Wiki Posts
Search

Mysterious Promo codes: AA100/AA200/AA400

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2006, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by ExpAAt
What's even more galling is that my colleague who sits next to me at work (EXP, same travel profile as me, same miles for past two years...) gets targeted and I never get targeted. Last year he was also targeted for a trans-Atlantic 15k bonus. Same this year. For me? Nada. Just plain galling.
Are his and your accounts both domiciled in the U.K.?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Sounds perfectly logical to me
1) You get a hold of a code for which you (know) you werent targetted but you were able register on aa.com.
2) You book a bunch of flights to get the bonus.
3) You dont get the bonus.
4) You are pissed at AA, for not saving one from oneself.

Life couldnt be more simpler could it?

mike
1. Someone else received an e-mail on a promo. You didn't. The e-mail doesn't say that the promo is only for those who received the e-mail. You think maybe it's because you are not signed up for e-mails.
2. You register on AA.com. AA knows that you won't get the promo, but allows you to register anyway, so you will book a bunch of flights to get the bonus, they will get your money, and you won't get the bonus.
3. You book a bunch of flights, and spend a bunch of money, to get the bonus.
4. You don't get the bonus.
5. You are happy with AA. They could have told you you couldn't sign up for the promo, but didn't so they could get your money. You like giving them your money for nothing.

You and I may be different. That's what makes the world go around, I guess.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:00 pm

promo via post card

My AA promo came on a post card (snail mail) to the house for AA100
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gemac
You and I may be different. That's what makes the world go around, I guess.
We ARE different lets leave it that ( besides I got a headache just trying to logically interpret most of your post)

mike

P.s. just to add just who told you the promo info came by e-mail?
Pssst see the post above.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
We ARE different lets leave it that ( besides I got a headache just trying to logically interpret most of your post)

mike

P.s. just to add just who told you the promo info came by e-mail?
Pssst see the post above.
venk did. Read the thread.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:09 am

Programs: Peaked at AA PLT in '04 (Thanks to FT!) Dropped to Gold in '05, Trying 'Gold Challenge' for '06 :(
Originally Posted by ja_user
Kindly explain in a different way why one wouldn't want to sign up for this promo?
OK, I'll try again for you. At the risk of boring you/others (because, of course, the relevant details about challenges are in the relevant sticky) IMHO, registering for AA300 & AA400 might be a problem if one didn't know what they were because ...

As I understand AA's challenge rules, one is not supposed to be able to:

A ... register for both challenges at the same time. I do realise various people have managed to do so successfully in the past.

B ... do each challenge more than once. I'm not sure that rule has been confirmed one way or t'other, hence my asking ExecDeskRep for the definitive answer on that issue.

I, for example, wouldn't want to register for either code because I'm doing the Gold challenge right now and need to do them separately - I rarely fly for work and can't afford to fly enough to do the Plat at the moment. Plus, I would want do that one in the second half of a year anyway.

Since AA doesn't send out any challenge confirmation, or rules, etc, if you didn't know what you'd signed up for and didn't fly enough during the requisite 90 days/3 months, then you've failed one, or both, of the challenges without realising.

Hope that clarifies my concerns for anyone who registered those two codes without knowing what's what.

All the best,

Last edited by WebbyWunda; Apr 25, 2006 at 9:16 am
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by WebbyWunda
B ... do each challenge more than once. I'm not sure that rule has been confirmed one way or t'other, hence my asking ExecDeskRep for the definitive answer on that issue.
I'm not sure where you got this idea from. There was a recent thread by JonNYC that contained some info about a recent change to the challenge process whereby people are no longer allowed to re-challenge in the year after they challenged to get status. This would imply that in the past it was acceptable to re-challenge every year to maintain status (which people on FT have done) hence you can do each challenge more than once. Prior to the adoption of this rule, I can't recall any circumstance here on FT where someone was refused the ability to challenge based on past challenges. I think this is about as cut-and-dried as you can get for an "unofficial" unpublished benefit.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
I do hope all the FT'ers that have registered for these two codes along with all the others realised what they were signing up for ... I'd hate to think they've wasted their opportunity of doing the challenges in the future.
Mind you, some people may suddenly get Gold and/or Plat status without knowing how it happened!
I entered the A400 code on April 9. The suggestion above sounded good because my travel has picked up unpredicatably, such that a challenge starting April 16 would be good.
So I called CS to see if entering the A400 code created a challenge
It did not.
Perhaps one has to become "targeted" for it by calling to ask for a challenge.

