Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on baggage within the USA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K, DL - Platinum Medallion, QF - LTS, Hilton - Diamond, Bonvoy - Gold, IHG - Gold
Carry-on baggage within the USA

Hi Everyone,

My partner and I have a few AA sectors coming up this year (ticketed in F), and I just wanted to check the carry-on baggage situation. We both travel with a medium sized backpack/gym bag style carry-on, but as we're going to be attending a wedding later in this trip we'll also have 1 x suitbag with our suits in it. Will there be any issue taking this through security and taking it onboard AA flights?

Of course I want to check now, in case I have to "add" the suitbag to my checked luggage when transferring from QF to AA at LAX.

All advise appreciated.

PS - I also noticed that there is a 23kg limit per bag for First customers. Since when was this the case? Last time we flew AA F it was 32kg, either that or thy didn't care. Are they likely to care now for a OWE travelling on an F ticket?

Cheers
Oz
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:22 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
You should be fine, assuming your backpack counts as a personal item

"includes: purse, briefcase, laptop bag OR a similar item such as a tote that does not exceed 36 inches( length+width+height) and must fit under the seat in front of you"

Even if it doesn't, in F they usually don't make a fuss. And I believe you are able to check 3 bags up to 70lb each, not 50.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by ozvirginuk
My partner and I have a few AA sectors coming up this year (ticketed in F), and I just wanted to check the carry-on baggage situation. We both travel with a medium sized backpack/gym bag style carry-on, but as we're going to be attending a wedding later in this trip we'll also have 1 x suitbag with our suits in it. Will there be any issue taking this through security and taking it onboard AA flights?
Airlines in the US seem to care rather haphazardly about bag dimensions. If you're in F, the FAs will likely hang your suitbag for you (be polite if you want the bag hanged, be rude if you want a story to tell on FT).
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PLAT
agreed. usually in F, they are fairly kind to carry on even if they are of marginal dimension. Its the airprot you have to worry about.

I have had the same bag not allowed, allowed and questioned on the same trip at multiple airports. I have had the same container of toiletry allowed in carry on, or forced to throw away not only in diff airports, but in the same airport by different TSA agents.

so basically, If you get by TSA, traveling in F, you should be fine.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:48 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by AZbba
And I believe you are able to check 3 bags up to 70lb each, not 50.
The per bag weight limit for flights within North America is 50 lbs. I believe that the 70 lbs allowance applies only for flights to and from Brazil (link - select view all itineraries tab).

AA's Conditions of Carriage state that: "A garment bag (which fits in the bag sizer) will count as the passenger's carry-on bag."

Carry-On Allowance policy is described here. It is the same for first, business and coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.