Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Didn't get points/miles...does this make sense?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Marriott
Didn't get points/miles...does this make sense?

I used my AA number.

I booked via BA (ba.com)

I had a connection from LHR to DUB on Aer Lingus metal.

I received miles for IAD to LHR on BA metal on my AA account, and also LHR back to IAD. However, the inbound and outbound from LHR to DUB on Aer Lingus metal...I didn't get any miles.

Is this how it works/is this supposed to happen?

Also, I wasn't able to use the lounge from LHR to DUB too since my flight was on Aer Lingus...

Everything was booked through BA's website though...
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aer Lingus is no longer part of Oneworld; were the EI flights sold as AA or BA codeshares? If not, then I don't see the issue.

Edit: Here is the Avios earnings page for EI: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Yes it was BA codeshare I believe. The overall trip was IAD to DUB, BA put me on a connection from LHR to DUB...so it was part of my BA itinerary...which is why I'm not sure if I should be earning miles...BA flight number, but Aer LIngus metal..
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe that BA codeshares on EI metal are eligible for AAdvantage mile accrual, although they would be eligible for Avios:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...es/british.jsp

Earn AA miles on BA flights (operated and marketed by BA) plus BA codeshares on other OW member flights. No mention of BA codeshares on EI.

AA and BA have an alliance, and a joint business agreement, but it's far from seamless. Shoot.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That makes eminent sense - in general one will not earn AAdvantage miles or points on oneworld codeshares operated by non-oneworld airlines.

And to have been granted lounge access, you would have to be continuing on on a oneworld flight.

Originally Posted by pritomd
I used my AA number.

I booked via BA (ba.com)

I had a connection from LHR to DUB on Aer Lingus metal.

I received miles for IAD to LHR on BA metal on my AA account, and also LHR back to IAD. However, the inbound and outbound from LHR to DUB on Aer Lingus metal...I didn't get any miles.

Is this how it works/is this supposed to happen?

Also, I wasn't able to use the lounge from LHR to DUB too since my flight was on Aer Lingus...

Everything was booked through BA's website though...
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Aw shucks. BA had an option for all BA metal too! Should have taken it. I guess I was hoping for too much...two degrees of separation of partnerships to gain AA miles :P
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:47 pm

Yep; they're not even kissing cousins in this situation.

Then again, that's exactly why there is a FlyerTalk - I will bet a number of us lost miles because of a low fare, an ineligible codeshare, etc. (I know I have in the past) until we came hear to learn, and more effectively earn and burn.

Aw shucks. BA had an option for all BA metal too! Should have taken it. I guess I was hoping for too much...two degrees of separation of partnerships to gain AA miles :P
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I'm in an EXP match (from UA 1k) and need 25,000 POINTS. I booked ICN-HKG-LHR-DUB/DUB-LHR-ICN in Business through AA (all on BA flight numbers) to maximize points, then found that CX (ICR-HKG) doesn't count, nor the LHR-DUB R/T (due to EI). With other flights, I'll make the 90-day window for 25,000 points, but just barely. Wish I had known about EI earlier as I could have been on BA metal to/from Ireland.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:20 pm

If you booked CX as a BA flight number, shouldn't it count? EI definitely would not, but CX is a oneworld airline.

Originally Posted by relangford
I'm in an EXP match (from UA 1k) and need 25,000 POINTS. I booked ICN-HKG-LHR-DUB/DUB-LHR-ICN in Business through AA (all on BA flight numbers) to maximize points, then found that CX (ICR-HKG) doesn't count, nor the LHR-DUB R/T (due to EI). With other flights, I'll make the 90-day window for 25,000 points, but just barely. Wish I had known about EI earlier as I could have been on BA metal to/from Ireland.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I'll get the miles, but not the points (it's in the fine print of the match); this defeats the purpose of getting points.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:22 pm

S/he'll earn the points for normal AAdvantage status purposes, but they apparently won't qualify for the points required for the required by the terms and conditions of the status match.

Originally Posted by relangford
I'll get the miles, but not the points (it's in the fine print of the match); this defeats the purpose of getting points.
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
It should. I've received miles for an IB flight with a BA codeshare.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:51 pm

JDiver is correct: this is from my e-mail granting the status match:

* Travel on eligible airlines includes American Airlines, American
Eagle, the AmericanConnection® carrier, British Airways, Iberia, Japan
Airlines, and Qantas flights, as well as eligible codeshare flights.
Bonus elite-qualifying points do not count toward your qualification for
this offer. You must re-qualify for AAdvantage elite status membership
annually.

It's the "eligible codeshare flights" part; AA told me that Aer Lingus isn't O/W, so the BA codeshare isn't eligible for the AA EXP match.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:48 am
Original Poster

So elite points/miles aside...I'm gonna be grasping for straws for this one:

Should the EI legs from LHR to DUB and back to LHR with a BA codeshare but EI metal...should those count for MM miles?

The only reason why I'm bringing this up is because with JetBlue, a non-OW airline, I got MM credit and reward credit, but no elite credit.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should the EI legs from LHR to DUB and back to LHR with a BA codeshare but EI metal...should those count for MM miles?

The only reason why I'm bringing this up is because with JetBlue, a non-OW airline, I got MM credit and reward credit, but no elite credit.
EI metal earns no AAdvantage miles whatsoever, unless the flight is an AA codeshare. Period.

EI metal with BA codeshare is eligible for Avios.

AA and jetBlue have a mileage agreement, and thus, AA miles can be earned on B6 flights. AA and EI have no agreement.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:07 am

In a word, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.