Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:19 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Bighead1970
I am Gold and 2 companions have no status. I book all three of us on the same PNR. Then could I use miles to upgrade them(assuming it is available)? Then hope I get an upgrade during my window.

Risky I know that I don't get an upgrade. But would the computer deny using miles to upgrade passengers on a companion fare as they are not paying full freight?
As I understand it, no. It's booked as a revenue ticket, so should be fine to upgrade with miles.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Check the rules, you may all have to be in the same cabin/class at the same time...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bighead1970
I am Gold and 2 companions have no status. I book all three of us on the same PNR. Then could I use miles to upgrade them(assuming it is available)? Then hope I get an upgrade during my window.

Risky I know that I don't get an upgrade. But would the computer deny using miles to upgrade passengers on a companion fare as they are not paying full freight?
People on the same PNR cannot fly in different cabins, i.e. one cannot be in F while the other is in Y, so they would have to split the PNR which is not permitted by the the companion certificate rules.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by apeortdz
People on the same PNR cannot fly in different cabins, i.e. one cannot be in F while the other is in Y, so they would have to split the PNR which is not permitted by the the companion certificate rules.
While maybe not permitted by the rules, I've never had a problem splitting the reservation in order to secure upgrades for separate passengers on the itinerary(as always YMMV).
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: US - Gold Preferred, leisuring and MRing for status :-)
Originally Posted by bevoinva
While maybe not permitted by the rules, I've never had a problem splitting the reservation in order to secure upgrades for separate passengers on the itinerary(as always YMMV).
I've had the same experience on a trip with two friends in May. I used the two companion certs and then had the order split to increase our upgrade chances. No questions were asked.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA*S A3*G TK *G EY G AA G RJ Gold IHG Spire Amb HH DIamond Marriott Gold BW DIAMOND SELECT
Credit on Aegean

I am trying to get Gold status via Aegean. At what point (i.e.,right after booking , at the airport) would it be best to try to change to the Aegean FF#? I know they may not give me credit because of their restriction "accrual in other mileage programs not permitted."
Also, I note that US Airways fares are cheaper on Hotwire than on the US Airways site. Any way to get the lower fares when booking by phone by informing them of this?

TIA!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by flyinhy
Also, I note that US Airways fares are cheaper on Hotwire than on the US Airways site. Any way to get the lower fares when booking by phone by informing them of this?
What US Airways fare is cheaper on Hotwire (or any other online booking site) than from usairways.com?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: UA*S A3*G TK *G EY G AA G RJ Gold IHG Spire Amb HH DIamond Marriott Gold BW DIAMOND SELECT
ord-phx-ord Dec 20-27 $435 on hotwire and expedia
$466 on us airways
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:31 pm

First Class/Coach

i want to fly FC but companion will fly coach. Is there a way to use companion certificate by buying 2 coach seats and then within 24 hours pay the difference to make mine FC? Or no FC travel can be done at all?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by csudell
i want to fly FC but companion will fly coach. Is there a way to use companion certificate by buying 2 coach seats and then within 24 hours pay the difference to make mine FC? Or no FC travel can be done at all?
Why would you want to waste a companion certificate that way, the best value is to fly both in FC, and remember they are not good to europe.

BTW, the answer is NO... Both people much travel in tha same cabin.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Why would you want to waste a companion certificate that way, the best value is to fly both in FC, and remember they are not good to europe.

BTW, the answer is NO... Both people much travel in tha same cabin.
These certificates are only good for economy.

To the OP ultimately looking for 1 F and 1 Y ticket, you might be able to pull this off by purchasing the tickets and then calling back in later to split the reservation. At that point you might be able to buy up to F on your economy ticket.

That being said, you are technically not allowed to split reservations on these but many people (me included) have been able to do that pretty regularly. I've never tried to buy up to F using one of these but if I had to guess, I would guess it would probably work.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 6:20 am

If you buy full fare coach then you will be eligible for immediate preferred upgrade. You can check on the availalblity before purchasing by choosing preferred upgrade as your class of service. You would both be upgraded.

These upgrades come out of a different bucket than regular upgrades.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by phl-us02
If you buy full fare coach then you will be eligible for immediate preferred upgrade. You can check on the availalblity before purchasing by choosing preferred upgrade as your class of service. You would both be upgraded.

These upgrades come out of a different bucket than regular upgrades.

So the flight I want is 416 for first class and 1081 for full fare coach outbound. Return flight is 167 coach (dont care about first class). Are you saying that if I book the full fare coach, I can use the 99 companion fare and we can both go first class? This would be $1081+$99+$167=$1347/2=673.50 per person vs. $416+$167=$583 per person(buying first class seat), correct? in this case, doesnt seem to make sense.

Last edited by csudell; Dec 8, 2012 at 8:30 pm
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bevoinva
These certificates are only good for economy.

To the OP ultimately looking for 1 F and 1 Y ticket, you might be able to pull this off by purchasing the tickets and then calling back in later to split the reservation. At that point you might be able to buy up to F on your economy ticket.

That being said, you are technically not allowed to split reservations on these but many people (me included) have been able to do that pretty regularly. I've never tried to buy up to F using one of these but if I had to guess, I would guess it would probably work.
I don't think that is correct, from what I have read and spoke to US is, if _I_ buy a FC ticket and use the companion pass, then the companion will be in FC with me, of course there needs to be a seat open.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by csudell
So the flight I want is 416 for first class and 1081 for full fare coach outbound. Return flight is 167 coach (dont care about first class). Are you saying that if I book the full fare coach, I can use the 99 companion fare and we can both go first class? This would be $1081+$99+$167=$1347/2=673.50 per person vs. $416+$167=$583 per person(buying first class seat), correct? in this case, doesnt seem to make sense.
YES and in some cases, the non-refunded FC tickets are less then Y tickets so you would be in FC without having to go through the upgrade process and you companion would also be in FC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.