Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AA Selling Upgrades Out from Under FFs?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Flights are routinely overbooked because people no-show or misconnect. An AA agent rebooking a passenger on, say, UA can only book to the AC capacity, it can't book beyond what it can hold. So if the plane can hold 50 people, they can book it to 50, while UA can book to, say, 55. Same is probably true of what EF sees. Does that make more sense? (That question was not meant to be snarky, not sure what you meant by booking in less than one bucket.)
EF shows inventories are based upon what AA is willing to sell, including overbooking. Sure, it's not 100 % guaranteed to match AA, but it does most of the time. An exception is that Z, A, U, C and T are subject to expanded available for EXPs and so there may be up to 2 more seats available to EXPs when they call than shown on EF.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I remember being offered $90-150 upgrades at the kisok in 2011 and 2012, so that program has been around for years.
You were offered a load factor-based upgrade in the past. If you paid the price at the kiosk, you would be instantly given the upgrade. The new program involves "plusgrades," where people can bid on an upgrade days before the flight. Bidding on a plusgrade doesn't mean you get the upgrade instantly. AA swears that plusgrades are not processed until all elites on the wait list have cleared.

More info in the original thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-upgrade.html
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
You were offered a load factor-based upgrade in the past. If you paid the price at the kiosk, you would be instantly given the upgrade. The new program involves "plusgrades," where people can bid on an upgrade days before the flight. Bidding on a plusgrade doesn't mean you get the upgrade instantly. AA swears that plusgrades are not processed until all elites on the wait list have cleared.

More info in the original thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-upgrade.html
call me a skeptic (and this was BEFORE the recent aadvantage changes) but i just do not trust that AA has the ability to do this properly. i mean they cant even show us our own accurate accounts or allow agents to see proper inventory i can see on my screen.

so to think they could manage to implement this plusgrade system while still leaving us status folk unharmed is hilarious.

what kills me is it can be a double whammy: as exp i am probably not getting the upgrade because someone bought it (do not believe their "promise") and i'm not even given the OPTION to pay for it!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
... An AA agent rebooking a passenger on, say, UA can only book to the AC capacity, it can't book beyond what it can hold. So if the plane can hold 50 people, they can book it to 50, while UA can book to, say, 55...
No.
The operating carrier determines the "availability". This is the number of seats the operating carrier is still willing to sell. It is not capped at physical capacity (unless the operating carrier wants it to be).

If (as in your example) UA has decided to sell 55 seats on an aircraft that seats 50, and 51 seats have been sold so far, then the AA Agent most likely sees 4 seats avail and can book one of them. The AA Agent is clueless over the fact that the seat they just took is beyond the UA aircraft's capacity (or not).

Where discrepancies set in are the timing of communication between systems. If UA just sold the last 4 seats on their flight themselves, then at the moment AA probably still sees availability as the last time UA sent an update was "x" minutes ago. If the AA Agent then takes one of those "allegedly" available seats, when they "end transaction" then a real-time msg is sent to UA. UA (in this example) would then send back a status of UC (unable to confirm) despite AA's SABRE still showing availability (the response would be HK [hold confirmed] if realtime, UA could honor the AA booking).
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA, UA
If AA wants to give an upgrade to someone willing to pay cash over an elite waiting for a complimentary upgrade, that is fine with me provided that elites are given to same opportunity to pay to upgrade.

Originally Posted by zebranz
When did SMI/J transfer over?
The day AA/US merger closed - 12/9/2013. PAR/D is basically a SMI/J clone.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by wrigleyville
Most recently, I saw the 1 remaining F seat "disappear" from inventory between 2AM (when I checked on ExpertFlyer) and 5AM, when I arrived at the airport. I had bought the ticket and requested the upgrade 11 months in advance, and checked in at the 24-hour mark.
I don't see the conspiracy theory. The computer often does an upgrade run shortly before the list transfers to airport control at T-3. It strikes me as entirely possible that at least one person was ahead of you on the upgrade list, so they got the last seat.

So, I watched the inventory for my return flight. At the 100-hour mark, I was not upgraded, and there were 5 seats open. I called and was told that no inventory was available for SWU or mileage upgrades, only for purchase, so I felt I had a pretty good chance. I checked again at 36 hours out, still 5 seats.
FWIW, I often see mileage upgrade inventory opening up at about 24 hours out, so this would be consistent with your experience too. In fact, I used this today to "jump the queue" on a JFK->SFO flight that I wanted to be sure I got the upgrade on. Sometime between T-30 and T-23, the flight went from J7C0 to J7D7 (but still R0). That's pretty common, in my experience.

(Yes, my upgrade probably would have cleared anyway, but I wanted to make sure I would get seats with my traveling companion and would have had to pay $180 for stickers for her anyway.)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:59 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For the weekends of 3/28-3/31 and 4/4-4/7 I was flying JFK-LAS-JFK [1263 outbound and 44 return]. 4/4 had F7 until about a week before departure; 3/28 had F3; at T-4 both were down to F1--my upg only cleared at the gate.
Similar stats for 44, but my upg cleared before I got to the airport.
Was the "big" decrease over one week from F7 to F1, due to upgs being sold out from elites?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I STAND CORRECTED. I checked with my FIL and he confirmed it was offered at the time of his online check-in, NOT via email. My apologies for the mistake. He did not take the offer, and thinks I am crazy for being willing to pay that for an upgrade. He would have a field day reading through a day's worth of FT posts.
What he was almost definitely offered was the to up-fare his ticket to the cheapest paid F ticket.

