Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would phone the Australia office anyway. The service quality is so much higher and can be assured that a ticket will be issued promptly ( or if not ticketed in 48 hours can call and the agent will get it completed )
Whilst I've no doubt I've booked very few of these compared to most of you, I don't think any have been ticketed within 48 hours. Last week it took a touch under 5 days. So if anyone else is worried that something is wrong because a booking through the Oz(!) office has not been ticketed within 48 hours, you probably don't need to be.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by louie-m
Whilst I've no doubt I've booked very few of these compared to most of you, I don't think any have been ticketed within 48 hours. Last week it took a touch under 5 days. So if anyone else is worried that something is wrong because a booking through the Oz(!) office has not been ticketed within 48 hours, you probably don't need to be.
When purchasing, the agent has said it should be ticketed within 48 hours

At 48 hours , on the couple of occasions where it wasn't ticketed, I have phoned back and then, whilst on the phone the agent has contacted the ticketing department and had it completed ( and any issues that have caused it not to be ticketed resolved ) before I have hung up from the call

Compare this with the US agents which will fob off repeatedly and risk any other airline TTLs to be missed
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by kalendil
The American Airlines reservation desk for the Commonwealth of Australia, the physical location of which seems to actually be located in Fiji, does indeed have issues regarding changes, especially adding segments, once a reservation has been ticketed. Awards on hold, however, are easily altered.
Yeah, changes are potentially problematic. Many times they will see availability but once they load your reservation to change it --- the availability will no longer show (except for economy.)

When purchasing, the agent has said it should be ticketed within 48 hours

At 48 hours , on the couple of occasions where it wasn't ticketed, I have phoned back and then, whilst on the phone the agent has contacted the ticketing department and had it completed ( and any issues that have caused it not to be ticketed resolved ) before I have hung up from the call

Compare this with the US agents which will fob off repeatedly and risk any other airline TTLs to be missed
Yep. I made some changes to my award ... didn't get ticketed for 3 days. Called US AA multiple times, they couldn't/wouldn't help ... just called AA Australia a couple of hours ago and the agent called ticketing and had it sorted out in under 5 minutes. The service is exceptional...and they seem truly appreciative of our business, which is a pleasant change from the norm.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Was trying to book AUH-AMS for late Jan ( Ethiad site showing wide open for weeks ) AA agent can't see a single seat for months
Very frustrating they continue to block these awards
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Was trying to book AUH-AMS for late Jan ( Ethiad site showing wide open for weeks ) AA agent can't see a single seat for months
Very frustrating they continue to block these awards
The Australia office was unable to see availability?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
For those searching for seats, I discovered a ton of award seats in the A380 First Apartment from London --> Abu Dhabi between April - Oct 2016.

Dates with 3+ seats:
  • July 24: 4 seats
  • July 26: 5 seats
  • August 3: 5 seats
  • August 4: 3 seats
  • August 5: 3 seats
  • August 6: 5 seats
  • August 7: 5 seats
  • August 8: 6 seats
  • August 11: 4 seats
  • August 16: 4 seats
  • August 18: 4 seats
  • August 21: 4 seats
  • October 23: 4 seats
  • October 24: 6 seats
  • October 26: 5 seats
  • October 27: 2x flights with 3 seats

Here's the calendar I made that shows the available dates, all dates are for London --> Abu Dhabi:

While the Australia routes provide the best value, the routes to/from Europe are also a good deal at just 40,000 miles one-way for 7-8+ hours in the First Apartment:

Abu Dhabi-AUH → New York-JFK = ~6.1k AA miles/hr
Abu Dhabi-AUH → London-LHR = ~4.9k AA miles/hr
Melbourne-MEL → Abu Dhabi-AUH = ~4.3k AA miles/hr
Sydney-SYD → Abu Dhabi-AUH = ~4k AA miles/hr

Hope some find the info useful!
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:44 am
Suspended

Yup tons of availability but it looks like the reason for that is the steep taxes one must pay to book the ticket out of LHR. Still worth it, IMO, but it hurts a little.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:00 am
soy

Programs: various
4xJ

OSL-LHR BA
LHR - AUH EY A380
AUH - MLE EY

US desk could not find EY seats, so called Australia and put on hold. Ticketed via US desk after adding the OSL leg.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:26 am

5 seats open on the 12/25 Xmas flight AUH-JFK

FIVE!

(granted, flight is in 6 hours from now)
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
2x J on Middle East - US non-stop.

Had to call Australia desk to get it done.

One word of caution: the 5 day free hold expired sooner than 5 days. Luckily, I caught it and the availability was still there. Was frustrating to waste 10 minutes getting it put together again but worth it.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Just put on hold CMN-AUH (EY F) AUH-MEL (EY F Apartments) MEL-SYD (QF J) for 2 in Nov 2016. A 120,000 per person points blow-out but will cost 180,000 pp after devaluation - the EY "party" is coming to and end for us Aussies !!!

Used the Australian desk of course.

Last edited by pschafer; Dec 24, 2015 at 1:21 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by soy
4xJ

OSL-LHR BA
LHR - AUH EY A380
AUH - MLE EY

US desk could not find EY seats, so called Australia and put on hold. Ticketed via US desk after adding the OSL leg.
How high were the taxes?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
One word of caution: the 5 day free hold expired sooner than 5 days. Luckily, I caught it and the availability was still there. Was frustrating to waste 10 minutes getting it put together again but worth it.
Same thing happened to me the other day for a flight departing AUH on EY, but not for one on CX departing LHR.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Same thing happened to me the other day for a flight departing AUH on EY, but not for one on CX departing LHR.
perhaps AUH applies a ticketing time limit that is less than 5 days
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
perhaps AUH applies a ticketing time limit that is less than 5 days
Quite possible, though AA did say 5 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.