Wiki Posts
Search

Phone fee when you can't book online?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This complaint comes up all the time.

Yes, it is silly that AA charges this fee for awards you can't book online. No, they won't waive it just because you tell them you can't book it online.

If you want to book an award involving partners other than AS and aren't an EXP, it's one of those things you have to live with.
Agreed. This fee is not new and it is well-disclosed. It is what it is.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Unhappy A little peeved about the "over the phone" booking charge

I am sure this has been talked about before, but I am a little peeved about the $25 ticketing charge I was, well charged, for calling in and confirming an upgrade request for an international flight using miles.

Listen, I understand getting charged $25 for calling in and making a reservation (I fly DL, king of the charge). Having a reservation made over the phone is something that can easily be done online, however, its a hard argument to have with the majority of us on here who have status in one shape or form and should never get charged. From reservations to obtaining an upg, I have never been once charged for the ticketing fee on DL. I have equal status on both (DL GM/AA PLT).

Its a completely different animal when I have no choice but to call AA res to book in the award reservation and I get charged $25 when I *have* to call. I am fairly new to the AA game, so forgive my ignorance on this. But if AA forces us to have to call to confirm or waitlist for the upg, don't charge for this. Otherwise, make it available on the website and continue to charge away.

And if there is a way, can someone point me in the right direction on the website for future reference?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP
GLD/PLT are still subject to phone ticketing fees. I don't think, however, that the fee applies to upgrade awards because this isn't a new reservation, but rather a modification to an existing award.

I took a look at AA's FAQ for Reservations Fees (http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/FAQs/...tions.jsp#fees).

The only fee that might potentially apply here, in my opinion is: "A charge of $25 USD will also apply when our reservations representatives assist with voluntary itinerary changes when the reservation was not created by American Airlines Reservations or on AA.com."

Was your reservation made directly with AA? I recall a thread a while back about AA charging a fee for reservations ticketed by third parties, even when the passenger was asking for a mere seat assignment. Perhaps this applies?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:02 pm

AA is pretty good at this Catch-22 charge, where you have no other choice but to call in.

Unless they've changed, Reduced Mileage Awards for Citibank cards requires you to call in and be surcharged, even though they're advertised as a great benefit.

Maybe AA should hire some people in the computer department to figure out how to do all this online, or fire some people in marketing for annoying their passengers so much with this surcharge gimmick!!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Unfortunately I think thats where they get you in that particular reference:

A charge of $25 USD will also apply when our reservations representatives assist with voluntary itinerary changes when the reservation was not created by American Airlines Reservations or on AA.com

Bold is mine. But my reservation was paid directly thru AA.com. Don't get me wrong, its a pain in the butt to pay this, but I guess on the bright side, I couldn't have upgraded on this kind of ticket thru DL as their rules suck for international travel.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Hasn't it been rumored that BA awards will be bookable online within the next couple months and some other OW carriers later this year?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by dayone
Hasn't it been rumored that BA awards will be bookable online within the next couple months and some other OW carriers later this year?
That would be great. I'm sure that now Maya is CIO, she'll be trying to integrate some things to address lessons learned during her time as president of AAdvantage.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Maybe I'm alone in my opinion

but I am perfectly happy to pary the $25 phone fee when a reservation gets too complicated for my to have confidence in my ability to do the booking by myself.

I think of it as mistake prevention.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 3:12 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
I have a question - as I am making the award ticket over phone for intra-Asia travel on CX and I have non-US/CA credit card then where in Europe I should ticket it to have the lowest possible phone ticketing fee? In US it is 25USD, but in Finland for example 50 EUR!!

Or has anyone tried European CC with giving fake US address (i.e. street is the same and town, but wrong zip and state)?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:08 am
Suspended

You'd be asking for trouble if you gave a fake address (and deservedly so).
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
You'd be asking for trouble if you gave a fake address (and deservedly so).
Well, I ask only them to accept non-US/CA credit card. Some of us occasionally flying on AA live also in Europe. Or perhaps they do not want clients, that's perhaps one of the reasons to be under Chapter 11.

... or they should make their award online system similar to UA's so that everyone can book all the carriers there, that would also reduce the call-centre loads.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
but I am perfectly happy to pary the $25 phone fee when a reservation gets too complicated for my to have confidence in my ability to do the booking by myself.

I think of it as mistake prevention.
If it were *that* complicated perhaps, but being charged to book with a rep for a one way from Europe, simply because it's not available online is absurd.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:05 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by TTnC4me
If it were *that* complicated perhaps, but being charged to book with a rep for a one way from Europe, simply because it's not available online is absurd.
if its not worth the fee, don't book it....buy a ticket on line & save your mi for a trip you can book on line....
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got hit with this fee a couple of weeks ago when booking an award ticket involving a CX segment. It sucks but it's the cost of doing business these days
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Fims
I have a question - as I am making the award ticket over phone for intra-Asia travel on CX and I have non-US/CA credit card then where in Europe I should ticket it to have the lowest possible phone ticketing fee? In US it is 25USD, but in Finland for example 50 EUR!!

Or has anyone tried European CC with giving fake US address (i.e. street is the same and town, but wrong zip and state)?
Call Dublin and use your European CC and your address . Phone ticketing fee is 15 EUR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.