Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Future of AA / US Lifetime Status / Million Miler program (consolidated)

Until the new (and current) Million Miler program was launched December 2011, any miles from all sources (all redeemable miles) counted as Million Miler miles. Lifetime status granted was the same as today: Gold at 1,000,000 miles ever earned, and Platinum at 2,000,000 lifetime miles ever earned; no lifetime top tier (EP / EXP) status was, or is, offered. Further million miles thresholds earn 4 SWUs.

The current Million Miler program "grandfathered" existing MM counts because until now there existed no way to differentiate miles for MM count. With the announcement of the new program, AA announced only Base / Elite-Qualifying Miles would count and be added to one's Million Mile counter.

AAdvantage® Million MilerSM program recognizes and rewards AAdvantage members when Million Miler thresholds are achieved. Base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward Million Miler status.

AAdvantage members will enjoy the following benefits when Million Miler status is reached:

At one million (1,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Gold status and 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles*

At two million (2,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Platinum status and four one-way systemwide upgrades

At each additional Million Miler mark, AAdvantage members will receive four additional one-way systemwide upgrades

For all members, your beginning Million Miler balance will include every AAdvantage mile you ever earned in the program. This Program to Date balance is currently reflected in your AAdvantage account on aa.com. Million Miler activity will be displayed in your AAdvantage account on aa.com separately from award miles so progress toward reaching this special designation can be easily tracked.

It's a special honor to be recognized with Million Miler status - and it is our distinct pleasure to reward such loyalty.

US has had a lifetime status / million mile program, and it counts PQM.

The greatest likelihood is current million miler counts will be merged, and that there is no way to "beat the system" by trying to inflate Redeemable miles counts in AA or US accounts; they both differentiate the kinds of miles, and no indication the Million Miler program will include lifetime Redeemable miles counts when USDM accounts are brought over and merged into AAdvantage (nor has anyone who has already caused an account merger stated to the contrary).

In the second quarter of 2015, we’ll combine your million mile balances (if you have both a Dividend Miles and AAdvantage® account) or transfer your million mile balance to the AAdvantage program.

AAdvantage Million Miler program:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp

Delta's comparable program (no lifetime top tier status):http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...er-status.html

United's comparable program (lifetime top tier status granted):
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
Print Wikipost

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:53 am

Platinum Pro for 2 Million Miler

Now that they have a new Plat level, wouldn't it make sense to grant lifetime Plat Pro status to 2 million milers?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by observer
Now that they have a new Plat level, wouldn't it make sense to grant lifetime Plat Pro status to 2 million milers?
Well no, it would make sense to grant it to 3 Million Milers. However, someone has mentioned in the main thread that they tweeted AA who said there are no plans for EXP or PlatPro to be granted based on a MM threshold.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ps9a
Seems like the changes announced today are pretty bad for existing MM's... especially those who aren't flying and spending a lot on AA.
Agree on LT Plat, but what are people thinking about LT Gold? If I can keep getting free bags, stand-by, priority boarding/check-in, priority seats with 24-hr free MCE, I'll stay happy I made the push.

But I don't blame the elite status hobbyists for being irate. The old value proposition was good while it lasted. At some point there will be a recession or a spike in oil prices, and they'll come groveling back to us.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kingarthur
Agree on LT Plat, but what are people thinking about LT Gold? If I can keep getting free bags, stand-by, priority boarding/check-in, priority seats with 24-hr free MCE, I'll stay happy I made the push.
LT Gold here and at 1,017,000 miles, that's likely all I'll ever be. I'm happier now than I was, I can keep this status worth worrying about the dollar requirement and I'll still get decent benefits. My upgrade percentage may even increase a bit (and I'm still doing okay on upgrades as it is).
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by observer
That would be fantastic, but I don't see it happening.
Originally Posted by CMK10
someone has mentioned in the main thread that they tweeted AA who said there are no plans for EXP or PlatPro to be granted based on a MM threshold.
Didn't see that, but I guess it makes sense. AA's problem is their MM ranks are filled with people who accumulated huge lifetime balances without spending a lot of time on their airplanes.
Originally Posted by kingarthur
The old value proposition was good while it lasted.
Exactly
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, UA Gold, HH Lifetime DIA, WoH Globalist
It'll be interesting to see if Lifetime Platinum Pro status will be introduced at 3MM and just as important, how such a tier would correspond to OW partners.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EP
Every group, blog, etc claim there will be no lifetime PP level. A quick call to ACS has confirmed this.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
THere is still time

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Every group, blog, etc claim there will be no lifetime PP level. A quick call to ACS has confirmed this.
Interesting that they matched almost every other aspect of the DL and UA programs except for this. Hopefully they will reconsider before the new program is implemented next year. In particular I would love to see some waivers at least on AAdvantage fees as the other programs also have at the 75k lifetime level.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:12 pm

Speculation: How should "lifetime" plats and "lifetime" golds get treated?

