Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Speculation: AA considers PEY (Premium Economy - 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:13 pm
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS

If this has been discussed, please close the thread. Haven't seen it yet.

If it is true, wonder how the SWUs will be applied? I doubt it will be a straight Y to J upgrade.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/american-air...n=home-flipper
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is not this what is already sold as first class on many USA domestic aircraft?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA considers PEY (Premium Economy)

Makes sense as no U.S. carrier offers this type of product. A point of difference for at least a year until they all copy it!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Perhaps this is what DP was referring to when, in a recent joint news conference with Qantas, he said that we could expect an "improved economy class service"?

I didn't think AA would improve anything at the back of the plane without charging for it and this could be one way of doing just that.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:47 am
Suspended

Interesting. Gotta admit, 'till the point, never heard even a faint rumor of it.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:37 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Somewhat overshadowed by Delta's recent change to start selling Comfort+ (their coach extra legroom seats) as a separate fare class was the rumor that this was in preparation for the introduction of a true PEY product on their A350s.

If DL does move forward, I'm sure it's something AA and UA will be studying.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Interesting. Gotta admit, 'till the point, never heard even a faint rumor of it.
As an EXP, I really hope that this means that it was just a throwaway comment by DP.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by dw
Somewhat overshadowed by Delta's recent change to start selling Comfort+ (their coach extra legroom seats) as a separate fare class was the rumor that this was in preparation for the introduction of a true PEY product on their A350s.

If DL does move forward, I'm sure it's something AA and UA will be studying.
On DL, how is the service in Comfort+ different than Comfort? Is there a difference in the soft product, such as, enhanced meal service?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mileometer
As an EXP, I really hope that this means that it was just a throwaway comment by DP.
I'm hoping that too, and it certainly strikes one as a distinct possibility.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
He's probably also considering giving his executive assistant a unicorn for Christmas. We'll see...
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by dw
For now, the Comfort+ separate fare class will be domestic and Canada only. This may just be for the rollout, but international Comfort+ remains as-is at this time.

Originally Posted by Sant
On DL, how is the service in Comfort+ different than Comfort? Is there a difference in the soft product, such as, enhanced meal service?
I have only flown Comfort+ domestically, but advertised benefits (in addition to extra leg room) include free alcohol, dedicated overhead bin space, priority boarding, complimentary entertainment, and "premium snacks".
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL has simply turned what was a service available to some elites and for sale as an add-on, into a separate fare class. It has not changed the bits and pieces of C+ into anything remotely approaching what is generally thought of as PE.

The problem for the longer term is exactly as the CEO's quote suggests: how to market a product which appeals to the Y, not the J passenger. If the former can be accomplished without losing much space, it may be worthwhile. But, J is generally a carrier's most profitable space and if PE cuts into that market, it's a loser for the carrier.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:23 am
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
But then again, you take a route such as DFW HKG. The talk is, J is consistently full (yet the performance is flat). What is it full of? I'm sure you get J paying passengers but there are lots of EXPs wanting to use their SWUs. And how much are the fares? I've seen flights to CCS in Y cost more than HKG in Y.

It's great that AA doesn't restrict the use of SWUs on sub Y fares, but IF they do introduce PEY, you'll have to fork out more $$$ to get the chance to sit in J.

Last edited by 77W_12A; Nov 27, 2015 at 9:42 am
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"We’re looking at it," American Airlines CEO Doug Parker told Australian Business Traveller earlier this month, after a pause to carefully choose his words. "We think there’s a lot of opportunity there."

Assuming they do this on widebodies, it calls for an entirely new approach, refurbishment, new product, and of course purchasing PEY for an upgrade to Business.

But it may be the American public is more price sensitive than others, and it might not fly.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by gemini573
It's great that AA doesn't restrict the use of SWUs on sub Y fares, but IF they do introduce PEY, you'll have to fork out more $$$ to get the chance to sit in J.
Given the war on SWUs and mileage, this to me is the compelling reason why AA might look to do something like Y+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.