Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXP in One Trip?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
EXP in One Trip?

Is it possible to earn EXP status on one 3-4 continent OW AONE RTW (especially using the new AADER double EQP promo and CDR02 double miles promo?
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Find a routing on AA metal (for AADER promo) that meets the criteria of EXP in one journey. Hint: it can't be done.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Flying the AA metal, as 3cForme pointed out, is the catch. There are gaps that OW fills in going around the world that AA metal doesn't fly. Imagine trying to go between Europe and Asia without traveling through N. America.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nologic
Is it possible to earn EXP status on one 3-4 continent OW AONE RTW (especially using the new AADER double EQP promo and CDR02 double miles promo?
Also, I don't see how this promo is relevant.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:34 pm

Wasn't someone trying to sell this information on ebay recently? (without the AADER code obviously)
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Two more issues: AADER is a double EQM promo, not a double EQP promo; and the CDR02 promo doubles "spendable" miles, not qualifying miles.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Find a routing on AA metal (for AADER promo) that meets the criteria of EXP in one journey. Hint: it can't be done.
But you wouldn't need to do an entire trip on AA metal to earn EXP from a xONEx.

You would still get plenty of AA EQM's flying CX in A class for example. You would just try to do a few of the long hauls on AA to double the EQMs on those segments alone.

Granted the circumference of the earth is about 25k miles, and EXP requires 100k miles, so I'm not disagreeing that it can't be done. But you don't have to fly every segment on AA to make combining a xONEx with the promo a good deal.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Hmm to be honest I thought on the same possibility but came up with the fact I would still need some more trips.

The max you coud get is maybe SFO-DFW-YVR-LAX-LHR-CPT-HEL-SIN-SYD-NRT-HNL-SFO anf if you are willing to do Xone5 play with South America as well. Not very cost effective I would say.

While the Promo EXP can be done with 2500$ doing LAX-FRA 4 times ^
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX

That would be 625/rt for each flight. I know FRA is usually a bargain TATL but have you actually found 4 rt slots bookable between now and June at this price?
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You're right. That routing would look like this, and even in D would only render a bit under 65k EQP.

Not sure it is doable at all to make EXP on a RTW.

Hmm to be honest I thought on the same possibility but came up with the fact I would still need some more trips.

The max you coud get is maybe SFO-DFW-YVR-LAX-LHR-CPT-HEL-SIN-SYD-NRT-HNL-SFO anf if you are willing to do Xone5 play with South America as well. Not very cost effective I would say.

Old Apr 19, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
You can do it with AA flights. I just plugged in SFO-DEL-PVG-EZE-DEL into aa.com and got 50,432 EQM (doubled with promo to get EXP).

Price was $7K. Add a bit to get home, or adjust routing.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond

Dilution of program through absence of differentiation for high revenue/margin customers.

Old Apr 19, 2008, 5:42 pm

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul

Dilution of program ...
and the number of people who are going to do this is...three ..... maybe..

offset by customers leaving because of the MD-80 fiasco
Old Apr 19, 2008, 5:46 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Easily doable on a DONE4. JNB-MRU-LHR-MCT-LHR-IST-LHR-LAX-SJU-DFW-ANC-DFW-SJU-DFW-NRT-DEL-NRT-DEL-HKG-xLHR-DAR. Around US$5300 at current exchange rates; nets around 105 K Q-pts.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pixpixpix
and the number of people who are going to do this is...three ..... maybe..

offset by customers leaving because of the MD-80 fiasco
Hmm maybe a few more but I think the real wave comes with the members who would stay PLT with about 75-90K miles end of the year.

The eVIPs, FS lounge and EXP desk are what I want !

I dont do that much domestic travel in the US anymore. A few transcons to NY and MIA plus some flights to Vegas of which most are Eagle anyways

Question: when you travel with your partner, does s/he gets complimentary upgrades or do have to buy/use stickers ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.