Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I have found Y and B fares to be outrageously expensive - much more than "discounted" first class. The difference being Y/B usually fully refundable and fully changeable.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EP
You can't book in first class and use the certificate. It has to be coach. I also don't think you can book a coach fare that puts you in first, like an A fare. You can use miles to upgrade if available, but I don't think you can use the cert to book yourselves into first.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 2:58 pm

You can try to use miles. I tried upgrading my DCA-SAN trip for Christmas (including a A321 which is F9). Apparently no upgrades available.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ITRADE
I have found Y and B fares to be outrageously expensive - much more than "discounted" first class. The difference being Y/B usually fully refundable and fully changeable.
this is true, however, I fly a lot for work so I'll be able to use the credit I'll get if I don't take the flight. So far no problems with not taking the flights I have booked.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
this is true, however, I fly a lot for work so I'll be able to use the credit I'll get if I don't take the flight. So far no problems with not taking the flights I have booked.
So, your companions fly and you don't?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by al613
So, your companions fly and you don't?
Not for work...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: M&M
Lufthansa First issue

It seems practically impossible to book Lufthansa First Class with Dividend Miles these days for two reasons. 1. Lufthansa opens its F reward seat to * carriers 14 days at the earliest. 2. US's reluctance to issue expensive Lufthansa first seats to the members of DM.
I have been trying to book two seats transatlantic Lufthansa F over the last three months by checking availablity at ANA search engine and UA, with no success.

Will this change any time soon?

I remember three years ago booking two LH F with some careful planning and search.

Last edited by flytofly; Dec 11, 2012 at 8:20 pm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by flytofly
It seems practically impossible to book Lufthansa First Class with Dividend Miles these days for two reasons. 1. Lufthansa opens its F reward seat to * carriers 14 days at the earliest. 2. US's reluctance to issue expensive Lufthansa first seats to the members of DM.
I have been trying to book two seats transatlantic Lufthansa F over the last three months by checking availablity at ANA search engine and UA, with no success.

Will this change any time soon?

I remember three years ago booking two LH F with some careful planning and search.
What does this have to do with this thread?

I am assuming you meant to put this in another thread.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: DM member since 1996, DM Gold, Marriott Gold
Companion ticket blackout dates

Does anyone have the list of companion ticket blackout dates for 2013?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by Bighead1970
Does anyone have the list of companion ticket blackout dates for 2013?
Systemwide 2013 blackout dates:
Jan 5, 6
Feb 15, 24
Mar 8, 10, 15, 17, 28, 29
Apr 1, 6, 7
May 24
Jun 28, 29
Jul 6, 7, 28
Aug 4
Dec 1, 2, 20, 21, 28, 29, 30

Additional 2013 blackout dates for specific cities:
Jan 31, Feb 1, 7 to New Orleans
Feb 4, 5, 13 from New Orleans
Apr 4, 5 to Atlanta
Apr 9 from Atlanta
May 2, 3 to Louisville
May 5 from Louisville
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:53 am
Suspended

2 questions about companion tickets

1. Can I book a group of 4 on a companion ticket (obviously 2 full fare, 2 $99)? I want everyone on same PNR.

2. Anyone had any success booking multi-city itinerary on companion tickets?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:46 am

I tried to do this (two full fare tickets) and the agent was having real problems doing it. I just said to hell with it and booked a separate ticket online as we were doing the companion cert transaction on the phone.

I can fully appreciate why one would want to try to get it all on one PNR (mainly that the Preferred benefits would convey to any non preferred member and the upgrade situation is made easier (potentially)).

Multi-city, to my knowledge is not possible; I tried booking an intinerary leaving and returning out of different cities (DCA out and IAD) return and it was a no go.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ITRADE
Multi-city, to my knowledge is not possible; I tried booking an intinerary leaving and returning out of different cities (DCA out and IAD) return and it was a no go.
Unless this is a recent change, yes it should be possible. It could be that you need to get an agent who will do it for you.

I think I've noted elsewhere in this thread, but I've used the CC certs for a PHX-DCA-BUF, AVP-PHL-PHX trip.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:02 pm
Suspended

The answers to both my questions were the exact opposite of what I expected, FWIW. I figured 4 on a PNR with 2 companions would be no big deal. I figured a multi-city would never happen.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:15 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Are US Club day pass (offered with the MC) good for other Star Alliance lounges?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.