Something that always irked me as a lifetime platinum member (2 million miler) is that I nor lifetime gold (1 million miler) ever got a boaster towards qualifying for a higher tier.
As asute FT’er said “So I'm guessing that LIfetime Plats now get bumped down a level with the intro of "Pro"”
Do others think that lifetime gold should have a “shadow or phantom spend of $3000 and a 25K EQM & 30 EQS” so that they could progress to plat with another $25K EQM and $3K spend and plat pro with $6000 calendar year spend instead of $9000.

Why not credit lifetime Gold’s with EQMs , EQS’s & EQD’s of 25,000 , 30 , $ 3000 on January 1 and credit lifetime plats with EQMs , EQS and EQDs of 50,000 , 60 , and $6000. Isn’t the idea to encourage “incremental additional “ spend and travel?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Receiving full benefits for the life of the program, without needing to fly a single additional segment in any given year (and for most people without having actually flown 1 or 2 million miles), is pretty remarkable as it stands. Given the trends we've been seeing the past year or two, frankly I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
The new AA management is not interested in loyalty. It is only interested in raising revenue for the next flight. From the way they act they can as well dump the lifetime program altogether starting August 1. The management has some "brilliant ideas" about raising revenues. Someone is hoping to get a pay raise by changing AAdvantage "for the better". Good for them.

Personally, I am fine where I am and I do not need anything from AA; AA is not a charity organization. It is AA that is after my money. Right now their value proposition is to devaluate my 3 MM loyalty and ask me to spend even more $$ than before for lesser product and an unknown return in the long run. Seriously??? Why would I do that after the program devaluation and a decline in service and benefits?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by rjw242
Receiving full benefits for the life of the program, without needing to fly a single additional segment in any given year (and for most people without having actually flown 1 or 2 million miles), is pretty remarkable as it stands. Given the trends we've been seeing the past year or two, frankly I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth
Now, every other legacy airline has a more generous approach toward million miler status than AA. People who have a chance at flying 4mm in their lifetime (where you'd get UA Global Services or DL Platinum Medallion for life) should seriously consider other options of lifetime status is something they seek.

At least AA is industry leader in something.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writetorich
Why not credit lifetime Gold’s with EQMs , EQS’s & EQD’s of 25,000 , 30 , $ 3000 on January 1 and credit lifetime plats with EQMs , EQS and EQDs of 50,000 , 60 , and $6000. Isn’t the idea to encourage “incremental additional “ spend and travel?
Lifetime status has been around for decades at multiple airlines (as well as at a number of hotel programs). It's never worked the way you suggest anywhere. So why should AA deviate from the industry norm by starting that now?

In other words, you're looking at it from your perspective. Look at it from AA's perspective: Why would they want to give you higher status for near-free, just because you (perhaps) churned AA credit cards like crazy a decade ago (in AA's case, all miles from all sources counted toward lifetime status until Dec 2011). In fact, because AA's lifetime status was reached by so many people who hardly did any paid AA flights, AA is the last airline I would think would want to do something like this.

So you might want to go suggest it to some other airline all of whose lifetime status holders got there by actually flying millions of miles. @:-)
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by rjw242
This.

Too bad they've (at least for now) decided not to add Lifetime Platinum Pro, but unlimited courtesy "domestic" upgrades won't be given so easily.

Got those lamenting how other airlines' lifetime programs are better, let's not give ourselves airs. We didn't earn lifetime status by FLYING 1 or 2 or 5 million miles; the program only went MM=BIS quite recently, in the scheme of things.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
Originally Posted by brewdog11
People who have a chance at flying 4mm in their lifetime (where you'd get UA Global Services or DL Platinum Medallion for life) should seriously consider other options of lifetime status is something they seek.
Sad this day has come.

For years I overspent on countless occasions to fly with AA to earn my Lifetime Plat. At the time benefits seemed great: double miles, 72 hour upgrade window, 500 mile certs, etc. for life.

I now regret I didn't choose United. Same LT benefits would have been earned with UA at 1mm.

I am really really just hoping they don't take away LT plat's complementary Main Cabin Extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.