Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How have you AA members put up with AA for so long?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
How have you AA members put up with AA for so long?

So as a US elite (maybe not the most frequent, but I average 65K/year) I recently took my first two international trips on AA.

The first was ORD - PEK which ended up on what has to be the most rundown 777 I've ever been on. It had these disgustingly antiquated little screens for IFE and a remote control/ phone in every armrest, effectively making every arm rest unusable (every time I tried to "rest" my arm, I ended up changing the channel or volume on my or my neighbor's seat).

The food was sub par (Most airline food is, but this is the first time that smelling airline food made me nauseous), the econ seats were horribly uncomfortable.

AND the lights in my part of the plane didn't work, so I was stuck with almost no entertainment options and no lights so I couldn't even read a book to pass the 14 hours in-flight.

I tried buying an upgrade with miles, something that was a breeze on Star Alliance and made the trans-pacific trips MUCH better, but no, apparently even as a OW Sapphire, I am not allowed to buy a business upgrade with miles.

The return PEK-ORD was just as bad, coupled with a 1+ hour delay for yet OTHER mechanical problems that caused me to miss my final connection in ORD and forced me to rebook on United to get home at a reasonable hour.

Next trip was JFK to ZRH on a 767. This one had less underseat space because of IFE boxes under the seats, but there is no in-seat IFE. So why exactly ARE there boxes taking up precious leg/foot room if there's no IFE system in the seat? The seats ALSO had the damnable armrest phone/remote control thing.

So far, the ONLY thing I've seen that AA has going for it is MCE and the flight crews. They Flight crews are pretty awesome, I will admit. But so far, I can't fathom why anyone would fly AA voluntarily...

Am I just unlucky and happen to fly the two worst routes in the AA catalog? I have NEVER had issues like this, on US or any SA carrier. Hell, even Air China was better than AA... and Cathay Pacific put them all to shame.

And lets not get started on "Customer Service" which so far has completely refused to return any messages beyond generic platitudes on Twitter. I actually used their website to complain about a number of things and have thus far been completely ignored. US has always been so responsive to me.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We'll move this to the proper pre-merger forum, as this doesn't relate to the post-merger era or program aspects.

/Moderator
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP
It's probably the routes.
I remember that in flying 150k+/year on UA there were always a few routes that were awful. I remember ORD-HNL in F. It was the crappiest F experience ever. The plane must have not been updated for 30+ years. It was seriously more uncomfortable than AA MCE at the time, and it was a long flight.

I've been on a few AA flights, including the dreaded DFW-HKG. I've always been in MCE however, and they are always enjoyable. MCE and Premium Economy are the greatest additions to the airline industry in recent years.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:39 pm
Suspended

They're holding my parents. I'd get out of I could.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
They Flight crews are pretty awesome, I will admit. But so far, I can't fathom why anyone would fly AA voluntarily...
I think you answered your own question. I fly AA because of the excellent service from the frontline staff. Oh yeah, and the AAdvantage program.

If you were looking for people to respond to your specific complaints (yes the IFE boxes are awful), maybe rewrite this to not be a rant? Or maybe you were just venting. If so let me know and I will delete this post and replace it with some snark instead.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
There are routes where the "service" is (almost) always terrible

MrsDallas49er and I fly to CDG 4-7 times a year. We, living in the DFW Metroplex, avoid the nonstop in & out of DFW (#48 & #49), due to, what some AA FA's call the "Paris Mafia". Senior, Senior, Senior FA's who generate little to no service above bare minimum (if that), are marking time, and who have bought into a do nothing FA culture on this route for decades.

OP-Perhaps you have experieced the beginnings of a new "Beijing Mafia".

OBTW-I hub through MIA to get to CDG, and fly CX to anything 3 miles west of LAX.

Just sayin'
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
Am I just unlucky and happen to fly the two worst routes in the AA catalog? I have NEVER had issues like this, on US or any SA carrier. Hell, even Air China was better than AA... and Cathay Pacific put them all to shame.
I think it was the route, although all of AA's older widebodies are "nothing special in the air". I have done ORD-PEK and return on the 777 in J and was very underwhelmed with the experience, particularly since I had just flown in J on the new 77W (JFK-LHR and LHR-DFW). The plane was more or less clean but was otherwise an aging dump. As the second language on the signs was Chinese I suspect they are using these crummier planes for that route.

