Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA835 MIA/DFW diverted due to medical emergency

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
I cannot speak for the OP, but I assume that his point in mentioning Shreveport was that it is about 20 minutes flying time from Dallas (the original destination), and given that the woman did not want to get off the plane, and that when she later dd she was able to "walk" off, the OP is suggesting that this unscheduled landing was unnecessary.

I assume AA subscribes to one of the in-flight medical services, in which case it's safe to assume that a doctor somewhere thought it was appropriate to make the unscheduling landing even though they were only 20 minutes from the original destination.

I agree that asking for compensation for an in-flight medical emergency is absurd. Obviously AA had no control over it.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:21 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
I would definitely write to AA :

a) To praise for the pilot's actions - I hope to have such a pilot if I, my family or my close friends have a problem on board

b) AA is cutting costs here, there and everywhere - The Captain needs to have strong reasons, and passengers on his side, to land a plane out of schedule

c) I wouldn't ask for miles - but I'd ask AA to send my appreciation to this Captain.

I agree arriving late and missing connections is bad - AA always takes care by putting us on a next available flight. Someone got good medical treatment.

I'm glad AA still is part of the service industry and not simply transporting cargo.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pb9997

a) To praise for the pilot's actions - I hope to have such a pilot if I, my family or my close friends have a problem on board

b) AA is cutting costs here, there and everywhere - The Captain needs to have strong reasons, and passengers on his side, to land a plane out of schedule

c) I wouldn't ask for miles - but I'd ask AA to send my appreciation to this Captain.

I agree arriving late and missing connections is bad - AA always takes care by putting us on a next available flight. Someone got good medical treatment.

I'm glad AA still is part of the service industry and not simply transporting cargo.
^^
^^
^^
Beautifully put.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Skylink USA
Airlines often refuse to give volunteering doctors even a few FF miles or a voucher so it would be unfair if complaining passengers got something but the doctor nothing.

People who don't have medical training wouldn't be expected to know much about medicine so a diversion is reasonable. The fact that it was toward the end of the day probably meant fewer missed connections and missed meetings.

For goodwill, AA should give passengers a bone and give out a few FF miles.

I don't think AA should do anything for anyone for "goodwill". It should be enough goodwill that they weren't willing to risk a passengers life to fly an extra 20 minutes. Who knows what kind of problem this woman had, whether she walked off the plane or not. Why should AA do anything in the name of "goodwill" in this instance? If it had been anything within their control and they weren't acting in the best interests of a passenger in the first place then maybe.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by pb9997

Yup, I agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.