Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge access based on oneworld status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Hi, sorry for being dim but I've searched and I think I've found my answer, but would like someone in the know to confirm I've got it right.

I'm planning our Christmas holiday in Florida and will initially be flying MAN-ORD-MCO. I've looked at the admit policy on AA.com for AC. Am I reading the small print right in that, with PLT status, irrespective of the class of service, I can gain access to the AC at ORD? The small print says:

AAdvantage Executive Platinum® and AAdvantage Platinum® members must be departing on a oneworld operated/marketed flight that day. Excludes AAdvantage members traveling on solely North American itineraries. North America is defined as U.S. (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

Because we will still be "mid trip", does anyone anticipate we'd have any problem in getting into the AC?

On the return, we'll be flying MCO-DFW-ORD-MAN (doing this route to maximise miles and to fly on the DFW-ORD 777 for the J seats!) - I assume we'd have access to the DFW AC and the ORD AC?

PS Failing that, would we be able to get into the BA lounges at ORD and DFW based on status? I should mention it's two of us travelling and we're both PLT.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:07 pm

You will have access to any and all ACs during your trip. Make sure you get 2 free drink chits for everybody in your party. Sometimes the AC dragons will either "forget" or try to give you 1.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

2 free drink chits each ... that's going to go a long way after an 8.5 hr flight! How much are drinks in AC? For example, a large freely poured JD with one ice cube and a teaspoon of Coke.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nacirema
You will have access to any and all ACs during your trip. Make sure you get 2 free drink chits for everybody in your party. Sometimes the AC dragons will either "forget" or try to give you 1.

Have a great trip!
Nobody has ever given me "free drink chits" at any AC. What am I missing?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy
You don't get the drink chits as a member. You only get the chits during a "true" (AA's definition) same day international itn with Plat or EXP status or OW = status.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I am assuming that you will not overnight in ORD. Otherwise they may claim that since it is a departure lounge and you are not departing, you have no access. But, even if that is the case, I believe that rule is not enforced consistently.

Yes, you can access the AC even if you fly coach. Drinks are about $5 and food such as salads and sandwiches are about $7-9

Depending on the length of your lay over, you can go from AC to AC in ORD to extend your drink privilege that way.

Velvet Kenny:
Drink Chits are paper coupons you get for free drinks THAT day at the AC. You get them when you fly J/F internationally (following AA's screwed up geographical definition) or if you are EXP/PLT in any class of service internationally on the same day. Sometimes you have to ask.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deltahater
I am assuming that you will not overnight in ORD. Otherwise they may claim that since it is a departure lounge and you are not departing, you have no access. But, even if that is the case, I believe that rule is not enforced consistently.
The idea is to fly AA55 MAN-ORD on Xmas Day and then AA1208 ORD-MCO the same day - 2 hrs 25 between flights (if they're on time) but allow time to get between terminals, re-check baggage, clear security.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You are eligible, as a oneworld Sapphire, to use the Admirals Club (or other oneworld lounge) at each location during the day of international travel on oneworld ticketing and metal. The MAN Terraces Lounge prior to departure, and you will be able to use the ORD AC as well (and would be able to if there was an AC in Orlando as well - alas, there is none.)

If you return with the MCO-DFW-ORD-MAN routing, you would have access at the DFW and ORD ACs, with drinks chits at each. Cheers!

See here for the Admirals Club admit polices, including some decent illustrative scenarios.

And, yes, you will be eligible to receive two free drink chits (each) for you and your guest. (Admirals Club members sensu stricto are, as stated previously, ineligible for these unless their flight itinerary and oneworld status or class of service make them eligible to use the lounge, regardless of membership.)

Originally Posted by Aleks
The idea is to fly AA55 MAN-ORD on Xmas Day and then AA1208 ORD-MCO the same day - 2 hrs 25 between flights (if they're on time) but allow time to get between terminals, re-check baggage, clear security.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 20, 2007 at 4:31 pm Reason: change for return routing info
Old Jul 20, 2007, 4:29 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Aleks
... flying MAN-ORD-MCO
Be sure to visit the BA lounge at MAN. It's far better than any of the AA lounges you'll encounter during this trip!

