Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Energy Plus AA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Energy Plus AA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold
I used to work for competitor Direct Energy. EnergyPlus has a variable rate and not like DE fixed. The bonus mile is a good offer, sign up for it and once you receive your first bill call to cancel, it takes about 5 weeks for cancellation to take effect so your second bill will still be with EP and you will get miles and bonus miles but after that it will cancel.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by chgodude
I used to work for competitor Direct Energy. EnergyPlus has a variable rate and not like DE fixed. The bonus mile is a good offer, sign up for it and once you receive your first bill call to cancel, it takes about 5 weeks for cancellation to take effect so your second bill will still be with EP and you will get miles and bonus miles but after that it will cancel.
I am happy with how it turned out for me. Even with the price bump my energy use is low and the 20,000 miles was a good deal. Switching to a new provider where I live is as easy as ordering service with someone new, switch happens in < 7 days.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:20 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just received a class action lawsuit postcard. Seems like Energy Plus is being sue and they agree to settle. http://www.energysettlement.com
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by seawolf
Just received a class action lawsuit postcard. Seems like Energy Plus is being sue and they agree to settle. http://www.energysettlement.com
Looks like it's worth $6. I'm not going to turn it down
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL

Received it too. It is about time, so many complaints, so much bait and switch!
I personally negotiated to fix my rate and it is very competitive, so besides saving some $, I received a couple hundred miles a month. But I know many who got shafted by Energy Plus
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:57 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NYBanker
I posted about my experience with EnergyPlus. They will cost you far more than the value of the miles you get.

It might be worth signing up for the initial bonus, but you should switch away as soon as it posts.

http://www.sitinfirst.com/2011/03/be...ur-power-bill/
As a follow up to my allegations of fraud some two years ago, it was good to also receive the class action notice yesterday.

I had been contacted by a different attorney about a year ago looking to form a class. I was invited to join as a lead plaintiff. Unfortunately, someone (these guys) beat the chap I had been talking to at the courthouse steps.

These IPR business models are predicated largely around bait-and-switch pricing. Heck, North American Power is a MLM scheme even.

I've found a stable, low fixed rate power contract in my area from Con Ed Solutions. After three tries away (lured by bonuses or initial teaser rates), I keep coming back to CES and remain pleased.

I encourage everyone to sign up on the settlement website. The management team at E+ traces it roots back to First USA. All about growing account counts, not service or value.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:26 pm

FYI, the settlement is for a MINIMUM of $6. And E+ is coughing up a good chunk of change overall:

The Individual Settlement Amounts, which apply to class members who have received at least two invoices for electric supply, range between a low of$6.00 and a high of $101.00, based upon the state in which the class member resides, the value of rewards, and the length of time a class member was a customer of
Energy Plus. The estimated average Individual Settlement Amount per class member is $23. The aggregate value of all Individual Settlement Amounts available under the Settlement Agreement is estimated to be between $9,178,451.00 and $11,014,142.00, depending on the different options available to Class Members
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:59 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just got my settlement check today. I think I net out positive after factoring in the amount I paid Energy Plus for electricity.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:42 pm

Just got ours too. $43. Not bad.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
I got $75.

And they helped me get to lifetime gold... so hey overall, I'm pleased with my experience with Energy Plus.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:45 am

just a quick note... if you signed up for Energy Plus ... be sure to check the variable rate after your 12 month period is up. Their business model seems to be to take advantage of the customer after that period.

I saw on another forum that the customer complained EP was raising their rate .1 cents kWH per month... sure enough, I looked at my bill and it's more than double what it was a few months ago--I'm paying DOUBLE because these slimy .......s have been raising my rate the past few months.

.154 cents /kwh, the expected rate for other competitors is around .75 c kWH. (In Chicago)

I did my research when signing up for this offer and the rate I was paying the first year was a good deal. Now, not so much. They may have lost their class action but they're still a shady business provider apparently...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Any idea if this service is churnable? Signed up and got bonus a couple of years ago.

Now want to sign up for:
https://www.energypluscompany.com/co...88&gas_pcb=788

T&C state: Previous and existing Energy Plus customers are not eligible.

So is previous customer by SS# or AAdvantag number? How about if I moved and am at different address?

TIA!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott-Ti, IHG-P
Originally Posted by dddane
just a quick note... if you signed up for Energy Plus ... be sure to check the variable rate after your 12 month period is up. Their business model seems to be to take advantage of the customer after that period.
Me, too... was happy to pay a slight premium the first year or so to get the miles. Then noticed my rate was creeping up dramatically. I called and a CSA dropped my rate considerably. I was happy again (this was at least a year ago).

Recently emailed them to complain the rate was almost double why my local provider was offering. I asked for help/info as to why it was so much more expensive. In response I got a curt email back saying my service was cancelled. Not at all what I expected, but OK with me.

A few weeks after I got a voicemail from a CSM at EP asking me to call her. I tried to call the number/extension she provided... their phone system would only take 4-digit extensions and she assured me that her extension was 5-digits. Seems that type of confusion runs throughout their organization.

I finally connected with her, and she practically begged me to sign back up. She offered to lower the rate and kick in a few thousand miles as a bonus. She also back-dated the rate change to the beginning of the year resulting in a $50 credit on my next bill.

So for signing back up I got a $50 credit and a few thousand miles, and can cancel again in a month. Seemed worth it.

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Any idea if this service is churnable? Signed up and got bonus a couple of years ago.
When the paperwork came to verify that I had indeed signed up with EP again, it says in multiple places that the signup bonus is a one-time deal in both big and tiny print. So it does not seem that it's churnable directly - but a conversation with a CSA can easily result in a big bonus mile allotment. YMMV.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by dmp614

When the paperwork came to verify that I had indeed signed up with EP again, it says in multiple places that the signup bonus is a one-time deal in both big and tiny print. So it does not seem that it's churnable directly - but a conversation with a CSA can easily result in a big bonus mile allotment. YMMV.
I will be more conservative and sign up for the United Airlines deal, it is currently 12.5K. It is a different address too. Will report back.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I will be more conservative and sign up for the United Airlines deal, it is currently 12.5K. It is a different address too. Will report back.
were you able to churn? Would be an interesting data point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.