First Time on AA in Intl F- LAX [and AS connections]

Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
First Time on AA in Intl F- LAX [and AS connections]

I snagged a deeply discounted J ticket out of LAX-JFK-EZE with the same return. Then got an eVIP to UG to F. This will be my first time flying on AA in F internationally, and my first time on AA in probably almost 10 years.

I will be flying in from SEA because the deeply discounted ticket was only out of LAX. I am arriving into LAX on AS. Do I have to go outside security to check in at AA counter in the different terminal? Is there a shuttle that connects the terminals airside, or a way to walk between terminals airside so I don't have to go through security again? I have no luggage to check. I only gave myself around 2.5 hours on the outbound, and 2 hours on the return which probably wasn't the best plan, but too late now.

I've heard good things about these Flagship lounges/services for Intl F pax on AA. Though I don't know any details about them. I'm sure they are worth checking out, but is there anything specifically to look forward to that a first-timer wouldn't know about in them at LAX and JFK? Any feedback about the "Flagship" Lounge and services would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any feedback guys!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Congrats! Hope you enjoy the experience.

AS arrives in Terminal 6. From there, you'll want to collect your luggage (if any) and catch the interterminal shuttle (which is landside). Or you can do a fairly easy walk to T4: simply turn left once you have arrived at the curb and you'll go past T5 to T4. If you're walking, the Flagship Check-In will be the very first door on your left at T4. If you take the shuttle (heading the opposite direction), it will be the very last door as you pass T4.

I have yet to experience the LAX FL, but I've been told it's quite nice. Self-pour liquor and decent buffet. Simply head into the Admirals Club and the agent will direct you.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
No. Don't leave the terminal. Just go to the inter-terminal shuttle door, which is next to gate 65A, and take the shuttle to Terminal 4, which runs very frequently. No need to go outside security.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
This post includes a photo that will help you to find the airside shuttle:

LAX airside shuttle AA T4-T6 inc Eagle 2012-consolidated
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax

AS arrives in Terminal 6. From there, you'll want to collect your luggage (if any) and catch the interterminal shuttle (which is landside).
OP will not check luggage, but if OP would, AS and AA have an interline agreement so OP should be able to check in luggage in SEA all the way through to Buenos Aires.

I have no experience with the LAX Flagship lounge, but in ORD it is less than spectacular. The self pouring alcohol is nice, but the premium bar in the Admiral's Club is better and you get (a) drink voucher(s) - much depends on the lounge AAgent and the quality of your friendly smile.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have the same trip coming up in May with the same great business fare. My upgrades for LAX-JFK and return have cleared.

The flagship lounge is ok. The views are better from the AAdmirals club but only low quality free booze there. The food and booze selection are about the same as JFK (not bad, not great). There are some free foods put out at various times during the day.

The T6-T4 shuttle does not run as frequently as the T4-Eagles nest shuttle. I want to say every 20-30 minutes (someone please correct me if I'm remembering this wrong).

Walking from T6 to T4 would not be bad and you would be able to use the flagship check in at T4 as a result of flying in F.

If you are on the 32B (321T) from LAX to JFK you should try out the coffee from the expresso machine available in first class.

Last edited by catmndu; Mar 16, 2014 at 1:49 pm Reason: info about coffee
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I've heard good things about these Flagship lounges/services for Intl F pax on AA. Though I don't know any details about them. I'm sure they are worth checking out, but is there anything specifically to look forward to that a first-timer wouldn't know about in them at LAX and JFK? Any feedback about the "Flagship" Lounge and services would be much appreciated.
The Flagship lounges are fairly straightforward. The main distinction from a normal Admirals Club is a self-serve bar and a wider variety of complimentary food. The Flagship lounge at JFK is connected to the "international" Admirals Club, not the "domestic" club on the remote pier.

I've visited both and have photos online for New York JFK and Los Angeles.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
I can't find it at the moment, but I've got a picture somewhere of the bar in the FL at LAX. I remember the selection being pretty good (e.g. Maker's Mark 46), and I enjoy making my own drinks.

The overall lounge is shared with Quantas, so I always like to pick up a copy of The Australian or the Sydney Morning Herald for fun.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
The Flagship Lounges are on par with decent business class lounges on non-US airlines. The ORD FL is indeed quite cramped, but the LAX and JFK clubs are much bigger.

Your return port of entry will be JFK. IME the AA staff there is pretty good at rushing you through if your connection is tight. 2 hours probably won't be considered tight unless EZE-JFK is late. If you're not checking luggage you should have no problem. Waiting for checked luggage is usually the bottleneck when arriving on AA, especially now that I have Global Entry.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stripe
Your return port of entry will be JFK. IME the AA staff there is pretty good at rushing you through if your connection is tight. 2 hours probably won't be considered tight unless EZE-JFK is late. If you're not checking luggage you should have no problem. Waiting for checked luggage is usually the bottleneck when arriving on AA, especially now that I have Global Entry.
I meant in LAX to catch my AS flights I have to check-in for.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
The LAX flagship lounge is nice for a lounge in the US but really nothing compared to even better international J lounges like BA, CX, VS.

You may wish to try flagship checkin at T4, it feels a little like you are A-list (even if you might not be )
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I would not go landside at LAX for the sole purpose of experiencing the flagship checkin.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I meant in LAX to catch my AS flights I have to check-in for.
If you won't have checked bags, just check in online and print off your boarding pass - then you won't lose time at LAX
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Would AA issue boarding passes in SEA for my flight out of LAX? Alternatively since I am not checking bags, can I do online check-in for international travel?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.