Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-HND to End: Out 29 Nov, Return 1 Dec 2013

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:04 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Mine is a revenue ticket, and yes for travel on one of the busiest travel days.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:59 am

Has anyone had their reservation changed yet? It seems AA announced the cancellation but is keeping everyone's booking as is and AA.com is still offering tickets on my flights (HND-JFK-ANU early January) in full fare Y and as an AAnytime award.

Anyone have an idea of how long it usually takes AA to actually remove a flight from the schedules and rebook passengers?
(AA reservations won't allow me to rebook until the flight is out of the system as there is no award availability on any relevant flight out of Tokyo the day I'm scheduled to fly)

Last edited by claurianta2; Oct 19, 2013 at 3:08 am
Old Oct 19, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by claurianta2
Anyone have an idea of how long it usually takes AA to actually remove a flight from the schedules...
It may be a few days before your flights are zeroed out. They will be unlikely to do anything for you until then. AA's notifications may take weeks - lots of people may not see a notifcation more than 30 days before first flight. AA is responsible for notification and rebooking only for the tickets it sold directly, not those sold through other channels. Rebookings will be spread over weeks.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Might AA be able to rebook some affected passengers on the JL NRT-JFK?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It may be a few days before your flights are zeroed out. They will be unlikely to do anything for you until then. AA's notifications may take weeks - lots of people may not see a notifcation more than 30 days before first flight. AA is responsible for notification and rebooking only for the tickets it sold directly, not those sold through other channels. Rebookings will be spread over weeks.
Thanks for the info. Any idea how they rebook award tickets when there is no award availability on any other flights for days? Also, I'm flying the weekend after New Year's TYO-ANU, so there might actually be totally sold out flights if they only book one month prior to original departure.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Any idea how they rebook award tickets when there is no award availability on any other flights for days?
AA will create award inventory on its own flights that have inventory for sale, offer nearby origins or destinations, change travel dates, access partner award inventory, or offer a refund.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by sky303
DL was forced to re-apply to get the SEA slot, and DL won out, not based on capacity against UA. And DL is making HND work and has the aircraft necessary to cater the market properly. Overestimating the market was bad, but they are finally making it work, and we could see that capacity increased with new, convenient flight times.
Delta won the LAX-HND route over AA for no reason other than capacity. Of course, once awarded the route, DL downgauged the equipment to what was proposed by AA in its failed application. AA had and still has the equipment to properly cater to the LAX-HND market.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by CX828
Might AA be able to rebook some affected passengers on the JL NRT-JFK?
Twitter team suggested that probably not, phone AAgent thought it was a possibility.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:24 pm

So I called in and the best they could give me is NRT-ORD(overnight)-MIA-ANU all on AA metal. They also refused to open up any window or aisle seat to accommodate me (plenty available but only for higher fare paying passengers/elites, including many that are not categorized as preferred). At first they tried to claim 43D on the 772 is an aisle seat as there is no 43E next to it... I had 3 different agents tell me this until I got a supervisor to look up the seat diagram on their website... so something funny in their computer systems for sure.

Last edited by claurianta2; Oct 26, 2013 at 8:35 am
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Well, after the JFK-HND-JFK flights disappeared from my itinerary I figured it was time to call and check the offered options. I had an absolutely wonderful EXP agent answer my call and a smooth rebooking experience (JFK-NRT-SIN-NRT-JFK). The bottom line was the upgrades were protected, but only on JL. CX not an option, which would have worked better, but I am not complaining. In fact, very happy. Good luck to all.

Safe Travels
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Well this botches my New Years Eve trip. No other good options out of JFK. Could fly out of PHL, but now we're talking a 7AM flight after Christmas instead of a 6pm nonstop.

I think we're just canceling. Hilton points are now severely devalued (we are at the Conrad), but at least we'd get them back.

Update:

Gold desk was very nice and sympathetic but wouldn't do anything.

1). They were shocked our dates were not flexible this close to travel. We have jobs and a booked hotel...I mean come on, not many people can be that flexible around the holidays.
2). Could get us LGA/PHL-ORD-NRT on Japan in business. (We were booked in F).
3). Could not get us home on 1/2. At all.
4). They had AAnytime AAdvantage seats open, but no saver. They would not do anything for us other than what is open in 'saver' class today. Even though we booked in February when EVERYTHING was wide open. They should have allowed us to fill in the AAnytime seats as this is an extenuating circumstance brought on by their last minute cancellation.
5). Rep offered to keep the original reservation and told me to "call everyday" as "something may open." I am sorry but that is ludicrous. I want to know whether we have seats or not.

The gold desk was nice but really would not do anything for us at all. Two golds who burned 250,000 miles to go to Tokyo in First, now we're not going anywhere and we obviously can't go anywhere on miles this last minute. We'll be writing a letter as we are extremely disappointing. Even UA handles this much better...

