Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Blogger reports that meals in F to be eliminated on flights less than 1150 miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bonehead
+1 to those who suggested writing Corporate Customer Relations and flooding them with complaints about this potential new policy. Even if this alleged new policy is untrue, management needs to know we value their meals in F and will not stand for such a drastic cutback.

Here's a potential draft. Customize/tweak as necessary.

Dear AA Customer Relations/Mr. Adler:

I am a [level of elite/frequent paid first class customer] who flies [route] often in First Class. I have always enjoyed the meals that were offered, especially on those routes that fall under 2.75 hours. There has been word spreading around the Internet that come September 1st, meals on less-than-2.75 hour (1000 nautical miles) routes will be eliminated, with few exceptions. Here's an example of the word being spread: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....g-september-1/

This is unacceptable because American Airlines has always alluded to a premium image, treating its domestic First Class to meals on as short as 600-mile flights. It's very important to keep your premium customers, such as myself, coming, and meals is a big enticement for people to pay revenue First class fares. Sometimes business travelers do not have time to grab a meal at home or at the airport before flying, so meals are a nice incentive to pay for First Class. Additionally, this is a competitive benefit, as some of your competitors do not offer meals on the routes you offer meals on. Matching other competitors and even setting the threshold higher will lessen competition and will erode customer confidence in the new, merged American. This is not the time to cut corners. Additionally, American Airlines has not significantly reduced meal service windows in more than a decade, so why start now if what has worked for those years still work now?

If the new policy being discussed is true, I ask you to please rethink this carefully. Please do not disappoint me, as an [elite/paid first class flier], and do not disappoint your other customers. Make your First Class product stand out, differentiate it, keep it truly premium, and you will retain your high-value flyers. Do not make the same mistake United did. I understand the need for US Airways to save on domestic First class meals, given its’ tight budget, but American Airlines is a different airline. You no longer work for an airline that has its stock ticker called LLC – you work for a premium airline, and I expect better than this.

Respectfully,
[your name]

Send to:
[email protected] (VIP of In-Flight Service)
[email protected] (Customer Relations - above text won't fit in the form at AA's website due to a text count limitation)
[email protected] (Doug Parker - maybe as a last resort?)

If this draft looks good, please send it to AA. Doesn't hurt, doesn't cost anything, and who knows, if we flood them with this message, they may reconsider. Any feedback is welcome.
Print Wikipost

Blogger reports that meals in F to be eliminated on flights less than 1150 miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

According to Gart Leff's (in his view from the wing blog) flights under 1150 miles will not have meals in first (approximately 2:45 in the air)

Won't hurt me much as an LAX originator, but I feel for those who transit ORD or DFW and don't live more than 1150 miles away.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'll believe it when I see it. Hope this isn't true though.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
For those who are interested, the link to the blog.

Personally? I don't believe it. It's already been investigated and discussed in depth, and the determination has came that 1000nm was a mistake in the original announcement, because some US flights that are under 1000nm (such as PHL-MIA) now receive meals. The discussion led to the finding that 1000mi was most likely the real policy. So, it wouldn't make any sense, especially given the recent improvements.

As for the AA representative, it's possible: a) he could've been misinformed, b) minunderstood and thought it was US the person was asking about, or c) basing his answer on an old, cancelled decision to move AA windows to 1000nm.

Also, it doesn't make sense that there has been some improvements being made to transcon service (additional menu choice on all flights, redeye meal improvements, and sorbets as a transcon breakfast dessert).

Not only that, but UA/DL has a 900mi threshold. It wouldn't make sense that AA, having a premium image, would go from the best to worst. I'll believe it when I see it, though.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
If the "company representative" that Gleff talked to was an AA social media rep, they're often wrong. [surprisingly] Honestly, I don't hold much stock in AA's social media team.

This story is speculation with no definitive proof besides what he heard from a "company representative."

AA would be foolish to cut meals when they have the best domestic meals amongst the big 3 legacy carriers.

If AA cuts meals on routes 1150 miles or less-- even "non-business routes", United will have a better meal offering, and this would be a boon for United.