edit: based on discussion in a related thread, I called CS again and this time they not only activated the plat challenge, they also retroactively included flights taken 4-16 through 4-30, even though they already had posted to my AAdvantage account. The CSR's reasoning was that I had done something April 9 that I reasonably believed would establish a challenge. This appears to be an exception to the well-documented rule that posted flights won't count on a retroactive challenge (search for retroactive in the sticky thread). As the CSR put it, his supervisor allowed him to make the challenge not be retroactive.
PS: This retroactive deal was the CSRs idea, not mine -- I'm not that clever. Fortunately, when he suggested it I was too stunned to respond with more than 'huh? wha?' to which he said, 'yeah, can you hold a few minutes?'
When at first you don't succeed, call call again.

Last edited by ZeppoX; May 4, 2006 at 1:17 pm Reason: update
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
As I understand AA's challenge rules, one is not supposed to be able to:

<snip>

Actually there is quite a bit of confirmation that multiple challenges have been allowed in the past. A search will yield numerous reports from those who basically challenge for status each year.

Quite recently, however, it has been reported that AA has begun prohibiting those who challenged last year from doing so again this year. But there are still no reports that challenges have been limited to only once-in-a-lifetime. (There is lots of wishful thinking amongst the BIS elites that such a limit will be added, but it hasn't happened yet.)
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Is DEL-ORD considered a transatlantic flight?

I'm assuming no, even though it does fly over that way, because the promo is titled "EU"100. But does anyone know?

Thanks.
Old May 4, 2006, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Wasn't targeted, but.............

I signed up for the AA100 bonus online, then called the aadvantage desk to verify I was signed up. The rep told me that I needed another 'code' in my account to be eligible, and put me on hold. She then told me she had added the code so I was elegible for the promotion, and had made a note in my account to that effect. Today I received an email confirming my enrollment in the AA100 promotion.
Great news, since I have 12 segments booked into 'G' coming up! ^
Old May 4, 2006, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by miller4isu
I signed up for the AA100 bonus online, then called the aadvantage desk to verify I was signed up. The rep told me that I needed another 'code' in my account to be eligible, and put me on hold. She then told me she had added the code so I was elegible for the promotion, and had made a note in my account to that effect. Today I received an email confirming my enrollment in the AA100 promotion.
Great news, since I have 12 segments booked into 'G' coming up! ^
Interesting development... (though I don't have any non Q/O/S/N fares coming up... and did I mention my 47 segs in May? Sorry, I like wallowing in misery )
Old May 4, 2006, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
and did I mention my 47 segs in May? Sorry, I like wallowing in misery )
Is this 47 calculated using the same new math as 19 = 15 + 2 ?
Old May 4, 2006, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
...and did I mention my 47 segs in May? Sorry, I like wallowing in misery )
hmm, just a guess but are you making an EXP run?

Last edited by MileageGoblin; May 4, 2006 at 1:48 pm Reason: B/c I'm an idiot.
Old May 4, 2006, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by wannabe_plat
Is this 47 calculated using the same new math as 19 = 15 + 2 ?
So I use base-15 math
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
hmm, just a guess but are you making an EXP run?
Well, yes. Taking advantage of FLY3 + getting to FLY3 + many SAN-STL cheapy fares..... why NOT shoot for EXP the hard way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.