Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016-2017 Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge & Dining Changes, Renovations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The current thread can be read here.

Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge, Flagship Dining Changes, Renovations & Additions
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; print wiki content with (lower right wiki corner)

On 17 February 2016 American Airlines announced a number of additions and implied possible access changes. Link.

Link to aa.com page listing lounge updates. (DEACTIVATED)

NOTES:: Day Pass sales have been suspended at airports with Admirals Clubs under renovation.

Thirty day memberships ceased to be available 25 Jul 2016.

Read the newest posts for updated information.

Admirals Club, Flagship, Arrivals Lounges and Flagship First Dining

CLT Concourse B Club to be closed “soon” (As of June 2018) for renovation.. Link.

DFW Terminal D Club CLOSED for refurbishment, Dining closed, interim Premium passenger lounge open ~7 Apr 2018. New Flagship Lounge, Flagship First Dining and Admirals Club to open (perhaps in 18-24 months?) See this thread.

DFW Terminal A Club OPEN again as of 7 April 2018.

DFW Terminal D Admirals Club, Flagship Dining CLOSED 7 Apr 2018.

DFW Terminal D interim Premium Lounge above D36 OPEN 7 Apr 2018. (NOTE: only open to eligible International Premium cabin passengers, not Admirals Club members.)

SEE DFW Admirals Club Terminal D 7 Apr 2018 Closure for Extensive Changes

Current Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining Lounges
: Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK) renewed.

London (LHR) and New York (JFK) Flagship Lounges recently renewed.

Flagship Lounge Additions, Club Renovations and Flagship Dining expansion and access changes:

During renovations and prior to new rules allowing longhaul international Business, EP, PPro and Plat passengers to access Flagship Lounges, some will temporarily be renamed "International First Class Lounge".
  • Chicago (ORD): H6-K6 Renovations (Flagship Lounge, Flagship First Dining, Admirals Club) over
  • Chicago (ORD): The new Admirals Club at Concourse L opened 27 Nov 2016.

• Dallas - FT. Worth (DFW): Terminal "D” Flagship Lounge / oneworld Airlines Premium Lounge, Flagship First Dining and Admirals Club to open ~2019 .

• Los Angeles (LAX): Renovation (Flagship Lounge, Flagship First Dining, Admirals Club) complete. T5 lounge open in old Delta Sky Club space.[/b]

• London (LHR): Arrivals Lounge recently renovated; reopened 3 Aug 2016 with enhanced breakfast, expanded hours and 29 shower suites.

• Miami (MIA): D30 Flagship Lounge renovation is finished (Club portionclosed?), D15 Renovation is finished, restrooms, children's room, business center all open; D30 new Flagship Lounge with 6 nice big showers, Arepa station, buffet and more is open ; Flagship Dining open.

• New York (JFK): B12 Club closed for renovation (temporary lounge open on mezzanine bridge or use C42 Club); Flagship First Dining opened 25 May 2017. First Class Lounge renovation completed 8 Dec 2016 and Flagship Lounge name restored.

• Philadelphia (PHL): New Flagship Lounge scheduled - A West Club Gates A15/A16.

• Rio de Janeiro (GIG) Renovation completed 4 Aug 2016.
Closures (2015): Clubs were closed at Buffalo (BUF) and San Juan (SJU) in 2015.

Access changes from AA
  • Flagship Lounge access AA: Starting in mid 2017, Flagship Lounge access is extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T three class transcon, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights, as well as EXP/EMD, PPRO & PLAT/SAP on qualifying flights in any class of service.

See and discuss in Expanded Access to Flagship Lounge Coming "in Spring 2017"

• Flagship First Dining access: First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to FlagshipSM Dining in 2017.

(This has put Flagship Dining into a category similar to the BA Concorde Room and a few other lounges - not oneworld lounges, restricted to long haul Flagship (three class) First passengers on AA marketed and operated flights only.)

• Admirals Club access: No announced or predicted access changes.
However, thirty day memberships are no longer available as of 25 Jul 2016, and One Day Pass cost has increased to $59. Annual Club memberships increased in price in 2016.

Link to View from the Wing article

[/color]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2016-2017 Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge & Dining Changes, Renovations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by schertz
Yesterday got to stop by the new MCO Admirals Club and thought it was a great step up from the usual small clubs in the system. Quiet areas away from TVs and good food/snack/espresso/coffee spread. Glad they are pushing the expanded selections into smaller airport clubs!

On the other hand, I absolutely HATED the new DFW A lounge -- gone are the soothing warm light and indirect up lighting and browns and tans (and Eames chairs) that made the lounge calming and relaxing even in the days when there were very limited complementary options in the club. A bit of a rant, but who in their right mind came up with the super white super bright sterile antiseptic with white walls look -- it has all the aesthetics of an early 20th century hospital. AA missed the boat on the design cues big time--a lounge should first and foremost be a relaxing and welcoming space to stay. My eyes hurt from the dental exam quality lights almost immediately.
What was the difference in decor between MCO and DFW A? All the renovated clubs I’ve been in so far have had all the same furniture, finishes, fabrics and fixtures. Love it or hate it, it’s interesting to me to have a different reaction to it in different cities.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
What was the difference in decor between MCO and DFW A? All the renovated clubs I’ve been in so far have had all the same furniture, finishes, fabrics and fixtures. Love it or hate it, it’s interesting to me to have a different reaction to it in different cities.
Good question--I thought about that some before I posted and still am--I think while the basic design cues are similar, MCO had:
-More natural light from the outside.
-Less harsh overhead lighting.
-Smaller space and lower ceilings -- where more whites helped to open up the space while at DFW it seemed to make it institutional and harsh-seeming.

