Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Hmmm... I hadn't considered that exact question, although I suppose it is a possibiltiy with any account as all now exist in digital form on a bank's system somewhere. I am not sure what the rep could have meant by your "being responsible", I think that banking regulations prevent you being held responsible for fraud against the bank (the bank's system is hacked), but maybe I don't understand what you asking.
Mr.Tours and I did do basic research about BankDirect, verifying it's FDIC coverage and checking the stock performance of the parent bank.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
Hmmm... I hadn't considered that exact question, although I suppose it is a possibiltiy with any account as all now exist in digital form on a bank's system somewhere. I am not sure what the rep could have meant by your "being responsible", I think that banking regulations prevent you being held responsible for fraud against the bank (the bank's system is hacked), but maybe I don't understand what you asking.
Mr.Tours and I did do basic research about BankDirect, verifying it's FDIC coverage and checking the stock performance of the parent bank.
Problem is there are so many ways a hacker can get your information and there is no way you can trace how they got it. So how will a bank know whether it is their fault or your fault if your account is hacked?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Originally Posted by KtownTraveler
5k, not 30k. BankDirect miles are accrued once per Mileage CD, not every month as with Mileage Checking. The tradeoff is that CDs earn more than double the interest of Checking. (Still it ain't much.)

Oh you're right, the CDs are not paid by the month like the checking account. Nevermind what I said
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
I just want to make sure I have this right. I am trying to minimize my US taxable income and therefore earning miles instead of interest sounds perfect.

Let's say you deposit $100k in Bank Direct for 1 year without touching it. At the end of the year you would have earned roughly 120k miles + $50 in the checking account or 50k miles + $100 in a 1 year CD. This appears that the checking account is a much better deal as you can use your money if need be without penalty plus you earn a much higher rate.

The cost of this depends on your tax rate and what return you could get on investment with that money. However, if for the purpose of my simple example you assume you pay no taxes and compare it to a FDIC insured CD earning 2%, the maximum cost per mile is approx. 1.625 cents for the checking account? This would decrease as your tax rate increases and the CPM would increase if you could find a 'safe' investment greater than 2%.

Am I missing any hidden fees or costs associated with Bank Direct?

Also, can someone PM me a referral?

EDIT: Referral no longer needed

Last edited by ScreenGuy; Mar 2, 2010 at 1:42 pm Reason: referral comment
Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:20 pm

Can I set up alerts so that if there is a withdraw I would know about it immediately. Their website seems rather rudimentary.

Also, I noticed when I login to the account the url is pointing to
web7.secureinternetbank.com. Not sure what to think about this one.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: Lifetime Gold AA, Gold Delta, Gold Starwood, Silver UA, Silver Hyatt, etc.
I like the fact that it's no complicated. I like their website. Not sure what to think about what one?

Originally Posted by needmomile
Can I set up alerts so that if there is a withdraw I would know about it immediately. Their website seems rather rudimentary.

Also, I noticed when I login to the account the url is pointing to
web7.secureinternetbank.com. Not sure what to think about this one.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:50 pm

Is there any benefit for getting a referral on this.
We've got quite a sizable sum parked in cash reserves at Fido getting practically "nothing" and we're looking to add some more miles to DH AA account to push him over the 2MM mark since the Citi churn opportunities are gone.
Wondering how many miles would he "earn" with Bankdirect if he/we deposited 200K in the checking account for a year. At least if would be earning "something" (we do value/use the miles) and wouldn't be taxable (which is what we're looking for since we've got financial aid apps for college) yet still liquid.
TIA
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:01 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
If you get a referral, both parties get 1,000 miles.

Allow me to refer you, while you ponder what to do with the 200K.

I'll send you a PM.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime Gold AA, Gold Delta, Gold Starwood, Silver UA, Silver Hyatt, etc.
$200K = 20,000 miles posted monthly + various bonuses one of which is received only by referal which I would be happy to do. YGPM.

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
We've got quite a sizable sum parked in cash reserves at Fido getting practically "nothing" and we're looking to add some more miles to DH AA account to push him over the 2MM mark since the Citi churn opportunities are gone.
Wondering how many miles would he "earn" with Bankdirect if he/we deposited 200K in the checking account for a year. At least if would be earning "something" (we do value/use the miles) and wouldn't be taxable (which is what we're looking for since we've got financial aid apps for college) yet still liquid.
TIA
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Just did my income taxes yesterday and got hammered! Had to pay back $2 K. BankDirect here I come!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:34 pm

YGPM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been liking BankDirect, but I feel like I always have to send a message to get anything accomplished. My initial bonuses didn't post, nor did my direct deposit bonus, until I asked.

Now, I've referred two people. Neither they nor I have gotten the referral bonuses. Do I have to ask again, or would this happen automatically in the normal course of events?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:31 pm

I've never had any issues and I have been with them for a while now. Everything happens a couple of business days after the 1st of each month automatically.

Originally Posted by josephstern
I've been liking BankDirect, but I feel like I always have to send a message to get anything accomplished. My initial bonuses didn't post, nor did my direct deposit bonus, until I asked.

Now, I've referred two people. Neither they nor I have gotten the referral bonuses. Do I have to ask again, or would this happen automatically in the normal course of events?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:51 am

Thanks

Last edited by SteveinA2; Apr 3, 2010 at 10:27 am
Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:55 am

YGPM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.