Many [like myself] would have to take a hard look at considering whether paying more for AA in a Premium cabin is worth it when the competition offers lessor meal choices [currently] and lower fares in Premium cabins, on many routes.

With WN starting national service at DAL this fall when the Wright Amendment expires, AA will be having serious competition. They'll need to do everything they can to keep their customers happy, especially those flying in a Premium Cabin.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Is this the same "company representative" that tweeted that American Airlines was discontinuing service to Cali?

I do expect harmonization and reduced meal service, but I'd be shocked if it was this drastic. And if it is, I think it's time for me to just go to jetBlue and not look back.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I certainly hope it's not true, if so it would be a truly boneheaded move. Even if it is 1,000 miles that puts it 100 miles more than Delta's current window. That would also make numerous routes where AA competes and currently offers more than their competition now without a meal. These include:
- DFW-ATL/DEN/MSP/ORD
- ORD-BOS/DCA/DFW/DEN/LGA/RDU
- LAX-DEN

And those are just off the top of my head. If AA wants to reduce the mileage, I think 725 would be a good number, that means everything LGA-ORD and up keeps a meal. Seems as good a benchmark as any.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
...That would also make numerous routes where AA competes and currently offers more than their competition now without a meal. These include...
Under the clarification, the AA spokesman stated that certain routes under the threshold would keep meals notwithstanding them being under the threshold mileage-- undoubted with this exact factor in mind.

There is zero question at this point that a new meal window thingy that "will align both airlines" is starting September 1st-- that's confirmed-- but details are not something I'm personally privy to.

Here is the *current* (not the new, starting-September 1st, chart)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54131097@N07/14366880191/

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 7, 2014 at 7:27 pm
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Max M
If AA cuts meals on routes 1150 miles or less-- even "non-business routes", United will have a better meal offering, and this would be a boon for United.
Not really, given UA's meals are absolute garbage domestically, unless you are on PS.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Under the clarification, the AA spokesman stated that certain routes under the threshold would keep meals notwithstanding them being under the threshold mileage-- undoubted with this exact factor in mind.

There is zero question at this point that a new meal window thingy that "will align both airlines" is starting September 1st-- that's confirmed-- but details are not something I'm personally privy to.
So basically, under 1150 it's no meals if it's a "vacationer/easy upgrade for golds/who gives a flying" kind of route ... It's not that I mind, when all is said and done I don't fly many such routes, just seems way more complicated than it needed to be.

Frankly, if they haven't made their mind up by now about what they are doing in two and a half months they are incompetent. So the only reasonable assumption is that this is bad news
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:01 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Must vent here - sorry....

I am so sick and tired of all the cutbacks and devals in the industry.

Its just frankly exhausting.

Thank goodness I did a lot of my flying prior to this mess.

My sincere condolences to those who must repeatedly put up with cutback after cutback.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:27 pm
Suspended

If this is the case, very disappointing AA has decided to join the race to the bottom...so much for AA becoming a 'world class' airline -- i think i hear the big sucking sound...
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:34 pm

I'm confused. Where is the clarification? There is no source of the company representative - Twitter rep? Call center rep? HQ rep?

Do you KNOW the new meal windows or not, JonNYC? I would like a bit more clarification.

Originally Posted by JonNYC

Here is the *current* (not the new, starting-September 1st, chart)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54131097@N07/14366880191/
Also, it says 'new' on the chart - I presume this is from a few years or so ago?

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Jun 7, 2014 at 8:42 pm
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Meals in F eliminated on flights less than 1150 miles

I hope the routes under the threshold get a substantial snack. it doesn't need to be a 3 course meal, but perhaps a nice salad or a sandwich could work.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:01 pm

Update - answered my question as to who the representative was, and the credibility of the source.

This wasn’t a random employee conversation, this was a vetted answer by a spokesperson who verified the detail and then clarified above (certain routes are exceptions to the ‘nautical mile’ measure).
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Update - answered my question as to who the representative was, and the credibility of the source.
With current financial performance, sad that AA doesn't want to keep a significant product advantage.

The U.S. industry certainly knows how to cut costs and increase losses or decrease profits at the same time IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.