Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

If you had one e-vip, which is better use, ORD west to OGG or the red-eye return?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you had one e-vip, which is better use, ORD west to OGG or the red-eye return?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP

Perhaps it's totally subjective. The westbound flight is longer and you're up to enjoy FC for all of it, but you'll get a better night's sleep in FC seats for the red-eye return. Difference in meals? Btw, this is for my daughter. Mine would be a freebie sticker UPG for whichever leg I upgrade. Then it's coach with my kid for the other leg. Difference in upgrade chances for one vs the other?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
I would suggest not using an eVIP but how about just a 15,000 mile upgrade? One of the best values in the upgrade scheme IMHO. Also, in case you don't know, and I'm somewhat unclear as to waht exactly is going on, but if you are traveling with your daughter you can also upgrade her using your stickers. As for which leg, I'd do it on the return as I like to sleep better.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:49 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
I'd upgrade westbound and let her enjoy the FC experience unless she needs to be fresh and rested after arriving home.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I believe a sticker upgrade (or any other upgrade) is more likely to clear outbound, as lots of people try to upgrade the return. This is subjective and based on limited experience.

Which is better is also subjective, and depends on you, your daughter, and the situation. Do either of you have to go from the airport to work, or will you both be off that day of arrival home? If either of you is going to work, take the return flight.

If you upgrade one of you with VIP or miles, and the other with stickers, it is likely that the sticker upgrade won't clear. This is less important on the return, when both will be sleeping (or trying to) most of the way.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it comes down to how well you can sleep on a plane, particularly in coach. If you're one of those (lucky ones) who passes out right after take-off, then use the upgrade outbound, since you can just sleep on the way back, in the back. If you're like me and can only sleep on a plane with a reclining seat and an Ambien, then upgrade the return. (Actually, if you're like me, you'll do everything in your power to not sit in coach on such a long flight AT ALL. )
Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
I would always pick to upgrade the red eye, rather than having a miserable end to the trip. Even if the way there sucks in coach, you ARE going to Hawaii afterall. As soon as you step off the plane, that will be long forgotten and you have an upgraded return to look forward to.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:00 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Juts monitor the flight closely on Expert Flyer and when it gets down to 2 A class seats, then use the e-VIP fopr the outward.

Anyhow as an EXP you earn enough miles on this journey alone to pay for the Return flight at 15,000.

But if you want to save those miles again monitor it in EP and when it gets down to 2 A Class seats use the miles or Gamble on an EXP Upgrade.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP
Thanks for the good advice!

You know, I hadn't even considered getting a 15K upg. I guess with all the b*tching about co-pays and all, it was wiped clear from my mind. But actually, even though it's a Q class fare, it's to Hawaii, not Europe, so it might be a good use of 15,000 miles. Re using stickers, EXPs don't earn them and I'd rather not spend $270 for the 9 required, though I suppose it's a bargain compared to using an e-vip. I think I can even get the EXP desk to put in for the UPG for my daughter and myself on an all-or-non basis, ie. we either both get it or neither of us do. I realize that might increase the chances of not getting upgraded at all, but such is life. With all the various time windows, fare codes, etc. associated with the various ways of getting upgraded, it's all a crap shoot anyway.
I sometimes think you need a super-computer to game the system considering all the various restrictions/procedures/limitations all interacting with each other. It really can drive you nuts and it sometimes all boils down to "you can't get there from here"! One thing we can take advantage of is perhaps going to the Costco near OGG and getting some food for the red-eye back in case we don't get upgraded for that one. Getting row 21 seats on the 767-300 should help ease the pain in case we wind up in coach.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:16 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
While spending money to guarantee a FC seat (vs miles vs stickers vs eVIP) might not be an option, consider the YUP fares also. $1409 one way might be a better use of money to confirm things ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.