You'll need to show 'em your International BP and your AA Plat card.
On the return, we'll be flying MCO-DFW-ORD-MAN
Alas you won't be able to visit the BA lounge at MAN because arriving pax are isolated from the departure areas. You -could- book a fully refundable ticket from MAN to anywhere (e.g. LHR), visit the MAN lounge after arrival from ORD, then cancel the refundable ticket. But since you'll be almost home anyway, it's probably more bother than it's worth.

Enjoy the BA lounge at MAN, and the ACs at ORD and DFW!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy
I bet you showed your AC membership card rather than your international boarding pass!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I didn't want to start a new thread for this shameful question, so I'll add it to this one

4 Passengers traveling PHX -> ORD -> FCO
All are in confirmed F Domestic / J International using mileage on a 763 2 class service flights
1 Passenger is EXP, 1 is Gold, 2 have no status

We have a 3 hour layover in ORD. ORD has a normal AC and a flagship AC. We would not be permitted the flagship AC, but could use the normal right?
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The EXP and a guest may access the ORD Flagship Lounge; all four of you may access the H/K Admirals Club (or the AC Service Center) in Chicago (NOT the Flagship Lounge, which is not an Admirals Club), the day of international departure. Information link.

The only exception might be if the two not your guest were your children or others residing in the EXP's household; I have seen EXPs and F/Z travelers with children in the Flagship Lounges.

Once again, I refer members to the Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Admit Policies on aa.com, which have several examples and handy access charts.

Originally Posted by omegadeal
<snip>
4 Passengers traveling PHX -> ORD -> FCO
All are in confirmed F Domestic / J International using mileage on a 763 2 class service flights
1 Passenger is EXP, 1 is Gold, 2 have no status

We have a 3 hour layover in ORD. ORD has a normal AC and a flagship AC. We would not be permitted the flagship AC, but could use the normal right?
Old Oct 28, 2007, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
The only exception might be if the two not your guest were your children or others residing in the EXP's household; I have seen EXPs and F/Z travelers with children in the Flagship Lounges.
The rule about 2 guests or immediate family plus heathcare/childcare providers is for AC membership access, not any OW access.

Technically, the rule for FL access based on EXP/Emerald status is only ONE guest. However, I seriously doubt that AA would deny access to minor children traveling with the EXP member. What would the kids do otherwise--hang out in the terminal by themselves while Mom and Dad enjoyed the FL???
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by JDiver
The EXP and a guest may access the ORD Flagship Lounge; all four of you may access the H/K Admirals Club (or the AC Service Center) in Chicago (NOT the Flagship Lounge, which is not an Admirals Club), the day of international departure. Information link.

Once again, I refer members to the Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Admit Policies on aa.com, which have several examples and handy access charts.

Interestingly, the staff at the new JFK AC/Flagship lounge showed me, in writing, their admit policies and it states no guest for an EXP on an international flight into the Flagship Lounge. I was there with my wife, flying in J internationally. They said we could go in the AC but not the first class lounge. I was finally able to politely talk my way in. They said others had also said their policy sheet was wrong. But it was right there in black and write on their instructions, no guest.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Interestingly, the staff at the new JFK AC/Flagship lounge showed me, in writing, their admit policies and it states no guest for an EXP on an international flight into the Flagship Lounge. I was there with my wife, flying in J internationally. They said we could go in the AC but not the first class lounge. I was finally able to politely talk my way in. They said others had also said their policy sheet was wrong. But it was right there in black and write on their instructions, no guest.
Odd. The oneworld site clearly states that 1 guest can be taken in by an Emerald member , however AA can restrict their own members if they wish. There is no infomation about such a restriction listed on the OW site though

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.