Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Co-terminal awards?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Co-terminal awards?

I'm holding three tickets (2 pd, on Z award) DCA-DFW. We'd like to add another person using another Z award, though our original flights now have no Z availability. There are Z seats on roughly equivalent-timed IAD-DFW round trips. Can we book the IAD-DFW trip and then change to DCA for no fee or would that require a full reissue?

Other alternative would be to do AAnytime ex-DCA, though that wouldn't be the ideal.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:52 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Offically, once ticketed IAD - DFW a change to DCA - DFW will be a $150 change fee. That said there are agents who let that kind of change slide.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Coterminal technically applies only if the detailed fare rules state as such.

Interestingly, I just bought a normal domestic L fare ex-JFK and there was a special endorsement in the fare rules: JFK ONLY. I've never seen that before! Virtually every ticket has said that NYC=JFK/LGA/etc and I can stand by from anywhere listed. Never had it restricted to a single station before.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Coterminal technically applies only if the detailed fare rules state as such.

Interestingly, I just bought a normal domestic L fare ex-JFK and there was a special endorsement in the fare rules: JFK ONLY. I've never seen that before! Virtually every ticket has said that NYC=JFK/LGA/etc and I can stand by from anywhere listed. Never had it restricted to a single station before.
They have been known to do that on competitive response fares to JetBlue/B6.

The co-terminal rules for paid and award tickets are different. You are entitled on an award ticket to use a very broad set of domestic coterminals (see one recent thread on booking to Hawaii through Los Angeles, arriving BUR and departing via connection at LAX; that's allowed). As for the original question from the OP, "does a change of co-terminal at the connection point equal a change of routing for award-change fee purposes?", I don't know. Does "routing" mean airport or city?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by HNL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Offically, once ticketed IAD - DFW a change to DCA - DFW will be a $150 change fee. That said there are agents who let that kind of change slide.
A confirmed change to the routing would require the fee, but same-day standby to/from a co-terminal is typically free.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by martin33
As for the original question from the OP, "does a change of co-terminal at the connection point equal a change of routing for award-change fee purposes?", I don't know. Does "routing" mean airport or city?
Either would be a non-stop routing, I just can't seem to find anything clarifying the fare rules... perhaps that's a function of an early flight this morning.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Either would be a non-stop routing, I just can't seem to find anything clarifying the fare rules... perhaps that's a function of an early flight this morning.
oops, I mis-read the original and thought that WAS was a connecting point not a terminal. Please do ask about whether changing the award ticket would be allowed fee-free; it seems like a question many will have use of an answer for. The paid tickets, as you note, will all depend on the fine print in the fare rules.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If there are no Z seats available DCA-DFW, how could you change a Z ticket IAD-DFW to a Z ticket DCA-DFW, even if it an agent were to allow the change with no fee? If you are asking if you could standby at DCA while holding a Z-ticket IAD-DFW, that is another question, but do you really want to risk that? Am I missing something here?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:18 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by JerryFF
If there are no Z seats available DCA-DFW, how could you change a Z ticket IAD-DFW to a Z ticket DCA-DFW, even if it an agent were to allow the change with no fee? If you are asking if you could standby at DCA while holding a Z-ticket IAD-DFW, that is another question, but do you really want to risk that? Am I missing something here?
Considering it would be standby for F it's probably not a bad risk (assuming standby F clears before same day upgrades, not sure how that works). At worst, I would assume the pax would get to fly in coach.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Right now I have the IAD ticket on hold. What I'd like to find out is if I issue the award ex-IAD, then Z seats become available ex-DCA could it be changed without the $150 reissue fee. The AAgent didn't seem too sure.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:52 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Right now I have the IAD ticket on hold. What I'd like to find out is if I issue the award ex-IAD, then Z seats become available ex-DCA could it be changed without the $150 reissue fee. The AAgent didn't seem too sure.
Per the rules you will be charged the $150 USD. Some agents overlook this. Some do not.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Per the rules you will be charged the $150 USD. Some agents overlook this. Some do not.
that's a confident reading of the rules, particularly since they seem to have changed in recent months. finally found a link to the newest rule verbiage:

A $150 USD charge (subject to change without notice) will apply for a confirmed change to an eligible origin or destination on a MileSAAver award. Changes to an eligible origin or destination on AAnytime awards are allowed at no charge.

In air ticketing jargon, isn't point of "origin" a city rather than an airport?

As a side observation: the rule as stated on the linked page appears to omit routing changes, a separate issue but one that definitely used to incur a fee specifically-- I can't seem to find the previous rule version, but didn't it say something about changes to cities or routing costing, but time and date changes being free?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I had a similar situation last month, where I was late enough booking an intl U saver award to CDG that I had to fly through BOS. I phoned AA to ask whether I could switch to a JFK departure without penalty if a seat opened up. As my connecting flight originated from LGA the agent said that would incur a change fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.