Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Seat assignment on AA codeshare on RJ / Royal Jordanian, related issues (+ tips)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat assignment on AA codeshare on RJ / Royal Jordanian, related issues (+ tips)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Great tips, Indelaware! Would confirming using VOIP to Amman work?

Originally Posted by Indelaware
...Be sure to phone RJ 24 hours before flight to reconfirm. Be prepared to be on hold up to an hour or so... yes, I don't jest. Failure to do so will result in cancellation without DB if the flight oversells and reaccomodation only as standby. Do this on the return too. Reconfirming with AA won't do the trick.

NYC : 212-949-0050
AMM: 6 5100000

In Amman you won't have to wait on the phone long. ....
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Great tips, Indelaware! Would confirming using VOIP to Amman work?
No. You must re-confirm in country of departure.

And as an asside: I once tried to buy a ticket for BGW-AMM from the US to be issued at BGW under PTA. I gave up calling NYC, so I called RJ in Amman. They told me to call NYC. I couldn't get through and finally visited their "North American Reservations Center" in NYC. Found it staffed, at the time, by one person. I tried to arrange the PTA and was told, "no you need to have it issued in AMM or BGW only. Every time I do them, the paper work gets lost before it gets to BGW." And the paperwork was only an electronic entry in the PNR. I found a travel agent in AMM who took care of it for me.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Thanks for the heads up on reconfirming. Will take to heart. Called RJ NY# often at this point just to see if something shakes up and my seating got assigned. Not for the JFK-AMM, return portions. Every other call they say that AA has not sent the internal AMM-SSH, and CAI-AMM details and there could be a problem. Other times they have said no problem and actually given me seats on these flights which show up on the AA itinerary. Ah well I am off to the airport 3 hours early just in case. Very bothersome the back and forth assignment of responsibility between RJ and AA in this case. Lets hope the flight is at least good. I believe my AMM-SSH flight is from the new terminal. Should be interesting to see.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for clarifying that. What a cluster........ Sounds much like "insha'Allah, it will happen" .

No. You must re-confirm in country of departure.

And as an asside: I once tried to buy a ticket for BGW-AMM from the US to be issued at BGW under PTA. I gave up calling NYC, so I called RJ in Amman. They told me to call NYC. I couldn't get through and finally visited their "North American Reservations Center" in NYC. Found it staffed, at the time, by one person. I tried to arrange the PTA and was told, "no you need to have it issued in AMM or BGW only. Every time I do them, the paper work gets lost before it gets to BGW." And the paperwork was only an electronic entry in the PNR. I found a travel agent in AMM who took care of it for me.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
18 months ago I had 4 RJ sectors on a J Aaward.Couldn't get seat assignments but ended up in Row 1 on each sector.Stopped worrying after flight 2.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks for clarifying that. What a cluster........ Sounds much like "insha'Allah, it will happen" .
All this asside, RJ has come along way since it joined Oneworld. Since they have joined, I have found aircraft clean and maintained. Only a year of so before, I experienced one with a toliet which literally had the bowl held together duct tape, blue stuff oozing from the seams as well as an aircraft with multiple overhead doors without latches. (Its not good to be sitting under them). Also, I have seen more Jordanian cabin crews - who seem more pleasant than the Russian/Ukranian ones they also have had.

Yes, insha'Allah. If god wills it. But, it is best to remember the last line of Voltaire's Candide: "All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." A higher power may will things, but it helps when people are also of the mind to get things done (right).

Still even at RJ's worse (which I haven't seen for a while) they are better, IMHO, than MS at their best.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RJ transferred its PSS to Amadeus' Altéa on 23 October 2010, so it's weird that they would have "problems" with pre reserved seating after that day. Altéa is very robust and broadly implemented, including CX, IB, etc.

Their previous system (Gabriel-SITA) was probably not up to par.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reconfirmations on RJ

Be sure to phone RJ 24 hours before flight to reconfirm. Be prepared to be on hold up to an hour or so... yes, I don't jest. Failure to do so will result in cancellation without DB if the flight oversells and reaccomodation only as standby. Do this on the return too.
This doesn't appear to be the case unless they proactively advise you of the requirement. From Article 5 of their Conditions of Carriage:

6. Reconfirmation of reservations
  1. With limited exceptions, it is not necessary for you to reconfirm onward or return reservations before flying. If we do require you to reconfirm your reservation before a flight, we or our Authorised Agent will advise you when, how and where it should be done.
  2. If you fail to reconfirm a reservation for any flight where we have told you that reconfirmation is necessary, we may cancel all of your onward or return reservations. No refund of the fare paid will be available in respect of such cancelled reservation unless permitted by the conditions applicable to your Ticket.
  3. If, after we have cancelled your reservation because of your failure to reconfirm your reservation, where we have informed you that reconfirmation is necessary, we may reinstate your reservation at your request and carry you if there is space on the flight to which your cancelled reservation relates. If there is no space available on the flight, we will use reasonable efforts to try to carry you on another of our flights to your next or final destination, but we are not obliged to do so.
  4. You should check the reconfirmation requirements of any other airlines involved in your carriage with them and, where necessary, reconfirm with the airline whose Airline Designator Code is entered in the Ticket for the flight in question. We will have no liability to you if another airline cancels one or more reservations because you failed to reconfirm that reservation where you were required to do so. Your right to onward travel or a refund will be governed by the conditions of carriage of the other airline.
So if you do not reconfirm and they cancel you, they owe you denied boarding compensation unless they can prove that "we [RJ] or our Authorised Agent will advise you when, how and where it [reconfirmation] should be done".

Having said this, it may still be a good thing to do in practice.

Last edited by hillrider; Mar 16, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.