Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

We have completed boarding. If you wish to depart the plane, now is the time to do so

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We have completed boarding. If you wish to depart the plane, now is the time to do so

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat

I have flown 6 times in the last 3 weeks and they either the gate agent or flight attendant said this right before they close the door. Anyone else notice this? Is this new or a new US Airways thing?

"We have completed boarding. If you wish to depart the plane, now is the time to do so."

It was on the following routes:
LHR-LAX
LAX-SFO
SFO-JFK
JFK-LAX

Sort of weird and everyone just sorta chuckles, but someone did get off on my LHR-LAX flight.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I think it's new to AA as part of the merger. Something to do with DOT regulations requiring airlines to advise passengers when their last chance to get off the bus is.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's a new thing, and from my recent observations, is more consistent than pre-departure beverage service. Therefore, it must be mandated.

What I've not observed is anyone taking advantage of the offer.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Yeah, I noticed it first on a flight DFW-MTY and thought it was some international thing... but then all the time.

If it is a dot regulation, was AA not in compliance before the merger?? Or is it risk management- if someone freaks out once the plane pushes it is easier to charge them?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
It's a new thing, and from my recent observations, is more consistent than pre-departure beverage service. Therefore, it must be mandated.
Agreed. Each of my flights the past 3-weeks have had this little out of the ordinary statement. It's funny how we become so accustomed to the standardized announcements that when something "new" creeps into the spiel, we wonder... WTH? Did I really just hear that? The first time I heard it, I actually looked around a bit because the FA looked like she seriously believed someone wanted off the plane. In closing, just wanted you to know your posts have really hit the funny bone tonight.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Have noticed it as well on a number of flights in the past 2 weeks.

Probably another government thing just like that stupid phone message about bleach when you call the exp line.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:02 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
OP noted for LHR-LAX one pax did get off, wouldn't that require locating luggage (if there was any)--delaying departure for an extended time period (since this an intl flt)?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nrr
OP noted for LHR-LAX one pax did get off, wouldn't that require locating luggage (if there was any)--delaying departure for an extended time period (since this an intl flt)?
Probably wouldn't delay the flight any more than a no-show. I'm guessing the "last chance to leave the plane" cutoff is pretty close to the "last chance to board the plane" time.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The only thing I wonder if someone in F/J gets off does #1 on the upgrade list get upgraded, given how many times I end up in the back first on the list.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The only thing I wonder if someone in F/J gets off does #1 on the upgrade list get upgraded, given how many times I end up in the back first on the list.
Spoken like a true FlyerTalker!^

Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Given that AA has never made that announcement in the past, is it really necessary?

There are far too many announcements already.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I saw it happen once.

And chaos ensued because it means their checked luggage has to be removed (FAA regulation).

Delayed us about 15 minutes.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP - MR Plat - HH Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Given that AA has never made that announcement in the past, is it really necessary?

There are far too many announcements already.
Tell me about it. I wish they would just shut up most of the time. I usually go crazy when they mention what they have for food and drinks and they go off saying all the different drinks available "coca cola products including coca cola, diet coke, sprite, ginger ale, apple juice, orange juice....."....SERIOUSLY????
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I haven't flown since May. Is it before or after they start pushing the credit cards?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:27 am

Link to existing thread on topic if mods want to merge:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...r-closing.html

Originally Posted by skunker
I haven't flown since May. Is it before or after they start pushing the credit cards?
Haha, same thought I had!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.