Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I just used my companion cert for myself and two travel companions. Has anyone had luck seperating one of the passengers off onto a seperate itinerary in order to allow an upgrade to process for just two of us?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
...Has anyone had luck seperating one of the passengers off onto a seperate itinerary in order to allow an upgrade to process for just two of us?
While the terms of the Companion Cert require that all pax initially be on the same PNR, it's like any other PNR once ticketed, i.e. it can be split at whim with a phone call. I've done it on several occasions to increase upgrade chances. As you know, once split, it cannot be combined again.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by kudzu
While the terms of the Companion Cert require that all pax initially be on the same PNR, it's like any other PNR once ticketed, i.e. it can be split at whim with a phone call. I've done it on several occasions to increase upgrade chances. As you know, once split, it cannot be combined again.
Perfect. The agent who handled the booking made it very clear that this was not possible (which I doubted). Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Perfect. The agent who handled the booking made it very clear that this was not possible (which I doubted). Thanks!
Heh. I had two steadfastly refuse to switch out a passenger on PNR owing to the companion cert rules.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:47 pm

Companion ticket - new question

Got our companion certificate. Made reservations for three - one a regular price, two at $99. No problem there. Problem is we can't remember if we mailed certificate. We're afraid to call and ask for fear they might cancel the reservations. Our travel is in two weeks. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
My family needs to make a trip next year to DTW which is usually ~$300ea so I'm looking for a way we can cut costs. There will be 3 of us traveling R/T and I just want to make sure I'm understanding the T&Cs and previous posts correctly....

- We would book one RT fare at full price (ie $300), and would then be able to book two companions RT for $99ea? For a total cost of ~$500+tax for all three of us to fly RT.

- And I read above that the companion tickets are eligible for PQMs.... so if my mom (non-elite) got the card and made the booking, I (silver) would earn miles towards maintaining my status for the following year? Would we have access to my silver benefits if she makes the booking, or does it depend on the status of the person that booked it? Trying to avoid bag fees... bleh!

If this works like I think it does, I'm assuming she'll need to sign up for the card soon since we will be traveling in April and it takes 6-8wks for the certificate to arrive.

Thanks
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by skitch23
- And I read above that the companion tickets are eligible for PQMs.... so if my mom (non-elite) got the card and made the booking, I (silver) would earn miles towards maintaining my status for the following year?
Yes, everyone on the ticket would earn the PQM's as I discovered with my first use of the certificate this year.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by skitch23
- And I read above that the companion tickets are eligible for PQMs.... so if my mom (non-elite) got the card and made the booking, I (silver) would earn miles towards maintaining my status for the following year? Would we have access to my silver benefits if she makes the booking, or does it depend on the status of the person that booked it? Trying to avoid bag fees... bleh!
I think you are okay re bags either way:
  1. When you check in together, as long as one of you is Silver...
  2. Even if your mom isn't, she will have Barclay's US Mastercard and that should allow you guys free bag checking.

Others will correct me if I am wrong here, but this is basically win/win for your situation. Just make sure that credit card gets paid promptly monthly !
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Thanks guys.... I hope this works out. Looking at flights they are about $380RT so we are gonna wait a bit and hope that prices drop.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
companion cert and vacation deal

I am still searching... But does anyone know if you can use the companion cert to book a vacation deal? The base airfare is over the $250 mark.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by tonytony
Got our companion certificate. Made reservations for three - one a regular price, two at $99. No problem there. Problem is we can't remember if we mailed certificate. We're afraid to call and ask for fear they might cancel the reservations. Our travel is in two weeks. Any suggestions?
Hello tonytony,

Do not worry about mailing in the certificate. It is not neccesary! I have booked several times with the companion ticket and not sent in the cert.

What is the reference code printed on the certificate? Starts with RESBK?

Enjoy your travels!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
  2. Even if your mom isn't, she will have Barclay's US Mastercard and that should allow you guys free bag checking.
I'm could be wrong, but I don't think free bags is a benefit of having the mastercard. Let me know if I am wrong though.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:18 pm

Programs: US - Gold Preferred, leisuring and MRing for status :-)
Open-Jaw

Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19
IIRC, it must be a roundtrip, it should say in T&C. So no multicity itineraries.
I have used mine before on an open-jaw itinerary: RDU-SAN and LAX-RDU. No problems at all and each of us received the miles flown.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: US - Gold Preferred, leisuring and MRing for status :-)
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries

Others will correct me if I am wrong here, but this is basically win/win for your situation. Just make sure that credit card gets paid promptly monthly !
Unless something has recently changed with the Barclay's MC benefits, you do not get free checked baggage allowance for having the card. Other airlines cards do this, but US does not yet. (I sure wish they would, but thankfully I'm silver and don't ever check more than one bag.)
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:14 pm

Business/First Class w/ cert

Hello,

Could you use the companion certificate to purchase 2 business or first class tickets or would it be better to use points to upgrade from economy seats? I only have 35,000 points and no elite or silver status. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.