Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wind speed and taking off...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:04 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Our book says operations are suspended when winds (sustained or gusts) exceed 50kts. Doesn't matter if the wind is right down the runway. For most airplanes, max crosswind components are around 30kts
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by scubamom
Cross-wind landings can be a real "trip"! But I'm sure all the AA pilots have plenty of training as well as experience doing this.

The Naval Air Station in Corpus Christi, Texas was one of the primary training spots for air craft carrier pilots, even back to WWII and the reason was, we have strong constant winds (we tie Chicago as the "windy city") and many times have cross winds. The saying goes "If you can learn to fly in Corpus Christi, you can fly, takeoff, and land anywhere in the world!"

I am a private pilot and yep, learned right here in Corpus Christi. Over 50% of my take-off and landings during training was in high crosswinds (purposely) for the obvious reason that if I had a plane here, I needed to know how to land/take the thing off here!

I actually enjoyed most of the cross-wind landings (read MOST)... you do have to crab into the wind, but then snap it out straight, if possible, at the last minute.

But believe me... if the wind is too strong, and/or cross wind too brutal, the pilot is going elsewhere to land. Pilots want to get on the ground in one piece too ya know!

Probably the scariest part to the passengers is during the crabbing process. Your mind just KNOWS that plane isn't lining up straight down the runway. But that is part of the process, so sit back and try to relax!
Too bad commercial airliners can't be like B-52s... with landing gear that will "crab" so that last minute snap isn't necessary. Hmmm... I wonder how passengers would take going down the RUNWAY with the nose pointed off to one side or the other? Could be an interesting sight if you were seated on the side of the plane facing down the runway.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:33 am

I second JDiver's comments on the difficulty of precisely predicting wind directions and speed. Once, on NW from DTW-AMS, we ended up landing WITH the wind (as could be seen by flags pointing in our direction). It was a rough landing. I asked the pilot on the way out. He said that they were prepared for a cross-wind and have the usual early arrival congestion. The wind switched to the same direction as the landing. Wow, that was fun! You can see why they like to land FACING the wind.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TonyCMH
...You can see why they like to land FACING the wind.
One reason they like to land into the wind because they are by definition trying to slow down and stop (eventually) and it's harder to do that when the wind is PUSHING you.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by mwhitted
One reason they like to land into the wind because they are by definition trying to slow down and stop (eventually) and it's harder to do that when the wind is PUSHING you.
And it is a little hard to maintain lift in a tailwind.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:28 am

shhhh...don't tell that to southwest pilots
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've watched many a B-52 moving on the crab, with drag chutes deployed on landing to boot. Very weird looking, particularly from the perspective of the precision approach trailer or runwayside and it looks like the eight-engined monster is headed right at you . In the end, I think we'd much prefer the Mad Dog to the BUFF for our travels.

Too bad commercial airliners can't be like B-52s... with landing gear that will "crab" so that last minute snap isn't necessary. Hmmm... I wonder how passengers would take going down the RUNWAY with the nose pointed off to one side or the other? Could be an interesting sight if you were seated on the side of the plane facing down the runway.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
it's also the transition from airspeed to groundspeed. say an airplane is going to land at an airspeed of 125 kts. if there's a 25 kt headwind, it's going to hit the ground at a groundspeed of 100 kts. if there's a 25 kt tailwind, it's going to hit the ground at a groundspeed of 150 kts. they're going to waste thousands of feet of runway just getting down to the 100 kts they'd be doing if they'd landed into the wind.... the ultimate goal is a groundspeed of zero.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Seat1A
it's also the transition from airspeed to groundspeed. say an airplane is going to land at an airspeed of 125 kts. if there's a 25 kt headwind, it's going to hit the ground at a groundspeed of 100 kts. if there's a 25 kt tailwind, it's going to hit the ground at a groundspeed of 150 kts. they're going to waste thousands of feet of runway just getting down to the 100 kts they'd be doing if they'd landed into the wind.... the ultimate goal is a groundspeed of zero.
The only time you should have a groundspeed of 0 is parked at the gate
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by AEpilot76
The only time you should have a groundspeed of 0 is parked at the gate
Or waiting for your turn for an active at ORD.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Or waiting for your turn for an active at ORD.
No, your groundspeed will pick up when you have to return to the gate for more fuel
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
If you have Microsoft Flight Simulator, configure the 172 with full flaps and a 70 kt headwind. You can it fly "backwards".
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chuck till
If you have Microsoft Flight Simulator, configure the 172 with full flaps and a 70 kt headwind. You can it fly "backwards".
Assume
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Given that, and that an airliner must go slower when it has an engine out condition, if all the engines go out, it will never land.

Originally Posted by chuck till
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3MM), MR Lifetime PLT, Avis First
Here's good footage of a crosswind landing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv_QYd2CRkg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.