Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Involuntary Denied Boarding (IDB) Order and Compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Moderator note: this thread has been archived.

Please follow the current thread here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation/704770-involuntary-denied-boarding-idb-order-compensation-consolidated.html
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Involuntary Denied Boarding (IDB) Order and Compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by Joyce15
She claims he was given a $249 check from AA (which he immediately cashed at the airport) and a $10 voucher for food. Would AA do this? I always thought travel vouchers were given for bumped flights, not checks.
IMO, the passenger was foolish for taking $249 cash instead of $800 in AA vouchers.

Originally Posted by Tries
where does have GA cash from?
Ticketing counters normally keep some cash on hand.

Indee, AA is required to pay cash for involuntary denied boarding if the passenger declines the normally much larger voucher amount. So AA must keep some cash around somewhere.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
I've seen some pretty good IDB deals. I remember a guy who was IDB'd off a 5-ish BOS-RDU flight and took the 8-ish BOS-RDU flight. He was offered a $576 check or an $800 voucher.

Matt
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by MGW2000
I've seen some pretty good IDB deals. I remember a guy who was IDB'd off a 5-ish BOS-RDU flight and took the 8-ish BOS-RDU flight. He was offered a $576 check or an $800 voucher.

Matt
IDB - unlike VDB - is directly proportional to fare paid.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 3:44 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Joyce15
Could this involuntary bump story be true?

My sister just called and said her husband was involuntarily bumped off the 12:30pm flight from MIA to Gutamala. The next flight is 7:30pm tonight. She claims he was given a $249 check from AA (which he immediately cashed at the airport) and a $10 voucher for food. Would AA do this? I always thought travel vouchers were given for bumped flights, not checks.
As there is some useful general information in this thread, and as the existing IDB thread is not too long, I've gone ahead and merged the two. Thanks to all for the info provided.

/Moderator
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
You are replying to a post that is three years old. Inventories have changed.
My response was not based on any specific flight or day noted in the thread. It was a generic comment regardng seat map. In my example the seat map showed more First Class seats available than AA was selling as "F". If there are 12 seats showing available on the seatmap, and availability is F4, that would seem to indicate the seat map showing 3 times as many seats "available" is not a clear picture
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
IDB - unlike VDB - is directly proportional to fare paid.
I'd be curious to know what IDB and VDB amounts are for somebody traveling on an award ticket (or an approximation).
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:53 pm

Involuntarily Denied Boarding question

So my fiancee was denied boarding today on an oversold flight from BNA-ORD. In the end, she gets back to San Diego around the same time as the original itinerary (but through LAX instead of ORD), so should she still be compensated? She asked and they told her no and she's not complaining that much. It's more a matter of curiosity than anything else.

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No compensation is due if you arrive within one hour of your scheduled flight according to the DOT IDB rules. You are supposed to be given a copy of the DOT rules when you are IDB'd. No compensation is due if you miss the check-in/departure gate deadlines. Also, the rules don't apply if you are IDB'd from a 30-60 seat regional affiliate flight due to weight/balance issues.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 3, 2011 at 4:47 pm
Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
I was given $500 usd voucher on an American Eagle flight LAX-SAN that was oversold by 6 and at the end had weight balance problems, ending in the gate agent going into the plane and offering $500 USD to 2 passengers. At first she offered me $250, but ended up giving me same $500 thatnshe gave to the last two. Also, confirmed me on the next one (i am exec plat) that was oversold again! The others got a boarding pass for a flight 3 hours latter.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by DunkSB
So my fiancee was denied boarding today on an oversold flight from BNA-ORD. In the end, she gets back to San Diego around the same time as the original itinerary (but through LAX instead of ORD), so should she still be compensated?
As someone already pointed out, as long as you arrive at your destination within one hour of the originally-scheduled time, then no compensation is due.

The rule aside, I'm curious: given the situation as you describe it in that she got back "around the same time as the original itinerary," what did you think she would even potentially be compensated for?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by carlitos
At first she offered me $250, but ended up giving me same $500 thatnshe gave to the last two.
When it comes to VDB, all passengers get the same price as the last passenger to accept.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:05 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
When it comes to VDB, all passengers get the same price as the last passenger to accept.
Is this for AA to prevent customers from getting angry or is there a rule that AA must follow here? Though I'm not complaining, I like that policy.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
That wasn't my experience in Dallas once. I was offered, and accepted, a $250 voucher to bump off DFW-MIA. After the flight closed the agent was processing the voucher for me and one other volunteer. He got $300. When I nicely asked about getting the same offer, the agent said it was a mistake - he should have been offered $250 as well, but she mis-spoke and had to honor what she told him. Oh well... that was the worst thing to happen that day, so I can't really complain.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by Robt760
I'd be curious to know what IDB and VDB amounts are for somebody traveling on an award ticket (or an approximation).
Amounts are the same whether the ticket is an award or paid.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
In mid-February, four of us were flying JFK - CUN on AA metal with BA miles awards... they canceled the flight TWICE. We ended up leaving the next day but had to connect in Miami. Wasn't given any compensation, nor did I think to ask... though I knew the flight cancelation was BS..they said it was weather but I dont think it was, and was a Wed night flight.. anyone have an idea how I should proceed???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.