Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

BA F LHR-DME available but unavailable because AA thinks it doesn't exist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

aa.com is showing plenty of award availability LHR-DME in Y and C. Expertflyer is also showing availability in F, but aa.com pretends it does not exist. The ExPlat desk says it's "not available". It seems to me that they most likely explanation is that, because F doesn't exist on any other OW intra-european flight, the award chart is showing NA, and they've not bothered to change the map now that the terrain has changed (e g BA offering it on this one route). This really is one BA route I'd be keen to redeem my miles for (especially as they're serving caviar!). Is there any hope of AA ever changing their redemption chart to reflect reality, or is the issue that it suits them and/or BA not to offer F redemptions on this particular route?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, HH GLD, MR PLT, Hertz 5*
I am not sure if F is always offered on this route. I know its a 2x daily with one 767 and one 744, but I think I read on the BA thread the 744 may be seasonal. I also think there may be fair amount of aircraft swap on this route as well.

I am not sure if they will change it because of this one route, but you can always try to call back in and see if another agent will help let you book.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: AA PLT
You can book in F, just not if you only want to fly within Europe. I just tested a booking from LAX-DME, and it's offering me F (Z) on the LHR-DME flight (BA233 on 11/6)

Someone needs to contact AA and get them to add this to their award chart!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Perhaps it really is that simple! Will have a go and report back.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:10 am
Original Poster

So I have my response, which goes: "We appreciate that you took the time to send us your suggestions regarding mileage travel on our oneworld partner. The concerns you expressed will be reviewed by our management personnel responsible for our oneworld agreements." With United, that would translate into "Thank you for your e-mail, which I'm forwarded to the Trash can. Have a nice day!". But I've never felt the need to contact AA CS before so for all I know, they may actually mean what they say. I certainly hope so!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
They used to not allow LHR-DXB awards on QF because "QF doesn't fly that".
They did eventually fix it...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DWFI
They used to not allow LHR-DXB awards on QF because "QF doesn't fly that".
They did eventually fix it...
The difference here is that the AA award chart explicitly states 1st class as NA and does not offer a price for it. Would seem to be in same bucket as trying to book Premium Economy
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ddistler
I am not sure if F is always offered on this route.
It's not, but should still be available when it is.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:53 pm

Is this the only intra-Europe flight with F? And it's seasonal? If so, I find it difficult to believe that they will adjust the chart just for this one flight.

It's like Dave Noble said. AA doesn't have a redemption option for Premium Economy, and that's available to lots of places.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

I don't know that it's seasonal - AFAIK, BA has caught on to the fact that this is a route with a solid demand for a F product. I also don't know that it would cause AA any detriment to simply decide on a mileage level and update its charts. By way of comparison, UA still has intra-european First in its chart even though, to the best of my knowledge, it only still exists on SQ MAN-MUC and they don't ever offer it up for reward bookings even though the planes fly half empty.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I don't know that it's seasonal - AFAIK, BA has caught on to the fact that this is a route with a solid demand for a F product. I also don't know that it would cause AA any detriment to simply decide on a mileage level and update its charts. By way of comparison, UA still has intra-european First in its chart even though, to the best of my knowledge, it only still exists on SQ MAN-MUC and they don't ever offer it up for reward bookings even though the planes fly half empty.
AA could add it , just like it could add Premium Economy to the table. I wouldn't be holding my breath of it happening though
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA could add it , just like it could add Premium Economy to the table. I wouldn't be holding my breath of it happening though
Me neither. Although I do think PE redemptions is simply too hot a potato for airlines to touch, except on their own metal. The products are simply too different and inconsistent on different carriers (and what about MCE?). Thus, although BA offers WTP as a redemption class, I don't believe they offer PE redemption on CX. As tuktuktrain has pointed out, the LHR-DME flights can actually be redeemed in F today as part of an intercontinental itinerary - ironically, without AA getting a single extra mile off their books than they would have for a redemption terminating at LHR. But no, I ain't waiting up nights for this to be made available - although it would be a great redemption opportunity!

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Nov 6, 2013 at 4:30 am
Old Nov 6, 2013, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Me neither. Although I do think PE redemptions is simply too hot a potato for airlines to touch, except on their own metal. The products are simply too different and inconsistent on different carriers (and what about MCE?). Thus, although BA offers WTP as a redemption class, I don't believe they offer PE redemption on CP. As tuktuktrain has pointed out, the LHR-DME flights can actually be redeemed in F today as part of an intercontinental itinerary - ironically, without AA getting a single extra mile off their books than they would have for a redemption terminating at LHR. But no, I ain't waiting up nights for this to be made available - although it would be a great redemption opportunity!
Not an issue at all. Qantas and BA have no issues with PE redemptions on other carriers for example. Things like MCE do not book into a different redemption class unlike a proper premium economy offering

If at some point in the future AA chooses to offer intra EU 1st award then it will be bookable same as how if AA chooses to offer a PE award in the future that will be bookable

Dave
Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If at some point in the future AA chooses to offer intra EU 1st award then it will be bookable same as how if AA chooses to offer a PE award in the future that will be bookable
No kidding?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.