Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit in DFW or CLT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
Transit in DFW or CLT

I need an advise from anyone having experience in transiting in DFW or CLT. Transit is domestic to domestic. I have the option to go via DFW or CLT with both on AA and having a connecting time around 1hour. Which airport is better to go for?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:21 am

A few extra pieces of information, including time of year and origin/destination would help focus this down a bit, but generally speaking I find CLT the best hub through which to take a tight connection.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
And not inconsequentially, is any "weather" anticipated?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I would say CLT is generally the easier airport to transit, since it is more compact.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: AA , 3MM, CK, Marriott Titanim
as someone who lives in NC and used to live in Dallas I would say time of year and time of travel are most important

With the terminal train at DFW and typically more flight options at DFW (if something goes wrong) it could be the better choice... but at certain points of the year either Ice Storms or Thunderstorms make it (DFW) dicey....
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: AS 100K
CLT is probably the easier airport if both your flights are mainline. If there's a regional segment at CLT, I'd go via DFW - the loooong walk to E terminal could really biff a tight connection.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
Thanks for all the answers. Time will be Feb/March. The route is RDU to MEM.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by HKG1111
I find both CLT and DFW to be easy airports to transit. For RDU-MEM, I would likely use CLT to avoid backtracking from DFW to MEM (unless I was trying to maximize EQM/RDM in which case I would transit DFW).
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Personally I'd rather transit DFW than CLT but DFW is our major gateway to most domestic and International flights so in the 13 years we've lived in San Antonio we've been through there probably 100+ times. Pretty easy for us to check our flight tracker and know exactly how far our connecting gate is and how to get there. Our last couple of International return flights have been into DFW and with GE we have breezed through. Probably not fair to compare that with CLT as our last International return through there was pre-GE for us and it was a zoo. February/March time frame through Dallas should be pretty good weather wise but then again this has been an atypical weather year so hard to say. Not that familiar with typical CLT weather thus time of year and can't say if they're having better or worse than typical weather.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
If there's a regional segment at CLT, I'd go via DFW - the loooong walk to E terminal could really biff a tight connection.
I've never timed it at more than 10 minutes, whereas if you get a couple flights at DFW that are far apart, I mean, they're REALLY far apart, even with the train. The whole E-concourse thing is overrated IMO.

For the OP's routing I would most certainly keep it simple with CLT.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors DIA
Unless you're well east of RDU, you could probably just drive to CLT faster and take a non-stop then doing the RDU-CLT leg.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Jimmy28
Unless you're well east of RDU, you could probably just drive to CLT faster and take a non-stop then doing the RDU-CLT leg.
This may result in a much higher fare as there generally is a premium for the nonstops.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HKG1111
Unless you want the extra miles no reason to go via DFW. It'll add significant time to your trip.

Via DFW is 1493 miles and via CLT is 641 miles so I would base it on how much you value your time. RDUCLT is basically a 20 minute flight.

As others have noted CLT is easy to transfer as long as you don't arrive into E on a regional. Some RDUCLT flights are mainline and some are not.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I would pick DFW any day of the week. Granted, at that time of year, either one has the same chance of wx issues. My bias is based on my preference for LUS avoidance. If the concern is IRROPS backups, fly the route that has the most flights into MEM. CLT-MEM has 1 flight per day. DFW-MEM has 6 flights. BTW, DCA has 3 flights.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
CLT is more compact, meaning there is usually less walking. Also, RDU-CLT-MEM is less travel time than RDU-DFW-MEM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.