Not new, they announced this program last year. But they claim that the inventory will not come at the expense of AAdvantage upgrades for elites.
LFBUs have been around for well over five years now. The only way for a kiosk to offer an LFBU is if all elite upgrade requests have been cleared. A kiosk will otherwise not offer it. They allow non-elites to upgrade at a cost of 50% more than elites - or $45 per sticker.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I have a flight on Saturday morning... I checked 48 hours before departure, I still haven't been upgraded (I'm a PLAT). I checked EF and there's 15 empty seats in F. I know the seat map isn't always a good indicator but I fail to understand why 48 hours out with that many seats open why haven't I been upgraded? Similar thing happened on a flight last week to me, too, but I ended up getting the upgrade about three hours before the flight.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by nrr
For the weekends of 3/28-3/31 and 4/4-4/7 I was flying JFK-LAS-JFK [1263 outbound and 44 return]. 4/4 had F7 until about a week before departure; 3/28 had F3; at T-4 both were down to F1--my upg only cleared at the gate.
Similar stats for 44, but my upg cleared before I got to the airport.
Was the "big" decrease over one week from F7 to F1, due to upgs being sold out from elites?
Unlikely IMO. Much more likely to be a bunch of last minute bookings, changes plus people redeeming the 15k miles +75 dollars, which on a route like this is a no brainer IMO. If you think about it AA has in a sense been selling upgrades from under elites for years by offering any F seat in A inventory for basically peanuts when it is a 2 class transcon. The price of F on a RT transcon is O fare + 150 + 15k miles

Originally Posted by LucWise
I have a flight on Saturday morning... I checked 48 hours before departure, I still haven't been upgraded (I'm a PLAT). I checked EF and there's 15 empty seats in F. I know the seat map isn't always a good indicator but I fail to understand why 48 hours out with that many seats open why haven't I been upgraded? Similar thing happened on a flight last week to me, too, but I ended up getting the upgrade about three hours before the flight.
I've had similar experiences, varied in fact. Flights where I clearly felt I was going to get the upgrade have cleared at 100, others not 'til T-24. The flippant answer is we're not getting upgrades because they aren't releasing the inventory I do see reasons for holding up inventory: my 5:55am SFO-DFW always clears at the window if there are seats, but a middle of the day DFW-SFO needs to support WX, misconnects of a various nature, even F standbys. They may just not want to fill that cabin up too early. I could see someone thinking that.

Last edited by MarkedMan; Apr 17, 2014 at 11:35 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I love it when Kettles snatch the last F seat under the nose of over-entitled elites
Elites should know by now that "loyalty" is a hollow word. Especially after the gutting of most mileage programs.
When are elites going to learn that from a financial point of view, it makes more sense to buy the cheapest fare with the best schedule across all airlines and jump at the low upgrade fee at check-in, then playing the "I might get upgraded" waiting game?
I was totally willing to snatch A1 (on EF) as a miles & copay upgrade on a transcon last Friday after I learned that I was only fourth on the upgrade list. No chance to upgrade with stickers as usual. However, all of them, the check-in counter, the Admirals Club, and the gate agent told me that nothing was available. There are still forces that prevent the lower elites from snatching upgrades from the top elites.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by steve64
The operating carrier determines the "availability."
Yes, they determine the availability that AA can see.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PltMM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by relangford
Doesn't seem to be working. How about AA offering paid upgrades to elites on waiting lists before offering to the herd? They would make the same added revenue and, more or less, keep elites less upset.
That would be my preference. While I would hope for the free upgrade - or even use stickers - ultimately, I would like ROFR on paying for an upgrade before non-elites. Especially on vacation travel.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Then my father-in-law, who doesn't even have an AAdvnatge account, but is traveling on my flight tomorrow, received an email offering an upgrade from his discount fare to FC for $129. i checked seats 6 hours later (20 hours out) and all 5 seats are gone. FC is full. so much for the upgrade sales not stealing inventory from e-upgrades.
I'm going to ask, since you didn't state this previously in your post. You did request the upgrade, right?

There is also the possibility that someone in a F inventory moved to the earlier flight, that someone ahead of you cleared into that 1 seat (more than one EXP on a flight, what are the odds?), etc. Let's not jump straight to assumptions.
Another scenario is that someone perhaps was wait listed for mileage/SWU upgrade and nabbed it through reservations if the flight started showing A1? Or would the TA at the airport have seen/mentioned that?

The other thing worth noting is that the offer to the F-I-L could have been an up-sell, not LFBU. If $45/500mi is the typical price, $129 doesn't make much sense. However, looking at a random date in May, the difference between the lowest o/w in Y and F is $142. If that pricing differential still held day-of (OK, this is a few bucks off, but ticket prices fluctuate), then this is quite different from the LFBU scenario. This is just giving people one more chance to buy up to F, at a non-discounted price.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Pricing differential between last minute F and Y is minimal

I generally have two kinds of work trips:

- Conferences (booked 6 weeks to 5 months in advance)
- Sales Meetings (booked 3 days to 2 months in advance)

While I am booking the latter, I often see that the price difference between Y and F is quite low. For example, I have a booking next week for West Coast - ORD on a dinner flight. The OW J - Y fare difference is $148. I have a "must buy lowest fare except if it is Spirit" policy at work and can't justify spending the $148 out of pocket but I'm sure many employers allow it, many employees are shady, and many leisure travelers will pay out of pocket. There go sticker upgrades.

I do a decent amount of ORD - West Coast travel and find myself somewhere between 1 - 5 on the UG list every time even when seatmaps will have 10-12/16 F seats available at T-7. The joys of living at a hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.