You got back luck on the plane but it sounds like good luck on the crew. A lazy and inattentive crew is not unheard of on AA overseas flights.

I got an upgrade via SWU but if I was paying for business class I certainly would choose another airline.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Y sucks, particularly on long haul and even worse on a 763 or 757. MCE makes it a bit more tolerable but its painful. You can't dress up a subway ride in the sky.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The last time they revised the Geneva Accords, they came close to declaring travel on American Airlines "cruel and unusual punishment". The U.N. was to hold hearings on "postural stress Economy seats" and under seat IFE boxes without purpose. But they got sidetracked by North Korean prison camps and water boarding.

Unfortunately for the OP AA is refurbishing the 772 and transatlantic 763, so he will find himself further stymied.

And it seems there are so many sheep-like brainwashed people buying higher classes in AA cabins, he couldn't purchase an upgrade (or was it because he had the "wrong currency", USDM.)

We're such idiots, flying AA, and since I've been flying them since the 1940s, it's obvious I'm a total masochist. Yes, I flagellate myself to sleep every night, and wear the cilice (spiked chain) tightened down on my thigh to remind myself I am not worthy of flying better airlines than AA.

But never fear, Sir William Douglas of Parker will ride in shining armor on his white horse and will rescue this blight we call an airline! Economy will sport great recliner chairs, jugglers, jesters and large screen entertainment offering 1,000 channels will be throughout Economy and banquet foods will be served to all, just as it is on other airlines, including HP and US. Though it's likely I'll end up cleaning up after his horse... though I am sure I am not worthy!

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 19, 2014 at 7:52 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Well I've been a member of AAdvantage since 2008

But actually fly in an AA aeroplane!!! The last time was in 2012!!

However I might have to bite the bullet and do it (four times!) next year - in order to retain status.

No wait - the four flights could be codeshare flights, phew

But, all (attempts at) joking aside
I have had no complaints when I've flown AA metal flights
and the only reason I've not flown them in the last few years is because they didn't fit my travel plans
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Sorry, I can't relate to your complaints as 100% of my upgrades cleared the last 5 years so I don't get to see the torture you experience.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
I put this into the funniest thread of the year category. The moment someone tries to argue US has better service (domestic or internationally) I laugh till it hurts.

BTW, Y sucks on almost all airlines and if you want J or F guaranteed here is a novel concept for you: pay for it.

Cheers,
AA777
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by AA777
I put this into the funniest thread of the year category. The moment someone tries to argue US has better service (domestic or internationally) I laugh till it hurts.

BTW, Y sucks on almost all airlines and if you want J or F guaranteed here is a novel concept for you: pay for it.

Cheers,
AA777
Having flown both this year on Trans-Atlantics and domestically, I have a pretty fresh comparison and the planes are better on the US flights I've head, AA edges out on Crews just barely.

And here's a novel concept, there's a thing called an Alliance. In this case, OneWorld that I keep hearing is so grand. Wouldn't it be just spiffy if I, as a OW member/customer with OW qualifying miles on a OW partner airline could use those OW miles to buy a Business Upgrade on a OW flight on a different OW airline, much like buying ANY ticket on OW flights using OW miles earned on a OW airline?

As I said, never an issue for me before when US was in Star Alliance.

And yes, ALL US Domestic carriers suck in one way or another. The US Carriers can't really hold a candle to the bigger Asian or European carriers. Hell, I loved trans-Pacific on even Air Canada, which put both US and AA to shame.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Y sucks, particularly on long haul and even worse on a 763 or 757. MCE makes it a bit more tolerable but its painful. You can't dress up a subway ride in the sky.
I will grant AA this, MCE IS the best thing in any Econ section going right now... I give credit where it's due.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by JonNYC
They're holding my parents. I'd get out if I could.
Literally LOL at my desk....

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Nov 19, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.