Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else ever got an apology from AA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Anyone else ever got an apology from AA?

As a former loyal AA (5 million mile) flyer, I am so disappointed that American respond to a complaint with a four paragraph letter....that doesn't even include an apology. My Grandmother used to say apologies were 'free'. I'm sad AA doesn't seem to think that is the case - anyone else have the same issue with getting a simple 'sorry' from AA? 'Travel with us often'? REALLY? Unlikely.

'While we realize you are upset with us, we are glad you took the time to write and offer your comments about the type of aircraft we are currently operating on your upcoming flight from London Heathrow to Dallas Fort Worth International Airport in January. We continually evaluate the profitability of each flight segment we operate and, where appropriate, we withdraw from serving a particular area or change the type of aircraft when we find our resources could be better utilized elsewhere. Likewise, we add service -- either with new routes, larger aircraft, or greater frequency -- where it would be profitable to do so and we have the available equipment and personnel. It is always helpful for us to consider our products and services from our customers' perspective, and you can be sure the appropriate managers are reviewing your comments. We try to be responsive to our customers and carefully analyze information based upon their reactions. In this way we can identify those service elements that are most appealing as well as improve those that produce a negative response. Since your itinerary was modified due to an equipment change, we understand that you are requesting a gesture of goodwill on our part. At the same time, due to the many variables that impact airline operations, schedule changes are sometimes a necessity for every airline. Please know, however, that schedule changes are made only when necessary and in as responsible a manner as possible. So, while we understand your perspective, there is no adjustment warranted. Thank you for sharing your opinion. We value your loyalty and support and are eager to continue the beneficial relationship we have developed to date. We are all working hard to ensure that every flight you take on American is enjoyable. Please continue to travel with us often.' Sincerely, Customer Relations
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
What was your complaint - what where you asking them to apologize for? It sounds like there was some sort of equipment change, was there more to it than that?

Also, what were you asking for? The response from AA indicates that you requested a "gesture of goodwill," not just a "simple 'sorry'".

To your subject line - yes, I have actually received an apology - with the phrase "we're sorry" - from AA.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Wow! It's hard to believe someone would publicly declare they will no longer fly a particular airline due to a single incident.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Note that is post #1.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
It sounds to me like you're upset they made an equipment change? Yeah, I purposely booked a RT FirstClass to GRU and on the way out due to IRROPS I had to route through MIA versus DFW and on the way back they had an equip change. So when I thought I was getting FC on the 77W I was on the 777. It sucked, but it's business. What am I gonna do, stomp my feet?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:35 am

I have once. It was a legitimate concern though, which is probably the difference to the OPs grumbling.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I have once. It was a legitimate concern though, which is probably the difference to the OPs grumbling.
I figure every single complaint ive had has stated "On behalf of American Airlines, I apologize for..." whatever transgression.

Ive only once been even disappointed by AA CR... where i got miles instead of a voucher to cover my expenses after mechanical.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Why expect an apology for an aircraft switch? Your contract with AA only specifies that the airline will get you from point A to point B in a reasonable amount of time. It appears that's what they provided albeit explaining that the aircraft utilized was the most efficient and practical for the route involved.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Why expect an apology for an aircraft switch? Your contract with AA only specifies that the airline will get you from point A to point B in a reasonable amount of time. It appears that's what they provided albeit explaining that the aircraft utilized was the most efficient and practical for the route involved.
I agree. I have had some whacky equipment changes over the years and feel its nothing to complain about. A lot of changes have worked in my favor like the MD-80 change to 762 MCO-JFK and the JFK-LAX-HNL change to JFK-MIA-LAX (777)-HNL in first because of weather.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Hey guys, wow, quite a welcome! It IS my first post, but don't we all start with a first post? I'm a five million miller on AA, but over the last year feel, pun intended, the wings have totally fallen off. This isn't a 'single incident', but more a final straw - I don't care if the food sucks, my pillow is small or my nuts aren't warm (so to speak), its an airplane not a four star resort. But I've reached the end of my rope and was simply wondering if others feel the same.

If any of you care, here is the 'back story' I was trying to avoid boring you all with....Earlier in the year I booked a flight in business with miles on AA as a Christmas gift for my two teenage 'plane geek' kids who wanted to fly a 77W - we all want to encourage a love for flying, don't we? Especially on this kind of site? I understand AA (like every airline) need to change equipment, even though the difference between a 777 and a 77W is a little like being downgraded from a premium rental car to a compact - I'm not the only one to express umbrage with this change on these forums.

