Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-DUS-ORD, AA242 & AA241 flight report

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT

I just recently did this trip, here is a report that might help others. I wont go too much into details on the food, movie selections, etc. Just the basic things.
ORD-DUS, AA242 flight departs from the domestic terminal 3 in Chicago from gate K15, its a 767 plane. Boarding process was quick and departure very timely. We were sitting on business class, one of the BUS lav was inoperative during the flight, but it didn't cause any concerns at all. Crew was very attentive and top notch all around.
Arrived DUS at 6:45am, 15 minutes ahead of time, gate was C45, as soon as you deplane, there is a OW representative directing passengers to their connecting flights, baggage claim and customs. There is a restroom facility and cafe right by the arrival gate. Restrooms were very clean. There are no moving escalator to take you to the baggage and customs area, just stairs. This was a bit of a hassle since mostly everyone had carry-on and were slowed walking down the stair. I didn't notice if there was a lift nearby, as there was no signage. Customs process was quick, as there were no other international arrival flights at the time.
Airport looks modern, clean, and offers various selections for food. There is a supermarket in the lower level and their prices are very reasonable to what we noticed in other areas. Once you go through customs, and get your luggage, you can board the bus right outside, however, if you are taking train transportation to other areas, you must board a SKYLINK, which will take you to other terminals and finally the train terminal. We took the train to Cologne, it was a 40 minute train ride.
Return flight, DUS-ORD, AA241, another 767. Make note that as of today, there is no outside signage to the AA counter, nor do the taxi or bus drivers know either. It is Terminal B, counter # 141-147. 141 is for ticket sales, 142-143 is the business class check-in, 144-147 is coach check-in. Check in process was quick, however the agent was very strict in that we both had to be looking at her when she was talking to us, we were asked on 5 separate occasions during the check in process if we had received anything from an outside source to carry, or the whereabouts of our baggage. I know this is customary, but 5X is a bit too much.
Departure gate will be C45 (same as arrival gate), and you have access to the Air Berlin lounge. You have to show your passport and BP prior to entering security, there are 5 separate security lines that are open at the time, and the process was quick also. After security is passport control, which was also quick, after passport control, you have to go up the stairs (no escalators or lift) to get to the gate area. Several duty free shops along the area, the AB lounge is close to gate C44, and you have to go up the stairs again (no escalator/lift). The AB lounge is kinda small, considering that they also share the space with Delta, and other OW carriers. There are several flights departing at that time, your odds of getting a chair decreases the latter you get in.
There are no flight announcements at the lounge, nor flight displays. Boarding process starts at 9:00am for the flight, we were asked again if anyone gave us anything to carry on, the where about of our luggage since the time we arrived at the airport. I was selected for extra security check, guess I was dressed too leisurely with my MINISTRY shirt, but no biggie, I had nothing to hide. Departure was timely, and with no incidents.
All together, by the time we arrived at the airport until the lounge it was about 45 minutes, and that takes into account that I lost 10 minutes trying to find the check in counter. I was kinda surprised at the lack of escalator or lifts throughout the airport. For those that bring several carry on luggage should take this into account. Overall, great flight experience.
Old May 27, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Thank you for this. I was actually on the plane the 4th day this route existed but we were all de-planed and instead of waiting around got re-routed through LHR (ultimate goal was VIE).

Anyways, I'll actually be looking to get to Koln from the train via the DUS airport-- anything helpful to know regarding that?
Old May 27, 2013, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Anyways, I'll actually be looking to get to Koln from the train via the DUS airport-- anything helpful to know regarding that?
Nothing special, ticket cost is 10.80EUR each way, transit time from DUS airport to KOLN HBF is about 40 minutes. There are several stops along the way, I think about 10 or so, but I wasn't counting. KOLN HBF is close to the Dom, and some hotels within walking distance, Ibis, Hilton, Dom Hotel, and others that I forgot their name. We stayed @ Hilton, easy 5 minute walk from KOLN HBF.

Last edited by arollins; May 28, 2013 at 5:11 am
Old May 27, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Thank you for this. I was actually on the plane the 4th day this route existed but we were all de-planed and instead of waiting around got re-routed through LHR (ultimate goal was VIE).

Did train from DUS to Koln in Dec.
http://www.bahn.com/i/view/DEU/en/index.shtml

Pretty easy as arollins said, about 40 or so minutes.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Escalators/lifts are available in the airport (including the AB lounge).

Check-in counters are listed in the departure screens.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:14 am

Great report--thanks! Which business class seats did this aircraft have?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:01 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfklaxogg
Great report--thanks! Which business class seats did this aircraft have?
The same as all the 763s, 772s, and 75Ls. Angle flat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.