Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: MIA / Miami Connection & Times - Domestic & International (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: MIA / Miami Connection & Times - Domestic & International (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Club Gold, HHonors Gold
I booked a flight later in the year to CDG from TPA via MIA for my family. When I was on the phone I just told the agent what days I will be traveling and they booked me with the SWU already cleared. I thought great!
When I got my confirmation email I realized she put me on flight 1947 from TPA-MIA arriving at 5:30pm, and leaving on 62 MIA-CDG at 6:20. I really get nervous with such short connections, but I assume I will be ok? When I called that day to see if I could get put on an earlier flight down to MIA they told me that they would have to cancel the whole reservation since the flights are 'married' and I would lose the confirmed upgrades and it was unsure if I would get them back, so I left it as is after the agent insisted that was ample time.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by vitacura
I booked a flight later in the year to CDG from TPA via MIA for my family. When I was on the phone I just told the agent what days I will be traveling and they booked me with the SWU already cleared. I thought great!
When I got my confirmation email I realized she put me on flight 1947 from TPA-MIA arriving at 5:30pm, and leaving on 62 MIA-CDG at 6:20. I really get nervous with such short connections, but I assume I will be ok? When I called that day to see if I could get put on an earlier flight down to MIA they told me that they would have to cancel the whole reservation since the flights are 'married' and I would lose the confirmed upgrades and it was unsure if I would get them back, so I left it as is after the agent insisted that was ample time.
That is cutting fairly close. If the flight from TPA is on time you will probably arrive at the gate a little after boarding commences, depending upon the distance between your gates. My suggestion is to call 12 hours out for a same day confirm on an earlier flight ($50). The TA at the EXP desk should know how to do this even though its part of an international ticket. And then get to MIA early and enjoy the FL lounge instead of stressing.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
I agree with NYGeorge and frankly even if I did make the connection, would be worried about whether my bags did too.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Club Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
That is cutting fairly close. If the flight from TPA is on time you will probably arrive at the gate a little after boarding commences, depending upon the distance between your gates. My suggestion is to call 12 hours out for a same day confirm on an earlier flight ($50). The TA at the EXP desk should know how to do this even though its part of an international ticket. And then get to MIA early and enjoy the FL lounge instead of stressing.
Can I call the EXP desk to get CFC or must I be physically at the airport check-in counter? Also, considering we are checking bags. There are four of us, all with status on AA, but I guess that does not matter for CFC and we would have to pay $200. That still may be worth the peace of mind to ensure we, and our luggage make it.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vitacura
Can I call the EXP desk to get CFC or must I be physically at the airport check-in counter? Also, considering we are checking bags. There are four of us, all with status on AA, but I guess that does not matter for CFC and we would have to pay $200. That still may be worth the peace of mind to ensure we, and our luggage make it.

Yes, call the EXP desk at 12 hours out. Having four paxs could make it more difficult. You will likely pay the entire $200 but "maybe" the EXP TA would cut you some slack on the cost. You could always ask, the most you will get is a no.
Old May 30, 2010, 8:59 am

Question on Miami terminal and connecting flight

We've booked flights for Feb. 2011 from Toronto to Grand Cayman via Miami with an 1 hour 40 between flight time. Somewhere I remember that at one time we had to go into another security check between terminals? Am I correct and for those familar with Miami, do we have enough time to connect?
Old May 30, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
For your trip from Toronto to Grand Cayman, you will pre-clear US CBP in Toronto, so you will arrive into Miami as if you were a domestic US flight (i.e. you will enter directly into the Miami terminal. No extra security check at Miami.)

For your trip from Grand Cayman back to Toronto, you will have to clear US CBP in Miami and then go back through security. Regarding the timeliness of this transfer, I will defer to those more familiar with Miami particulars for confirmation, but 1:40 is usually enough for this process at AA gateway cities, assuming you arrive into Miami on time.
Old May 30, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by ty97
For your trip from Toronto to Grand Cayman, you will pre-clear US CBP in Toronto, so you will arrive into Miami as if you were a domestic US flight (i.e. you will enter directly into the Miami terminal. No extra security check at Miami.)

For your trip from Grand Cayman back to Toronto, you will have to clear US CBP in Miami and then go back through security. Regarding the timeliness of this transfer, I will defer to those more familiar with Miami particulars for confirmation, but 1:40 is usually enough for this process at AA gateway cities, assuming you arrive into Miami on time.
Without having to go through customs, 1;40 is plenty of time in Miami. This applies even if you have to go to Terminal E using the train. You will not have to clear security again.
Old May 30, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PLT,HH-PLT
and thank god for that. Connecting through Miami Terminal E to any domestic flight outside That Terminal is just horrendous!! And just to make it worse, you actually walk above/through terminal D as you complete the what feels like 3 mile walk to even reach the customs terminal!!

Oh yea, back to your question, no worries on time in that most flights to Grand Cayman via AA use American Eagle and the ATR, which usually all depart right out of the same area-
Old May 30, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by roseboys3
and thank god for that. Connecting through Miami Terminal E to any domestic flight outside That Terminal is just horrendous!! And just to make it worse, you actually walk above/through terminal D as you complete the what feels like 3 mile walk to even reach the customs terminal!!

Oh yea, back to your question, no worries on time in that most flights to Grand Cayman via AA use American Eagle and the ATR, which usually all depart right out of the same area-
Living in Grand Cayman, and flying regularly to and from Miami, I must confess that not once have I flown that route on American Eagle. There must be some secret flights I am not aware of.....
Old May 30, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by roseboys3

American Eagle does not fly to Grand Cayman. All flights are on 737s.

Also, AA will not be using Concourse E come February 2011, so that is not an issue for the OP.
Old May 30, 2010, 3:49 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Nanceetom
We've booked flights for Feb. 2011 from Toronto to Grand Cayman via Miami with an 1 hour 40 between flight time. Somewhere I remember that at one time we had to go into another security check between terminals? Am I correct and for those familar with Miami, do we have enough time to connect?
Greetings, Nanceetom - your thread has now been merged into the consolidated thread on MIA connections - be sure to check the first post of this thread for general information.

/Moderator
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
I will have a tight connection CUN-MIA-EWR arriving at 7:45PM and departing at 9:20PM on Sun. If CUN-MIA is delayed due to weather and I miss connection flight to EWR,I need one night stay at MIA. In this case, will AA give me a hotel voucher?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I will have a tight connection CUN-MIA-EWR arriving at 7:45PM and departing at 9:20PM on Sun. If CUN-MIA is delayed due to weather and I miss connection flight to EWR,I need one night stay at MIA. In this case, will AA give me a hotel voucher?
AA likely won't pay for weather but should help you with a distressed traveler hotel rate.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
AA likely won't pay for weather but should help you with a distressed traveler hotel rate.
Thanks. May be I will buy cheap travel insurance for just in case.

I just checked flight status yesterday and found that CUN-MIA was delayed about 1 hour but MIA-EWR was actually cancelled
I have no idea whay AA 1382 on May 31st was cancelled but I believe all pssengers got hotel voucher in this case

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.