Search

Finding desired routing?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Finding desired routing?

FT-

Hoping someone can help me here. I am looking to go to Bangkok next summer (LAX based). I plan to use a SWU to upgrade on the Trans Pacific leg so obviously want to stay on AA metal. Dates are flexible. I would like to do DFW-HKG on the long leg however when searching online it only occasionally shows up then disappears again. The system is trying to push LAX-NRT/HND which I would rather not be on - less miles on an inferior J product. Is there somewhere online I could look for availability with LAX-DFW-HKG-BKK aside from calling Reservations?

Appreciate any help here.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
You can enter it on Google Flights as a multi-city, e.g. LAX-DFW as the first left, followed by DFW-HKG, etc.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Is there somewhere online I could look for availability with LAX-DFW-HKG-BKK aside from calling Reservations?

Appreciate any help here.
Learn some ITA Matrix tricks and search for that specific routing (or x-segment all AA-coded routing) 30 days at a time.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
I’ve had similar issues when trying to book to FRA before our friends from US and their routes came aboard. AA dropped 3x daily runs to FRA (1xORD; 2xDFW) a few years ago. 1x from DFW now, and an old 763 at that. I didn't want to go thru LHR to BA which is how the normal "find flights” deferred to. That would mean an SWU ended in LHR. No - but thanks!

So I have had to fool around with multi-city DCA->DFW->FRA a few times each trip. It took 3 or more tries before I could get a fare that stuck. Normal with the AA system. You just have to be patient and keep trying.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ZKrunk
You can enter it on Google Flights as a multi-city, e.g. LAX-DFW as the first left, followed by DFW-HKG, etc.
Agreed. Google Flights is your friend.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...=ONEWORLD;eo=e

I would also consider LAX-HND. The 787 J is not as good as the 77W, but it might be a slightly easier upgrade.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Agreed. Google Flights is your friend.

I would also consider LAX-HND. The 787 J is not as good as the 77W, but it might be a slightly easier upgrade.
Really appreciate this - thanks. One more Q - as I cannot get this itinerary to appear on aa.com through manual search is it because one of the flights is not a codeshare? I went through the booking process with your link above and one of the CX flights is not a codeshare - it just shows the oneworld logo. Is that why - the ITA software can force that through?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by uscjeff
Really appreciate this - thanks. One more Q - as I cannot get this itinerary to appear on aa.com through manual search is it because one of the flights is not a codeshare? I went through the booking process with your link above and one of the CX flights is not a codeshare - it just shows the oneworld logo. Is that why - the ITA software can force that through?
I haven't checked, but try using the multi-city tab on aa.com and search by schedule. You can also select the option to show AA and oneworld flights.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:09 pm

Also, just another thought. YYZ-BKK is $2537 in business on AY. You could probably position to YYZ for ~$500. This looks like it could be comparable to an economy ticket going through DFW, and this way, you don't have to play upgrade roulette and will earn more EQMs. Also, the A350 should be on HEL-BKK by next summer, and so J (at least on that segment) will be reverse herringbone similar to the 77W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.