Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW, ORD, LAX, JFK, MIA Admirals Club HP WiFi Tablets (pilot program Fall 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Saw this on Facebook:

American Airlines Admirals Club
Today @ DFW-D we begin an 8 week pilot of Hewlett-Packard TouchPad tablets with a rollout to ORD, LAX, JFK & MIA on Aug 29. TouchPads are wi-fi enabled & pre-loaded with games, movie trailers, streaming radio, magazines & more, and are a convenient and easy way for guests to stay connected & entertained while relaxing or conducting business.
HP reported a bad quarter recently... hope AA picked these up cheep!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Haha, I'm not surprised. Best Buy only sold 10% of their inventory. These would make more sense for IFE though, similar to the Galaxy Tabs on the transcons. How about something for F pax on Hawaii flights? I'd rather have something then than in the AC.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
I hope they got a good deal since HP just discontinued the tablets and the WebOS.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-business.html
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Haha, I'm not surprised. Best Buy only sold 10% of their inventory. These would make more sense for IFE though, similar to the Galaxy Tabs on the transcons. How about something for F pax on Hawaii flights? I'd rather have something then than in the AC.
Me too! This will be really nice for MRs, though. I won't have to take my laptop on MRs when I have a long layover at an AC now.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MorganB
I hope they got a good deal since HP just discontinued the tablets and the WebOS.
Wow...that's ridiculous. They made a commitment to the tech 5 mo ago, and now they're pulling out? Kinda seems like it was a bad idea to fire Mark Hurd over nothing.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Platinum/Hertz Pres. Circle/Avis Grand Wizard/Wife's Favorite Husband
Originally Posted by lobo411
Wow...that's ridiculous. They made a commitment to the tech 5 mo ago, and now they're pulling out? Kinda seems like it was a bad idea to fire Mark Hurd over nothing.
Yep, killed before it got time to mature. It was promising, I was nearly there to jump on board.

Nearly as stupid as Nokia´s decision to dump Meego (their future migration for the upper end hardware) and go Windows Phone. Nearly as stupid because HP will survive and Nokia not
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:59 pm

Not sure I would consider spinning off a division that has been weighing heavily on profitability as "stupid." As to firing Hurd, he had also floated the idea of spinning off the PC division before getting fired, so not really sure how his dismissal has anything to do with this decision.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JNB280
Not sure I would consider spinning off a division that has been weighing heavily on profitability as "stupid." As to firing Hurd, he had also floated the idea of spinning off the PC division before getting fired, so not really sure how his dismissal has anything to do with this decision.
I was mainly referring to the zig-zag: declaring their undying love for the platform and then dumping it 5 months later makes it seem like management is clueless.

Anyway, I look forward to playing with these tablets. Playing a movie doesn't exactly require state of the art technology.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
bad idea to fire Hurd? maybe, maybe not. bad idea to hire Apotheker? that's the question of the day...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:58 pm

Can you say iPad? You can argue for or against it but if you want the leader in the category there is only Apple. No one else has the stamina to compete. They will try but they will drop by the way side.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:49 pm

it's better that they cut their losses...going the way of ibm now and focusing on software/services, not hardware
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like AA actually did something smart, tech-wise, for a change!

HP is currently dumping the 16 GB touchpad for $99, according to Slickdeals. Just ordered two! So I'm sure AA got a fantastic price on theirs. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.