us all because I bet you they figure how much they loose each month in headphones and other items and raise the prices the following month to capture that loss.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by Mark_T
You just need to use one of the two-prong adapters shown earlier in this thread.

They used to carry a few on the plane for passengers to borrow, not sure if they still do though so probably best to bring your own.
I saw as low as $1.89 for a pair on Amazon- many available in the $3-$8 range.

Amazon.com: 2x Golden Plated Airline Airplane Flight Adapter: Electronics Amazon.com: 2x Golden Plated Airline Airplane Flight Adapter: Electronics

search for airline headphone adapter.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by fanger
I have the earbud style and I don't recall them coming with the adapter but I may have lost it along the way...
I've got my own pair of Bose that I use on-board, but I've noticed that when the FAs come around with the cheap earbuds, they will often pass around the airline adapters for pax to keep. I've been given several of them over the years and they work great with my QC 15s.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
The FAs have no one to blame but themselves in these situations. If they were more methodical in collecting them, as they usually are when distributing them, they would know exactly the seats where the missing ones are.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by justforfun
The FAs have no one to blame but themselves in these situations. If they were more methodical in collecting them, as they usually are when distributing them, they would know exactly the seats where the missing ones are.
Since it has already been established that a certain amount of these are outright stolen, I can't agree that the FA's are solely to blame when headphones are missing.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by jww947
This does not surprise me. I sat next to someone on a Delta flight with AA headphone, the tape he used to hide the marking was falling off. It was obvious they were stolen or he "FORGOT" to give them back. Regardless this hurts us all because I bet you they figure how much they loose each month in headphones and other items and raise the prices the following month to capture that loss.
These may not necessarily have been stolen. AA gave out a number of these as part of a promotion/inaugural flught several years ago and they were AA branded.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jww947
I'm not sure the AA bean counters will wait until they are stolen/missing, but compute the potential loss when calculating fares now.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dickinson
Since it has already been established that a certain amount of these are outright stolen, I can't agree that the FA's are solely to blame when headphones are missing.
They would know who stole them, or at least be able to narrow it down, instead of making these very unprofessional announcements.

Last edited by justforfun; Mar 9, 2016 at 4:04 pm
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by AATrout
I think you are right. I had one of those 2-pin adapters with the older QC15s but when I gave them to my nephew I didn’t keep it. Apparently the AA 15/25s need 3 pins, which include 1 for power. The i20s in-ear don’t have the old 15 (or new) 2-pin adapter [minus 1 for power from the AA proprietary version]. The 2-pin stereo adapter is pretty cheap ($7.95) so that’s not so bad. I may get one.
Well, I found an adapter. Have some older AT noise cx buds that have an adapter in the bag. I’ll try it with my Bose 20i plugs next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.