Also I think the old DFW and ORD H/K clubs were really nicely designed and built out spaces, while most of the old smaller AA clubs were more non-descript, to be charitable.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
What’s going on with all these AC renovations?

These years dealing with the AC renovations, I’m not sure what exactly AA is trying to accomplish with all these renovations. The previous lounges were fine exactly the way they were, all they needed was some new furniture and some real food. Why is AA screwing around and giving us substandard spaces and in the end, it’s just the same stuff, different look. Now we have to deal with showers being out of service, reduced seating, and no offer to comp anything for members and a few worthless sorry’s from their employees.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
These years dealing with the AC renovations, I’m not sure what exactly AA is trying to accomplish with all these renovations. The previous lounges were fine exactly the way they were, all they needed was some new furniture and some real food. Why is AA screwing around and giving us substandard spaces and in the end, it’s just the same stuff, different look. Now we have to deal with showers being out of service, reduced seating, and no offer to comp anything for members and a few worthless sorry’s from their employees.
Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page on this much discussed topic for further information. There are other pertinent threads found by using the Lounge Dashboard post in the "Welcome" sticky thread.

/Moderator
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Good question--I thought about that some before I posted and still am--I think while the basic design cues are similar, MCO had:
-Smaller space and lower ceilings -- where more whites helped to open up the space while at DFW it seemed to make it institutional and harsh-seeming.

Also I think the old DFW and ORD H/K clubs were really nicely designed and built out spaces, while most of the old smaller AA clubs were more non-descript, to be charitable.
You took the words literally right out of my mouth. Last week I visited DFW A AC for the first time since they opened the renovated wing and aseptic, harsh hospital lighting is immediately what came to mind. The wall lined with cheap faux plants at DFW A is also cringeworthy. MCO is my second "home" airport and I have loved the new AC there. Even though the decor is the same, there is far more natural light with warm hues as you mention which greatly enhances the space.

I am pleased that AA is investing so much in the Club product, just wish their designer realized what a difference the lighting makes.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

That makes a lot of sense -- I appreciate you expanding on that.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say these lounges were perfectly fine the way they were. ORD H/K was worn, tired and dated. Despite having skylights and huge windows, it was also dark and depressing. All of that granite also screamed 1991. It's more than time for a fresh new look.

That's not to say I love the new look... My personal taste doesn't care for that sterile, stark look that everyone is using these days, but that's a different story and I'm admittedly in the vast minority there.

I get the inconvenience, but having been a member for decades, these years come and go and are just part of the game when trying to maintain an asset that is in continuous daily service with limited redundant capacity.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:56 am

FWIW - I am quite happy with the billion dollar investment in the lounges. JFK is a home run. MIA renovated lounge(s) are a huge improvement. The JFK FL is a hit. Haven't been to ORD yet, but I am sure it is a winner. Looking forward to the rest of the lounges.

Yes, it is inconvenient when things are closed for remodeling/moved around. And not all the decorating is to my taste... however, the new lounges are much better than the old lounges. There are more outlets, more seats, and just more room. The new food offerings are much better than the old food offerings (since the merger).

AA destroyed the value of Advantage, eliminated FF space, overcrowded the FL's and gives people little reason to be EP's. But, the new plane hard product is much better, improved access to FL for many people (which is good for most, bad for EPs) and, again, delivered a very good lounge product.

So the net is, IMHO, of all the changes AA has made in the past few years, the lounges are one of the biggest positive improvements.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:14 pm

Anyone has any updates on D30 in Miami?

Any pictures of D15 renovations?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
The Miami Flagship Lounge was originally scheduled to open before the Chicago FL but the latter is now open. Anyone in MIA have any updates from the staff or management? Did Irma cause any damage that put things [further] behind schedule? I know I am the third person to ask this question in about as many days but it'd be nice to have an answer from local flyers who have talked to people on the scene. Thx.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
With the replacement on the LAX-MIA route with a 772 instead of 77W, there won't be access for Flagship Lounge access for Exec Plats flying in any cabin for purely domestic travel on that route I assume. Also affects Qantas Biz lounge, no?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tonytifao
Anyone has any updates on D30 in Miami?

Any pictures of D15 renovations?
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
The Miami Flagship Lounge was originally scheduled to open before the Chicago FL but the latter is now open. Anyone in MIA have any updates from the staff or management? Did Irma cause any damage that put things [further] behind schedule? I know I am the third person to ask this question in about as many days but it'd be nice to have an answer from local flyers who have talked to people on the scene. Thx.
Will be flying through MIA this weekend. Will try to find out as much as I can, and report back.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
With the replacement on the LAX-MIA route with a 772 instead of 77W, there won't be access for Flagship Lounge access for Exec Plats flying in any cabin for purely domestic travel on that route I assume. Also affects Qantas Biz lounge, no?
Correct..
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
What's the status of MIA flagship lounge?

Are there currently open showers in MIA in your lounge?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
LAX T-4 AC Closed (9/28/17)

About to head to LAX. According to this sometimes not-reliable AA page...

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...s/lax-club.jsp

... the LAX T4 AC is currently closed. The T5 one is open.

It's 9/28 as I type this and I'm about to head for the airport for my T4 flight. I need to know which terminal to go to for an operable AC and don't want to do the round-trip tunnel walk.

Is the LAX T4 AC still closed? Thank you.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
About to head to LAX. According to this sometimes not-reliable AA page...

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...s/lax-club.jsp

... the LAX T4 AC is currently closed. The T5 one is open.

It's 9/28 as I type this and I'm about to head for the airport for my T4 flight. I need to know which terminal to go to for an operable AC and don't want to do the round-trip tunnel walk.

Is the LAX T4 AC still closed? Thank you.
Yes, the T4 club is still closed; it's not schedule to reopen until November at the earliest. The T5 club is very nice.

There is up to date information in the following thread:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.