Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change: Rights, Refunds, Reschedules - Next step? (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Exec_Plat
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

SCHG: Schedule Change: Rights, Refunds, Reschedules
AA has relocated access

The link to the 'agency' table of contents is here:

https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...yRefernce.html

Including "Rules" 80 and 240 - TBD - Looking for a source for rules.

Notes:

As you will see there are a good many sections/subjects. The key areas for this wiki are "Schedule Changes". For this sub-section see:

https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...e%20Change.pdf

The index of individual topics on the first page will jump you to each of the sections in the document

Note that issues around this question can be complex: Which airline you are flying, what caused the reschedule, how long is the delay, is it a cancellation of service, etc, etc. Then combine this with what do YOU want? reaccomodation on AA? A different carrier? new routing? a full refund? A voucher? You should read/skim through the whole document to make sure you are focused on the proper area that applies to your situation

This document should clarify at what point AA will refund, endorse tickets to other airlines, whether a customer accepts or rejects offered schedule amendments, time delays required for certain actions, etc.

These instructions to agents are lengthy and were essential to understanding what you can ask AA to do with a reasonable probability of being satisfied, versus what is very likely to be denied. Essentially if they are telling the travel agent "you can do this", then surely an AA telephone agent can/will do the same.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

I booked two award tickets at the beginning of Sept 2013.

I paid 30K miles each for the following itinerary

LIM-LAX (Nov 2013) // LAX-HNL (May 2014).

The LIM-LAX flight was in coach since nothing opened up in business; however, my LAX-HNL is confirmed in first. I was notified in Dec that the LAX-HNL flight is now going to depart 40 mins earlier.

Do you guys think, I can use the schedule change as a reason to either:

1. Cancel the ticket since the schedule change doesn't work for me. If I request to cancel the ticket, how many miles will I get back?
2. Get a confirmed first seat for a date in future? What if there are no award seats available for that particular date?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
AA already allows free date & time changes on award tickets. You don't need a schedule change for this. So search aa.com for a better LAX-HNL date in the future (up to 1 yr. from ticketing) and give AA a call, they will make the change for free.

If the earlier flight time truly doesn't work, it's possible AA would open up seats on a later LAX-HNL flight that same day. Given it's only a 40 min change, it's doubtful they would open up anything on a date in the future.

If you just cancelled your last segment, on the surface you would not get any miles back. LIM-LAX is 30k in J, the same as LIM-LAX-HNL, so you've already 'gotten what you paid for'.

Since you flew your first segment in Y though, you could possibly see if AA could switch your LAX-HNL to Y and downgrade you to a 15k Y award. This is a grey area though since travel has already begun, and it may or may not involve the $150 award re-deposit fee.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA already allows free date & time changes on award tickets. You don't need a schedule change for this. So search aa.com for a better LAX-HNL date in the future (up to 1 yr. from ticketing) and give AA a call, they will make the change for free.

If the earlier flight time truly doesn't work, it's possible AA would open up seats on a later LAX-HNL flight that same day. Given it's only a 40 min change, it's doubtful they would open up anything on a date in the future.

If you just cancelled your last segment, on the surface you would not get any miles back. LIM-LAX is 30k in J, the same as LIM-LAX-HNL, so you've already 'gotten what you paid for'.

Since you flew your first segment in Y though, you could possibly see if AA could switch your LAX-HNL to Y and downgrade you to a 15k Y award. This is a grey area though since travel has already begun, and it may or may not involve the $150 award re-deposit fee.
Thansk for the reply.

I disagree with you that I got what I paid for. I paid for a ticket from LIM-HNL and I've only got to LAX.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by aegt123
Thansk for the reply.

I disagree with you that I got what I paid for. I paid for a ticket from LIM-HNL and I've only got to LAX.
what the comment about getting what you paid for meant was this:
you have to pay 30k miles for what you've already flown. If you never fly the rest of the segments, it's not like the 30k for longer trip suddenly decreases if you don't finish the journey. You won't get any miles back at all.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:06 pm
Suspended

2. Get a confirmed first seat for a date in future? What if there are no award seats available for that particular date?
As stated above, you are free to change to any date you like for your LAX-HNL, award first inventory will, needless to say, have to be available for your desired date. The 40 minute change is irrelevant in this scenario.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

I was hoping that since they changed the schedule, I could book any time in future regardless of the award inventory. Though my first preference would be to cancel the ticket.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:12 pm
Suspended

I was hoping that since they changed the schedule, I could book any time in future regardless of the award inventory. Though my first preference would be to cancel the ticket.
You can cancel the ticket, you just won't any miles back. And, no, award travel inventory still very much required.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by JonNYC
And, no, award travel inventory still very much required.
Particularly because the sked change was only 40-minutes and doesn't result in any missed connection.
Old May 28, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
MIA-MCO schedule change without notice. Common ???

I need some guidance on this problem I have..
I booked a flight via BA.com from GOT-LHR-MIA-MCO.

Original schedule was AA 57 (LHR-MIA) 09:45-14:25
AA 1192 (MIA-MCO)16:50-17:54

Reschedule on without noticed
AA 2487 (MIA-MCO)19:00-20:00

I contacted AA customer service, no help btw, and they stated a schedule change. Hmm ok...why no notice. I guess I had to except it but then I went to EF (expert flyer) and did a dummy booking on AA.bomb. Guess what..My original flight is still there waiting to be booked AND a US 2057 that leaves 5 min earlier.

Before I call back AA, I wanted FTer's feedback.. Can anyone verify that there is a schedule change and the website and EF have not been updated yet.

Thanks for the help..

David
Old May 28, 2014, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you booked the flight via BA, BA is responsible for notifying you, and for rebooking or refund as you wish.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old May 28, 2014, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Looks as though -- depending on day -- there are at least three additional services MIA-MCO in that time period. Why not pick one and call BA. If it's available, this should take no time flat to fix.

Remember, this is ticketed by BA, so AA won't (without needless hassle) touch the ticket.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you booked the flight via BA, BA is responsible for notifying you, and for rebooking or refund as you wish.
EXACTLY. OP, why would you contact AA for anything other than a possible seat assignment? BA is your contact and is the airline that should have notified you of any schedule change.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Often1
Looks as though -- depending on day -- there are at least three additional services MIA-MCO in that time period. Why not pick one and call BA. If it's available, this should take no time flat to fix.

Remember, this is ticketed by BA, so AA won't (without needless hassle) touch the ticket.
Yep, pretty standard practice for the issuing carrier to rebook.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
You don't mention when you are traveling. If it is several months out then it isn't unusual but as previously noted, you need to be dealing w/BA since they booked the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.