Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

Note: Main Cabin Extra has been rolled out for the 767-323ER; the forward coach mini-cabin has gone from four to three rows of seats, and which of them are best are discussed here:
Best MCE / Main Cabin Extra seats on the 763 / 767-300 (consolidated).

AA thread describing MCE . . . . . . . . . . . FT main general MCE thread
Print Wikipost

Best 763 / 767-300ER coach / Y seat / seating (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Recently had 11A on SFO-DFW -- great seat (for coach). There were 16 EXPs on the upgrade standby list, so I didn't even put myself on (I'm Plat and didn't have the stickers), as the flight had been F1 or F2 for more than a week prior to departure.

I could almost see myself doing a long-haul in row 11.
Does the app show the status of pax standing by for upgrades? I don't remember seeing status on the gate monitors or on the app.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scnzzz
Does the app show the status of pax standing by for upgrades? I don't remember seeing status on the gate monitors or on the app.
No, I asked the agent at the Admiral's Club, because I suspected there would be a lot of EXPs on the list since F was nearly full before the 100 hour mark.

FWIW, this was 16 EXPs out of about 26 total on the list. Definitely seems like the Golds/Plats who have to use stickers pass on the opportunity a lot.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 4:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AA956
I have selected 12J, and 21J for two different TATL flights. Are those ok? I mean, they all fully recline, and have their own windows, don't they? I haven't flown the 763 for a while :P
12J has a misaligned window so you will have to lean a bit to see out. They also have full recline but when the seat in front of you reclines you will feel it.

21J is going to have some chill due to it being the exit row and has fixed armrests.

Either/or are good choices for a longhaul flight.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
row 12 or 21 on 763?

Hi all,
I am trying to decide between row 12 (MCE in the mini cabin) versus row 21 (second exit row in main cabin). It is an overnight flight, so the extra legroom is going to be important--I'm hoping I can use my briefcase as a legrest. I know that the BEST possible row is 11, but it already is taken (I will set up an EF seat alert).

Obviously my preference is for the upgrade to clear, but in the event that I'm stuck in Y, which do you think would be better, 12D or 21H?

Thanks so much!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Hi all,
I am trying to decide between row 12 (MCE in the mini cabin) versus row 21 (second exit row in main cabin). It is an overnight flight, so the extra legroom is going to be important--I'm hoping I can use my briefcase as a legrest. I know that the BEST possible row is 11, but it already is taken (I will set up an EF seat alert).

Obviously my preference is for the upgrade to clear, but in the event that I'm stuck in Y, which do you think would be better, 12D or 21H?

Thanks so much!
If you want legroom, row 21 is superior. You won't have to worry about the recline as much as in row 12 (it really feels like row 11's seat is in your lap) and as you're in the aisle you won't have to worry about the cold as much. Plus, the difference in getting off the plane quickly is negligible at best.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
If you want legroom, row 21 is superior. You won't have to worry about the recline as much as in row 12 (it really feels like row 11's seat is in your lap) and as you're in the aisle you won't have to worry about the cold as much. Plus, the difference in getting off the plane quickly is negligible at best.

Thanks so much!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

Haven't read through the whole thread, but from what I've read it sounds like 13A is better than 20A for my SFO-MIA trip next month. Could someone confirm?

I know 13A doesn't have much of a view and is near the galley, but those are the only two non-standard window seats left. I'd originally picked 20 on the theory that it's an exit row, but the comments here have persuaded me otherwise.

Also, am I correct in assuming that if other exit or MCE seats open up, my order of preference should be 21, 11, 12?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
YES. The view from 13A isn't that bad - there's a window; you just need to lean forward a bit as it's slightly misaligned.

It does have the lav directly behind it but I didn't find that much of a disturbance. Same for the galley, even on long-haul flights with meal service(s). Remember, this is coach on a US carrier...

My own order of preference on the 763 would be 17JA (the crew rest "superseats" - arrive early and try at the gate, if the flight is shorter than 8 hours these may be given to pax!) , then 11AJ, then 13 AJ, then 21 AJ, then 12AJ. 20 is exit row in name only with all the disadvantages and none of the advantages; a standard bulkhead seat with not so much extra legroom.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:11 am

Hi

How is the 27J seat?
The window is aligned?
I'll have good view from there?

Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much! Much appreciated.

A bit curious why you prefer 13 to 21 and 12, but I realize we're talking about minor differences.

Originally Posted by bhomburg
YES. The view from 13A isn't that bad - there's a window; you just need to lean forward a bit as it's slightly misaligned.

It does have the lav directly behind it but I didn't find that much of a disturbance. Same for the galley, even on long-haul flights with meal service(s). Remember, this is coach on a US carrier...

My own order of preference on the 763 would be 17JA (the crew rest "superseats" - arrive early and try at the gate, if the flight is shorter than 8 hours these may be given to pax!) , then 11AJ, then 13 AJ, then 21 AJ, then 12AJ. 20 is exit row in name only with all the disadvantages and none of the advantages; a standard bulkhead seat with not so much extra legroom.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:49 pm

21 is an exit row with all those restrictions that come with exit rows (no objects on the floor - I've had crews objecting against me using my carryon as footrest even at cruising altitude), plus it can get pretty cold.

12 has the misaligned window (visible in the picture above) which makes enjoying the view pretty hard - I have neck issues and can't turn it to the extent most people can - and defeats the point of having a window seat. If you don't care much about the view, Row 12 is fine. Lots of legroom even when Row11 reclines all the way.

13 has a ton of space behind the seats. Perfect for traveling with a dog which I do sometimes.
And, as you have discovered yourself, 13 usually is the row to fill last. Also, I've had the most luck with B remaining empty in 13 even on pretty full flights.

I really like the MCE mini-cabin in the AA 763s. For coach seating, it feels positively private in there.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great info. Thanks again!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by chnxx
How is the 27J seat?
The window is aligned?
I'll have good view from there?!
cramped
Windows should be aligned. I sat in 27A once (rebooked into after missing my connection - bloody DFW gate changes!) and cannot remember anything particularly negative about the window and the view it affords.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by bhomburg
cramped
Windows should be aligned. I sat in 27A once (rebooked into after missing my connection - bloody DFW gate changes!) and cannot remember anything particularly negative about the window and the view it affords.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.