Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Strategy to purchase Hawaii Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Ex Plat, Avis Presidents, Hertz - Preidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Need Strategy to purchase Hawaii Tickets

Hello AA Experts ..... Here is my dilemma .... I have over $500 of travel credits with my Am Ex Rewards card and over $600 with Chase Sapphire card. How could I use both credits to purchase my Hawaii tickets (from Philly). The one way tickets are way too expensive. I thought about purchasing a REFUNDABLE ticket but I was not sure if the airline would give me a future travel credit rather than attempting to return the total amount.

As Plat Exec, I already have an award ticket purchase but I would rather have a paid ticket to earn the miles and be able to use my system wide upgrades.

I appreciate any help you might offer.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Since there are no nonstops to Hawaii from PHL, I would check the price of two roundtrips: PHL-XXX-PHL, and XXX-Hawaii-XXX. Even if you are not interested in having a stopover at XXX, AA will protect you in case of IRROPS -- even on separate tickets.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Ex Plat, Avis Presidents, Hertz - Preidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I forgot to mention .... My challenge is that I want to travel with my family members. The current segments are:
PHL - PHX - Lihue
Lihue - LAX
LAX - PHL (this is a 3 day layover after staying in LA)
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by travelingbob
I forgot to mention .... My challenge is that I want to travel with my family members. The current segments are:
PHL - PHX - Lihue
Lihue - LAX
LAX - PHL (this is a 3 day layover after staying in LA)
Then just find the flights you want, and put reservations for two passengers on one record, and reservations for the other passengers on another record.

Or book everybody for PHL-PHX//LAX-PHL on one record, and PHX-LIH-LAX on another.

Just check to see which method yields the lowest total fare.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Does AA ever provide you with a full coach fair refund as a voucher so that it can be used on another flight? This would allow me to use the travel value from both Am Ex Travel and Chase travel for one expensive ticket.

Thank you
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you purchase a refundable fare, then the refund will be applied to the original form of payment
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by travelingbob
Does AA ever provide you with a full coach fair refund as a voucher so that it can be used on another flight? This would allow me to use the travel value from both Am Ex Travel and Chase travel for one expensive ticket.

Thank you
Nope. As another poster said, refund only applies to a refundable fare ( which is an expensive ticket) and it's refunded to card you paid for it on. It won't be a voucher but a refund of the charge on the account. OP from what you describe you really don't have any options to apply both credits. You're probably best to stick with your award ticket.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Would buying AA gift cards with the credits and then redeeming them for the flights be an opportunity here? I'm not saying it will work - just trying to think outside the box to help the OP.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Avoid a connection via PHX - Hawaii nonstop that's the best advice anyone can provide.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Would buying AA gift cards with the credits and then redeeming them for the flights be an opportunity here? I'm not saying it will work - just trying to think outside the box to help the OP.
No.

You have a credit from a non-refundable ticket. It may only be used in accordance with the t&c of the credit. Nothing you do is going to change that.

If you had purchased a refundable ticket, the credit would have been a refund to your original form of payment and you could have used that to do anything you want including purchase new tickets, buy a poodle or whatever.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
No.

You have a credit from a non-refundable ticket. It may only be used in accordance with the t&c of the credit. Nothing you do is going to change that.

If you had purchased a refundable ticket, the credit would have been a refund to your original form of payment and you could have used that to do anything you want including purchase new tickets, buy a poodle or whatever.

His original credits are from AMEX and Chase. I'm not sure on the details but I read this as some kind of rewards from the card that need to be spent at AA. What this really comes down to is how many forms of payment will AA accept per ticket? Can it just be 1 credit and 1 gift card, or multiples of each?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.