Wiki Posts
Search

Help me price this award please?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Help me price this award please?

CX HKG-USA in F
AA USA-USA on Eagle (one class equipment)

Saver isn't available on any flight on Eagle even 11 months out.

Rep says I have to buy an AANytime award for the second flight.

So is 67.5k + 25k the correct pricing for this itinerary?

It's a downgrade on the second flight, so in theory, shouldn't F saver mileage cover C AAnytime space?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You aren't specific enough. It could price as two awards due to lack of a published non-constructed fare by the overwater carrier between HKG and the specific USA airport.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You aren't specific enough. It could price as two awards due to lack of a published non-constructed fare by the overwater carrier between HKG and the specific USA airport.
No, that's not it. It's purely saaver availability vs. aanytime availability on the domestic leg.

It prices all in at 67.5k when saaver is available on the domestic.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Assuming it is a valid, published fare, it would be USA-HKG 67.5k for F sAAver.

If no sAAver availability exists from USA-USA, that would indeed be a separate award.

sAAver inventory books into T for economy, U for business and Z for first. Never into C, which is used for upgrades.

AAnytime Awards, if I recall correctly, simply book into Y, J, and F inventories.

You may have luck asking for a "To complete trip" seat to be opened on the eagle flight, or by finding an alternative flight if available.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phasers

You may have luck asking for a "To complete trip" seat to be opened on the eagle flight, or by finding an alternative flight if available.
Thanks for that tip. Unfortunately, there is no saaver availability between the city pairs (among multiple flight options) that day, even 11 months out. Since it's harder to get the CX ticket (one would have thought anyway), I held that one first.

No status on AA, but I can give it a try.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
OP, understand: AFAIK, as 3Cforme states, if CX doesn't offer an unconstructed fare between HKG and your U.S. destination, you'll not be able to book this as one award, regardless of MileSAAver availability on that connection. (We have no way of knowing because of your apparent reluctance to tell us your destination.)
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
OP, understand: AFAIK, as 3Cforme states, if CX doesn't offer an unconstructed fare between HKG and your U.S. destination, you'll not be able to book this as one award, regardless of MileSAAver availability on that connection. (We have no way of knowing because of your apparent reluctance to tell us your destination.)
Yes, I had this checked out and it wasn't an issue. Thanks
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Yes, I had this checked out and it wasn't an issue. Thanks
Just wanted to be sure, because it has been a source of frustration with some other members seeking awards. Good luck.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Just wanted to be sure, because it has been a source of frustration with some other members seeking awards. Good luck.
I totally hear you. I had it priced out with the same routing/flights on a different date with saaver all the way and it came out at 67.5k all in. I'm not able to fly those days though.

I just, ignorantly, assumed this was a type of "voluntary downgrade" situation with a one class aircraft, so the F mileage (booked in Z on CX) would cover the domestic leg no matter what was available.

Last edited by saaveraward; Jun 2, 2014 at 1:54 pm
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It might be worth a phone call to ask AA to release saver award space on the connecting itinerary "to complete an itinerary".

VftW blog covered this recently.
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....how-available/
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If there is no saver availability and agent cannot successfully request additional availability, then the agent is correct in that you will need a 2nd award. You cannot include an anytime award in as part of a saver award

That your saver award is a 1st class one makes no differerence
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

update - AAgent said they're not allowed to request space to complete an itinerary. Called back a day later and AAgent says they ran it and got denied (no status).

I guess the thing that irks me is there's no saaver awards between two cities (12 flights a day!) on a certain day of the week for an entire month 11 months out.

Who knew it'd be easier to get a CX award in first than saaver on a RJ a year in advance?!?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody

Who knew it'd be easier to get a CX award in first than saaver on a RJ a year in advance?!?
This is no great news to me nor most regulars on this board (sadly & unfortunately).
I remember getting an even more coveted award (QF F) without being able to make a domestic connection with AA (LAX-SFO).
Consider getting the cheapest domestic ticket with lots of connecting time (SWA?) in order to keep your more important reservation on CX F.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paulchili
This is no great news to me nor most regulars on this board (sadly & unfortunately).
I remember getting an even more coveted award (QF F) without being able to make a domestic connection with AA (LAX-SFO).
Consider getting the cheapest domestic ticket with lots of connecting time (SWA?) in order to keep your more important reservation on CX F.
I think that's the best play. Spend the few hundred bucks on a separate flexible ticket, except I won't get priority AAcess or Flagship privileges I'd imagine, unless they accept the inbound CX ticket for entrance.

Or I'll book with another carrier.

I'd love to use avios, but same problem since no saaver availability.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

update - AAgent said they're not allowed to request space to complete an itinerary. Called back a day later and AAgent says they ran it and got denied (no status).

I guess the thing that irks me is there's no saaver awards between two cities (12 flights a day!) on a certain day of the week for an entire month 11 months out.

If it is just that day of the week, can you go the previous day and time it so that you spend < 24 hours at the connecting point. Then if availability opens up on day you wish to travel , you can change the date free of charge. Alternatively if travelling day before is a problem, may be worth booking the previous day and holding out for availability to open; if it does that is great, if not, then phone and cancel that segment

Removing a segment at the beginning would incur no charge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.