Anyway, I called AA asking them if they could re-route us through a different city (like JFK or LAX) that still has 77W running from LHR....they said they couldn't, as the final leg to PHX is on USAirways, and they can't change a USAirways award ticket EVEN THOUGH AA ISSUED IT. So that is the 'goodwill' I was asking AA for - 'please can you change my award ticket you issued, so we can fly on the plane that was a big reason for the trip, and a Christmas gift for my kids'? As I believe there is some kind of 'merger' going on, it didn't seem an extreme request...I wasn't looking for anything 'free'. I didn't want to be rubbed down with gold bullion or carried through the airport on a red carpet. Just to change a flight.

Hence my disappointment when not only did they refuse to do that, they didn't even apologize... something as simple as 'we're really sorry, we understand this must be disappointing for you all, but there are challenges...blah blah blah.' would have gone a long way....maybe I'm just old fashioned, but it struck me as odd to the point of rude.

As a 'long time listener, first time caller' to Flyertalk' I simply wanted to gauge whether others had got the same kind of cold response. Clearly I am about as welcome here as I am on AA - sorry I made my 'first post'. I won't do that again :roll eyes:

Oh, and I didn't say I won't fly AA again. I said I'm no longer 'loyal'...the difference is a few years ago, I'd go out of my way to fly AA - now, I don't really care. I am VERY lucky a lot of my clients fly me first on domestic flights, business internationally, so it isn't really even an issue of upgrades. So they haven't lost my business, they have lost my LOYALTY. Something I fight pretty hard for in my clients and I think AA used to focus on. Now? Not so sure....

Last edited by Lightswitchjohn; Oct 20, 2014 at 10:52 am Reason: added comment....
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:08 pm

It should be possible to change a us airways award segment booked through American...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
John, they gave you a pretty cogent explanation of the business reasons for re-evaluating what plane is used. Frankly, they treated you like an adult who could understand the issues and explained themselves well.

Hope you will stick around FT and share your experience. One of the things you will see here is that equipment swaps are common and a fact of life, with no guarantees. All in all, given that your sons got a really fantastic trip from you, the exact type of plane is pretty minor.

Hope they really enjoy the trip!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I really don't know what a more effusive 'sorry' would have done. As for the equipment swap, it sucks (we all agree) but understand that it is part of the business. As another poster has mentioned before, people have ended up with 763s subbed in for 757s or a 75L international config randomly shows up.

You win some, you lose some.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

OK, on the very cusp of beating this to death...:roll eyes:

'Spirals' - you think you could change it, right? But apparently, coming into the US internationally on AA, and changing to a USAirways flight as part of the same leg....you can't. Who knew?

'Doc Savage' (great screen name, BTW. My Dad used to read those) - I agree they made a compelling business argument, which i TOTALY get....and flying as much as I do, equipment changes are indeed part of life. I do have to say though, having spread my business around a bit more in the last few years, they seem more common on AA than United or USAirways...but maybe thats just my impression. Oh, and my 'AV Geek' kids are girls, and I'm proud of my 'science nerds'! As an aside, when she was about 8 someone who didn't know her well bought our oldest daughter a Barbie...who became the unwilling 'astronaut' on the large Estes rocket kit we had bought her....never to be seen again! She's now a well traveled 22 year old and 77W was on her 'bucket list' of planes...but really, business class on a 777 or a 77W - high class problem to have, right? I just don't like disappointing my kids...

'Antarus' - An apology, effusive or otherwise, would have simply made ME feel better, and like they cared...I know they don't, but I'd have FELT that way! I own a business with 45 employees and when we screw up or upset a customer, my mantra is the VERY FIRST thing we do is offer a pretty sincere apology - even if there isn't ultimately anything we can do. Like I said, an apology is free, and rarely makes situations worse. I'm old enough to remember when AA would CALL to respond to customer service issues...but I'm also old enough to remember flying AA 747's!!

So really based on the feedback here I need to just get over it and suck it up (agreed!!) and accept less than stellar, less than personal customer service as a very long time AA customer...I'm less happy accepting that. Even if I AM delusional.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Are you saying you asked them to change an award to have a segment on US instead of AA, and even though there were award seats currently available, they would not let you change?

I will also admit to have received apologies from AA, as well as compensation,even without asking for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.