Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Is AA 185 (Aug 8 2008) Running So Late?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2008, 6:15 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Why Is AA 185 (Aug 8 2008) Running So Late?

This is just a curiosity question, taking advantage of the broad knowledge here.

AA 185 (8:30pm from JFK-LAX) has a very low on-time percentage (below 40%). For the last couple of nights it has departed about 3 hours late. I called AA this morning and they said that the comment, for last night, was "waiting for equipment." But the agent I was speaking with was not able to determine where the equipment was coming from.

Does anyone have any insight into this flight? Where is the equipment coming from for tonight's flight?
Old Aug 8, 2008, 6:25 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Based on flight status on aa.co, it looks like 185 is scheduled to be a turn of 40. AA40 runs LAX-JFK, scheduled to arrive Gate 5 at JFK at 7:24pm. 185 is scheduled to leave from Gate 5 at 8:30pm.

Of course, the equipment can change, they don't have to use the equipment from 40. However, I think the only routes out of JFK that use 762 are LAX, SFO, and MIA, so the equipment would come from one of those inbounds.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sbrower
This is just a curiosity question, taking advantage of the broad knowledge here.

AA 185 (8:30pm from JFK-LAX) has a very low on-time percentage (below 40%). For the last couple of nights it has departed about 3 hours late. I called AA this morning and they said that the comment, for last night, was "waiting for equipment." But the agent I was speaking with was not able to determine where the equipment was coming from.

Does anyone have any insight into this flight? Where is the equipment coming from for tonight's flight?
I think you'll find many post 6 pm JFK departures have low on-time departure #s.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:23 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I think you'll find many post 6 pm JFK departures have low on-time departure #s.
I just took a look at this on ExpertFlyer. Actually, the *lowest* on time, of the AA JFK-LAX is the flight at about 4:30, at a stunning 13%.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, *wood
Welcome to JFK traffic, weather, equipment/MX, etc. Take your pick.

JFK-LAX was the last leg of my 3x AADER MRs and lucky for me the delays worked in my favor as a backup whenever my JFK inbound flts from SJU were delayed. I was usually confirmed on the flt departing one hour earlier. The inevitable delay into JFK usually got me bounced onto AA185 with a very tight connection.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
Based on flight status on aa.co, it looks like 185 is scheduled to be a turn of 40. AA40 runs LAX-JFK, scheduled to arrive Gate 5 at JFK at 7:24pm. 185 is scheduled to leave from Gate 5 at 8:30pm.

Of course, the equipment can change, they don't have to use the equipment from 40. However, I think the only routes out of JFK that use 762 are LAX, SFO, and MIA, so the equipment would come from one of those inbounds.
Don't forget BDA, once a day RT.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

IME, phone agents do not have access to information like where the crew and/or equipment are originating. Or perhaps they know but are well trained to say that they don't, like with the upgrade standby lists.

(Airport agents generally are very forthcoming with info like the origin of the crew/equipment. Next time you want this info, you might try calling your hometown AC directly and asking your favorite AAngel to check it for you in the system.)
Old Aug 8, 2008, 5:09 pm

This summer has been especially bad for the LAX-JFK-LAX flights... The almost daily thunderstorms have delayed me more often than not. Just two weeks ago my flight AA 30 was CANCELLED from LAX-JFk and I had to return the next day for my flight....
Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:49 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RTW4
This summer has been especially bad for the LAX-JFK-LAX flights... The almost daily thunderstorms have delayed me more often than not. Just two weeks ago my flight AA 30 was CANCELLED from LAX-JFk and I had to return the next day for my flight....
Today's AA30 seems to be hanging in there. I've noticed that sometimes the aircraft for AA30 is a direct inbound, and other times its a plane that was sitting out by maintenance. I'm guessing its a combination of utilization and delays at JFK dictating the exact aircraft to be used.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:23 am

The inbound for 30 seems to be 21, when all goes according to plan. I have been there with you when 30 goes at 2am. The bigger problem is when 185 is delayed from the inbound of 40. Big time bumer.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 1:05 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I was concerned about my flight today (Friday). While many of the earlier flights were delayed, some by hours, 185 ran better than expected. Left the gate at 8:30 and managed to lift off the runway at JFK at 8:42 (NO traffic - drove to the runway and took off without braking). Landed at LAX almost 45 minutes early. (And, as a Platinum, I got gate upgrade).
Old Aug 9, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I was concerned about my flight today (Friday). While many of the earlier flights were delayed, some by hours, 185 ran better than expected. Left the gate at 8:30 and managed to lift off the runway at JFK at 8:42 (NO traffic - drove to the runway and took off without braking). Landed at LAX almost 45 minutes early. (And, as a Platinum, I got gate upgrade).
Score on all accounts.. congrats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.