Last edited by airb330; Oct 29, 2013 at 3:37 pm Reason: called the gold desk
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by airb330
Well this botches my New Years Eve trip. No other good options out of JFK. Could fly out of PHL, but now we're talking a 7AM flight after Christmas instead of a 6pm nonstop.

I think we're just canceling. Hilton points are now severely devalued (we are at the Conrad), but at least we'd get them back.

Update:

Gold desk was very nice and sympathetic but wouldn't do anything.

1). They were shocked our dates were not flexible this close to travel. We have jobs and a booked hotel...I mean come on, not many people can be that flexible around the holidays.
2). Could get us LGA/PHL-ORD-NRT on Japan in business. (We were booked in F).
3). Could not get us home on 1/2. At all.
4). They had AAnytime AAdvantage seats open, but no saver. They would not do anything for us other than what is open in 'saver' class today. Even though we booked in February when EVERYTHING was wide open. They should have allowed us to fill in the AAnytime seats as this is an extenuating circumstance brought on by their last minute cancellation.
5). Rep offered to keep the original reservation and told me to "call everyday" as "something may open." I am sorry but that is ludicrous. I want to know whether we have seats or not.

The gold desk was nice but really would not do anything for us at all. Two golds who burned 250,000 miles to go to Tokyo in First, now we're not going anywhere and we obviously can't go anywhere on miles this last minute. We'll be writing a letter as we are extremely disappointing. Even UA handles this much better...
Wow, that's pretty bad. I don't have any status and on the first call they opened up saver economy availability on the AA flights I asked them to give me (NRT-ORD(overnight)-MIA-ANU) on January 3. They said I could use partners but only if saver was available (it wasn't) and I had to leave Tokyo the same day I was originally booked, but opening saver seats in economy on AA metal was no problem as long as they had AAnytime seats available.

I was originally booked with a saver economy award HND-JFK-ANU.

I suggest you call back. Talk to a supervisor if they refuse to open up award space. If that doesn't help, contact customer relations through http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...tomerRelations - for me reservations had originally said there was no way I could get a window seat as all the ones left were reserved for full-fare/elite etc. I wrote a complaint through that page a few days ago that the least they could do is give me a window seat in the circumstances, and though I didn't get a reply (yet at least), as of today my reservation now shows me in a window seat.

Last edited by claurianta2; Oct 29, 2013 at 4:28 pm
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:24 pm

Wow, that's pretty bad. I don't have any status and on the first call they opened up saver economy availability on the AA flights I asked them to give me (NRT-ORD(overnight)-MIA-ANU) on January 3. They said I could use partners but only if saver was available (it wasn't) and I had to leave Tokyo the same day I was originally booked, but opening saver seats in economy on AA metal was no problem as long as they had AAnytime seats available.

I was originally booked with a saver economy award HND-JFK-ANU.

I suggest you call back.
They wouldn't open up AAnytime even though there was plenty of AAnytime F from Philly on my dates. They canceled the tickets. I'm in Hawaii on vacation...it's sorta ruined my mood today unfortunately. Since they canceled the tickets there's probably no recourse now. Since I'm on vacation I didn't want to leave this ordeal open ended all week to just upset me more. Only upside is now I have 250K miles and my hubby has 125K. Just trying to see some upside...it'll be better once I have a Mai tai!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by airb330
They wouldn't open up AAnytime even though there was plenty of AAnytime F from Philly on my dates. They canceled the tickets. I'm in Hawaii on vacation...it's sorta ruined my mood today unfortunately. Since they canceled the tickets there's probably no recourse now. Since I'm on vacation I didn't want to leave this ordeal open ended all week to just upset me more. Only upside is now I have 250K miles and my hubby has 125K. Just trying to see some upside...it'll be better once I have a Mai tai!
Jab the AA twitter team. They can't rebook, but they'll bump complaints/issues up.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
Jab the AA twitter team. They can't rebook, but they'll bump complaints/issues up.
Sigh...not helpful (yet). Thanks for all the suggestions though. I didn't have a Mai tai in Lahaina, but I'm less upset than I was at least.

https://twitter.com/americanair/stat...36413014917120

Update: They offered JFK-LAX-NRT and the same on the return...problem is a LOOOONG layover in LAX. 30+ hour travel time isn't the same as a 14 hour nonstop.

I've repeatedly said the best that works for us is PHL-ORD-NRT which is open as an AAnytime award. We can leave JFK at 5PM, but not at 7AM since we're from Philly and it is the day after Christmas. 7AM from Philly sucks, but it is doable at least. Sheesh...we didn't ask for the flights to be canceled, AA really should work with us.

Lga-dfw-NRT-dfw-NRT

We're making progress. They're working on PHL as I type. And again sorry for grammar or typos as I'm on my iphone. @least I'm doing this at my hotel in the sun versus at home in overcast and chilly Philly right?!

Last edited by airb330; Oct 29, 2013 at 8:19 pm Reason: Twitter response

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.