Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award: Cathay award available on JAL.com but not AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

After few months of consistent checking award availability on my CX flight, JAL.com finally shows one First Class award seat available. I called AA reservation immediately, but twice I called them AA said no award available on that date. Is this normal? Is there discrepency between JAL.com and AA?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Checked BA, it also has 1 first class award, called AA third time, no availability
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:46 am

I'm having this same problem with AA right now. Maybe there's a data connection problem. I want that seat!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Cathay award available on JAL.com but not AA?

I seriously believe that there is blocking by AA. When I see CX J show up for to/from EWR in BA, it is avail (IME) on AA. F award to/from JFK, YMMV. I don't think it is a GDS system issue.

My suggestion is to call AA frequently to check. 3-4 prior to departure, the "block" gets removed.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
IME this happens from time to time. I don't really understand why, though. I usually solve it with persistence.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
IME this happens from time to time. I don't really understand why, though. I usually solve it with persistence.
Agree with both sentiments 100%. The link goes down periodically, and them comes back up-- usually pretty quickly (in the case if CX anyway.).

Not blocking, technical issues.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:38 am
Original Poster

called 2nd day, still nothing. this blows lol
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Agree with both sentiments 100%. The link goes down periodically, and them comes back up-- usually pretty quickly (in the case if CX anyway.).

Not blocking, technical issues.
Originally Posted by Hi5z
called 2nd day, still nothing. this blows lol
I've seen F seat appear to JFK for 4 days on BA not on AA before the seat disappears off BA (guess someone else claim it). I find it hard to believe the link is down for 4 days while within the same 4 day period, HKG-EWR newly appears on BA and bookable in AA. If it is a link issue, it's even harder to conceive the link outage only appears to affect JFK but not EWR flights.

That is why I believe it is a blocking issue.

To further test my theory, I'm currently looking for HKG to Europe flights for mid-Oct. Currently it is available to CX members. When it opens up for BA, I'll see if it is immediately available to AA. My theory is that it will be as there are probably less AA members are chasing HKG-Europe CX flights.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
...To further test my theory, I'm currently looking for HKG to Europe flights for mid-Oct. Currently it is available to CX members. When it opens up for BA, I'll see if it is immediately available to AA. My theory is that it will be as there are probably less AA members are chasing HKG-Europe CX flights.
I'll "match" that experiment in this way; as/if/when that happens, once AA says no to that seat 2x, I'll go on my BA.com account and try and book it. Reason being that with JJ, we found that BA calendar showed available, but errored out in final stage of booking-- during the absolute last step, credit card verification.

So, if you're game, PM me as soon as you see it open for BA redemption and when 2 AA agents say no over, say, a period of 36 hours. Would be good to have solid evidence to present to AA.

if you prefer to pick a date that's one you're -not- looking to use, I'll do that to. I'll cancel the seat soon thereafter. Probably best to pick a flight that BA says has more than one award availability so the experiment doesn't prevent someone from getting a seat they need.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:06 am
Original Poster

10/2 JFK-HKG CX841 F available on both jal and ba, although i havent tried to purchase it on ba to get to the last page
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:08 am
Suspended

10/2 JFK-HKG CX841 F available on both jal and ba, although i havent tried to purchase it on ba to get to the last page
And you checked with AA just now/within last hour or so?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:24 am
Suspended

I've seen F seat appear to JFK for 4 days on BA not on AA before the seat disappears off BA (guess someone else claim it). I find it hard to believe the link is down for 4 days while within the same 4 day period, HKG-EWR newly appears on BA and bookable in AA. If it is a link issue, it's even harder to conceive the link outage only appears to affect JFK but not EWR flights.

That is why I believe it is a blocking issue.

To further test my theory, I'm currently looking for HKG to Europe flights for mid-Oct. Currently it is available to CX members. When it opens up for BA, I'll see if it is immediately available to AA. My theory is that it will be as there are probably less AA members are chasing HKG-Europe CX flights.
I seriously believe that there is blocking by AA. When I see CX J show up for to/from EWR in BA, it is avail (IME) on AA. F award to/from JFK, YMMV. I don't think it is a GDS system issue.

My suggestion is to call AA frequently to check. 3-4 prior to departure, the "block" gets removed.
Well, you're both right-- I called AA, confirmed that that seat (10/2 JFK-HKG CX841 F) was not available through them and then immediately booked it on BA.com (I'll now cancel the booking immediately, needless to say.)

I'd still maintain that this is more likely an AAgent training issue and/or temporary outage and would require tons more info before I, personally, would accept that it's CX (or AA) blocking/being blocked "in front of" other OW partners, but, for now, there's clearly an issue, I'd agree.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Well, you're both right-- I called AA, confirmed that that seat (10/2 JFK-HKG CX841 F) was not available through them and then immediately booked it on BA.com (I'll now cancel the booking immediately, needless to say.)
I have since cancelled that booking and the seat *instantly* returned to award-availble on BA. Might try AA again, maybe what I did kinda "shook it lose" (kidding, of course.)
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Its funny that i've been checking the availability almost once everyday since i booked C last december, i was so thrilled F showed up finally but such a downer AA doesnt have it lol.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:13 pm

Has this resolved for anyone? I'm tired of calling AA to ask if they see it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.