Wiki Posts
Search

Nonrefundable last ditch ideas?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2007, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Nonrefundable last ditch ideas?

Please let me make this clear, I fly a lot and I USUALLY read the small print. In 40 years I have never mised a flight or canceled a flight, but I did a boo-boo last year. Husband and I were heading to Guantanamo Bay in December to visit some friends. There were some last minute changes and we decided not to go. Please don't scold me too hard but I did not call AA to tell them we could not make the flight. (STL-Ft Lauderdale) I know I have forfeited my tickets but I thought they had credit value within a year. Has anyone had ANY luck (miles, vouchers, pretzles, anything) with a pleading letter?

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2007, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you didn't call AA to cancel, the tickets are worthless.

That said, this being Flyertalk, you're sure to get all sorts of anecdotes that will give you false hope.

I've received value for expired tickets, but they were tickets issued in 1996, not in 2006.

Until a few years ago, tickets did have value for a year, even if you didn't cancel in advance. Then the airlines changed the rules, and most airlines now say "worthless if not canceled before departure time." That's what yours are. Worthless. Sorry.
Old May 21, 2007, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mileswhore3
Please don't scold me too hard
No need to: AA taught you the lesson!
Old May 21, 2007, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Only 1 missed/cancelled flight in 40 years! That's good - if I got month without missing a flight, that's a good month. I sit in admirals club right now waiting for an 8pm flight because I missed my 5pm flight. The 5pm flight was a result of calling EXP desk earlier to switch from an earlier 10am flight. On the plus side, I gave up my seat last night(another missed flight) and I'm $300 richer - voucher dollars, that is.

So within 24 hours, I've missed 3 flights. Technically.
Old May 21, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT
When it comes down to it, it is your word against theirs. Reservations agents are certainly prone to make mistakes and they know that.

Just call and present yourself like you did call and cancel like you were supposed to and now you would like to use your credit. When they say they don't have a record of you calling just calmly say you called on a xxxx date to cancel your flights and the person told you that you had a year and yada yada yada... Just make it sound like you did exactly what you were supposed to do and your genuinely surprised (and now starting to get a little concerned) that their is a problem.

Just be persistent and the first rep will eventually call for help, probably get stonewalled, and then ask for a supervisor.... Just stay calm, stick to your story but be persistent. Eventually they will be in a position where they will have to accommodate you or call you a liar. Calling you a liar will be much harder if you've stuck to your story and have remained calm and pleasant. If you get irate and nasty then they will stop caring. The main thing is don't get them in a defensive posture, keep them in the "trying to help" mindset.

It may or may not work but what do you have to lose. A long time ago when I was in res I saw them give plenty of customers the benefit of the doubt.
Old May 22, 2007, 7:52 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Lie and cheat, great advice. Using this poor advice if they call her a liar it is because she is a liar with your help. Get real. Someone who flies a LOT will have elite status and not forget to cancel a reservation.
Old May 22, 2007, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by kjeil
When it comes down to it, it is your word against theirs. Reservations agents are certainly prone to make mistakes and they know that.

Just call and present yourself like you did call and cancel like you were supposed to and now you would like to use your credit. When they say they don't have a record of you calling just calmly say you called on a xxxx date to cancel your flights and the person told you that you had a year and yada yada yada... Just make it sound like you did exactly what you were supposed to do and your genuinely surprised (and now starting to get a little concerned) that their is a problem.

Just be persistent and the first rep will eventually call for help, probably get stonewalled, and then ask for a supervisor.... Just stay calm, stick to your story but be persistent. Eventually they will be in a position where they will have to accommodate you or call you a liar. Calling you a liar will be much harder if you've stuck to your story and have remained calm and pleasant. If you get irate and nasty then they will stop caring. The main thing is don't get them in a defensive posture, keep them in the "trying to help" mindset.

It may or may not work but what do you have to lose. A long time ago when I was in res I saw them give plenty of customers the benefit of the doubt.
So your answer to any problem is to lie and cheat? I feel sorry for all the people around you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.